Author Topic: Double Smoked Spiral Cut Ham  (Read 925 times)

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Double Smoked Spiral Cut Ham
« Reply #-1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:36:46 AM »
I did this 9.2 pound ham cook on my Cobb Supreme Grill using one of my new proto-type Dome Extensions which is an accessory that I have obtained from Cobb Grill International Company that increases the total cooking height in the grill by about 2-1/2 more inches. This increased cooking height opens up many more cooking options for this fine Stainless Steel charcoal grill.

I served my spiral cut ham sandwich with some baked beans, some candied yams, and some veggies. I added some horsey sauce to my sandwich as well.

I brushed on a sticker, then sprinkled on a medium coat of a good pork rub and fancied it up with the pineapple and cherries.
In the background is one of my new "proto-type" Cobb Supreme Dome Extensions.

I maxed out the charcoal basket with 26 all hardwood charcoal briquets for this cook. I then added some hickory chunks for my smoke wood.

I decided to cook my ham in a tin foil half pan to make for an easy clean-up. I had to bend the corners down some to make it all fit into the cooker. Had some misting rain during the cook.

I wanted to run at a good barbecue cooking temperature of about 250-300F degrees so I closed off 4 of my 8 exhaust vents which in my opinion makes the cooker run like a dream at these temps. Had a nice amount of smoke coming out early into the cook from my hickory chunks.

I monitored both the cooker temperature and also the internal meat temperature with a remote thermometer setup during the cook. I had to put the sending unit in a bag to keep the rain off of it. The receiver went into the house with me. This old lazy cook likes his perks.

The ham about done and just after I brushed on the last coat of glaze.

Just off of the cooker and cooling down. I did have to add 6 more briquets and some more smoke wood during the cook.

Ham came out a little drier than I expected but is still very good. I think these sliced in advance hams will be a little drier than a non sliced ham.

It was a good practice cook for the upcoming holiday. It sure made a fine lunch.

I am anxious to try using the cooker with two of the new Dome Extensions which will allow me even more cooking space in the cooker. I want to try cooking on two levels. This higher cooking space will give me the room required to add a “rotisserie unit” to the grill. Now, that will be some real fun!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 03:58:11 AM by Old Dave »
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Double Smoked Spiral Cut Ham
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »
Very nice looking ham and sides Dave!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
Nice cook Dave.  :thumbup:
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:42:12 AM »
I am determined this Sunday to not have a dry ham. I like the convenience of spiral cut ham. Looks like a great meal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »
Ham looks fantastic! A few years ago, in order to prevent drying out a spiral ham, I decided to add a step to my process. I bought a bottle of pure maple syrup and drizzled it in-between every spiral slice of that ham before tossing it on the smoker. Resulted in one of the best hams I had ever made. I use maple syrup every time now :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:16:17 PM »
Looks awesome Dave!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill