Author Topic: I am not alone, am I???  (Read 1378 times)

Offline rwalters

I am not alone, am I???
« Reply #-1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
Can any of you relate, or do I need professional help?!?!

How many of you fine guys and gals think about meat, fire and cookers darn near 24/7?

Seriously, I wake up thinking about it, go through the day thinking about it, and my head hits the pillow thinking about it.

It's been like this for over 20 years.  I don't compete, I don't cook professionally, and some weeks (rarely) I am to busy to cook outdoors at all. I am simply a backyard dude that REALLY enjoys lighting a fire and cooking meat (and veggies when necessary)...

I find it highly intoxicating and therapeutic all at the same time :)

Please tell me that I am not alone?!?!?!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: I am not alone, am I???
« on: April 17, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
No your not alone in this.

But not only do I think of outdoor grilling, smoking and frying (with SRG's) my thoughts have turned to low carb breads, sauces, rubs and anything I can turn from high carb to low carb.

Kimmie thinks I lost my mind but we are down over 110 lbs between the two of us in a year and I have learned so much about food.

Heck I even get to buy toys from time to time such as the Air Fryer XL, the Deep Dish Upside down pizza maker and even today I just ordered a new bread mould for burger buns!

No sir your not alone  :D :D :D ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

I am not alone, am I
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:06:43 PM »
No your not alone in this.

But not only do I think of outdoor grilling, smoking and frying (with SRG's) my thoughts have turned to low carb breads, sauces, rubs and anything I can turn from high carb to low carb.

Kimmie thinks I lost my mind but we are down over 110 lbs between the two of us in a year and I have learned so much about food.

Heck I even get to buy toys from time to time such as the Air Fryer XL, the Deep Dish Upside down pizza maker and even today I just ordered a new bread mould for burger buns!

No sir your not alone  :D :D :D ;)
That’s awesome!! So, in this Past year, with all that you have learned, what have been your top 3 a-ha moments? Would love to hear!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
No you are not alone; I sometimes think that I do not have a life.  Everyone that I talk to it is about grilling and cookers.  I think that what is behind it is wanting to share what I have learned with others.  It is amazing how many people that I talk to do not really know about the best methods(recipes) to use and the ways to cook.  I use a pressure cooker, pellet grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil SRG, and TEC gas and they all have their place.  I also listen to a lot of cooking shows on TV; better than watching Naked and Afraid!!  I do not play golf so my spare time is spent elsewhere.  I like to salt water fish, but am getting older and that is harder to do.  I have a neighbor that bought a Weber kettle, and he started to cook wings, and now is ready for brisket.  I have tried to help him and he is liking it.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 05:34:11 PM »
No you are not alone; I sometimes think that I do not have a life.  Everyone that I talk to it is about grilling and cookers.  I think that what is behind it is wanting to share what I have learned with others.  It is amazing how many people that I talk to do not really know about the best methods(recipes) to use and the ways to cook.  I use a pressure cooker, pellet grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil SRG, and TEC gas and they all have their place.  I also listen to a lot of cooking shows on TV; better than watching Naked and Afraid!!  I do not play golf so my spare time is spent elsewhere.  I like to salt water fish, but am getting older and that is harder to do.  I have a neighbor that bought a Weber kettle, and he started to cook wings, and now is ready for brisket.  I have tried to help him and he is liking it.

Feeling a bit better that I am not alone :)

Like you, I love talking grilling/smoking/cooking/cookers!  One thing that I try very hard not to do is let it dominate me or my conversations.  I save that for this forum...lol.  If my wife only knew how often my mind was on outdoor cooking, she'd probably feel like I am cheating on her... it's really quite pathetic!  That's why I save much of my "Q" conversations for this place... with a bunch of other like minded addicts ;)

Offline Bayoucajun

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:52:03 PM »
As soon as I get home open my iPad to lets talk BBQ ,best site on the net if not thinking than reading.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
It's all I do, It's all I think about.

It is all about the next smokey meal.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

I am not alone, am I
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:31:31 PM »
I am so happy to know that I am not the only weirdo here!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
Why in the Sam Hill do you think this forum exists???  :)       We all need help, we are hickory smelling misfits...........:)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
I just love to cook. I prefer to cook outside, but also enjoy cooking in the kitchen.
V says "just fix anything", but I am always trying to think of something I can cook out on the deck.  :)
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
You asked if you are the only one...

I am there as well.  My wife will be talking about something and I'm thinking bbq.  On and on it goes...

Glad to have this "support group".
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline rwalters

I am not alone, am I
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:38:57 PM »

I am there as well.  My wife will be talking about something and I'm thinking bbq.  On and on it goes...

Support?!?!  Talk about a sick support model... I feel more like I am locked in the room with a bunch of enablers... and to be honest, I wouldn’t have it any other way :)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: I am not alone, am I
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 08:07:37 AM »

I am there as well.  My wife will be talking about something and I'm thinking BBQ.  On and on it goes...

Support?!?!  Talk about a sick support model... I feel more like I am locked in the room with a bunch of enablers... and to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Your right feels great to have folks feel the same way!!!

But I need a support group for BURNING MEAT  :(    If it ain't burnt Kimmie won't eat it and that's hard on a guy trying to cook ribs just right or a steak.

Sometimes I feel I need to start a post by saying "My name is TMB and my wife insist I BURN a good steak"  ;)   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

I am not alone, am I
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »

I am there as well.  My wife will be talking about something and I'm thinking BBQ.  On and on it goes...

Support?!?!  Talk about a sick support model... I feel more like I am locked in the room with a bunch of enablers... and to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way :)

But I need a support group for BURNING MEAT  :(    If it ain't burnt Kimmie won't eat it and that's hard on a guy trying to cook ribs just right or a steak.

Sometimes I feel I need to start a post by saying "My name is TMB and my wife insist I BURN a good steak"  ;)
I get it, the struggles real! Look on the bright side... for those of us that complain that our wives enjoy well done steak (155-160° IT), you make us feel a lot better when you tell us that your wife doesn’t even consider an IT of 187° to be quite done. Just look at all of the good you are doing by making the rest of us not feel so bad ;)

Thanks man!!!

Offline Dave R.

Re: I am not alone, am I
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »

I get it, the struggles real! Look on the bright side... for those of us that complain that our wives enjoy well done steak (155-160° IT), you make us feel a lot better when you tell us that your wife doesn’t even consider an IT of 187° to be quite done. Just look at all of the good you are doing by making the rest of us not feel so bad ;)

Thanks man!!!

We have 47 years behind us and it has only been the last couple that my bride has finally started to realize that a medium rare steak can actually taste good. In the past if not destroyed by over cooking a steak she would pop it into, dare I say, the microwave. Now I try to be patient but doing that has caused us to have discussions we normally would not have. As far as thinking BBQ day and night, I can't say I do. Main reason is my brain is only able to focus on one thing at a time. So if I'm driving a vehicle or using a power saw the BBQ stuff fades for a short time. ;D
MAK #3591