Author Topic: How do YOU prepare the ultimate burger patty?  (Read 2445 times)

Offline rwalters

How do YOU prepare the ultimate burger patty?
« Reply #-1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:30:59 PM »
It has been a long time quest of mine to produce a "to die for" burger patty on a consistant basis.  When I say "to die for", I am looking for:

1) A patty bursting with flavor!
2) Beyond moist, just dripping with juices!
3) A beautful, tasty crust WITH a nice grilled flavor!
4) A patty that has been kept relatively simple and tastes like good ole beef vs a bunch of seasonings, marinades, etc.

In my quest to find burger patty nirvana, I have tried numerous beef cut mixtures consisting of cuts like 100% ground chuck... somtimes mixing in tri-tip, rib-eye, brisket, etc.

I have cooked on pretty much every type of cooking surface that I am aware of.

So far my overall favorite cooking surface has been reversed (upside down) GrillGrates.  Makes for a killer griddle surface, BUT offers two huge advantages over a typical griddle... 1) The fat drips through the holes, landing in the fire and causing the flavor bombs that give you the typical "grilled" flavor that is soooo desirable (for most people).  2) The grease dripping through the holes keeps the griddle surface a good bit drier, making for a more intense sear/browning.

With this said, and as many attempts as I have made to produce the ultimate burger patty, I accidently stumbled upon something stupid-simple the other day...

I was at my local (favorite) meat market and noticed that they now have 2 packs (1/2 lb patties) of Wagyu burgers.  I bought 4 packs (8 patties) and brought them home to thaw for the following nights dinner.  Well, the following night came and I found myself up against the clock way more than I had anticipated.  I wanted to cook them on the Weber kettle, but only had time for the pellet muncher.  I was a bit frustrated as I really had wanted to give these burgers a bit more love.  Well, all I have left to say is that the burgers went on, and about 8-10 minutes later came off... and they were probably the best burger patties I have ever had.  The only difference that I can think of was the higher level of fat content.

I think I am going to start cooking burgers closer to a 70/30 ratio and see how that goes.

Soooo, who here has the secret to making repeatable ultimate burger patties.  Please do share... I WANNA LEARN!!!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 06:47:24 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: How do YOU prepare the ultimate burger patty?
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »
To be honest I’m still trying recipes out.   Have not found the perfect recipe yet ;)

But fun trying  :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:44:12 PM »
Check out these patties from a recent cook, this is why I love the GrillGrates!
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:45:05 PM »
To be honest I’m still trying recipes out.   Have not found the perfect recipe yet ;)

But fun trying  :thumbup:
Yes, it is fun indeed! :)

Offline Gtsum2

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
70/30 for sure. Unless you are grinding your own

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:47 PM »
I go 70/30   Pound em out by hand. Make them way larger than the bun and slightly on the thin side.

salt and pepper

on the grill

nice and simple
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »
So it sounds like the 80/20 rule I was brought up with was a LIE!!!!! :(

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:33:40 PM »
Just think 70/30 is tastier due to more fat.  Just gotta fight the flare ups. I usually go indirect a while and then on to the coals.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 09:36:04 PM »
90/10 for me........90% drinking beer & 10% eating burgers.......  hey I am a Jet fan you need something for the pain
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline rwalters

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
Just think 70/30 is tastier due to more fat.  Just gotta fight the flare ups. I usually go indirect a while and then on to the coals.
When cooking those 1/2 lb Wagyu burgers on the MAK at 450° there wasn’t one flare-up. Guessing there wouldn’t be much either on my kettle using GrillGrates. Gotta outsmart those flare-ups...lol.

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
You know I almost like all Burgers as perfect it is based on mood more than the meat ratio etc.

I like thick burgers the best on some days & thin better on others.  BUT Ketchup is a must Mayo is good at times as is lettuce or tomato.

Best of all was a fresh Sunbeam Roll made in Waterbury CT. Best ever

A NY hard roll is great at times too.

Ok today if i was to make a burger....It would be thick 80/20 on a hard roll with A-1, Ketchup, Blue. cheese Lettuce Tomato, onion & mushrooms.....lots of fresh pepper.  & a root beer
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Lantern

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:23 AM »
For ME I grind my own using either a combo of chuck and short rib or just chuck. I prefer thinner patties in order to keep the crust to inside meat ratio where I like it and double burgers taste even better. NOTHING is to be mixed into the meat as I am making a burger and not meatloaf. Seasonings go from a simple S&P to SPOG to Oakridge BBQ's santa Maria(you can see a pattern there). Cooking is on a flattop griddle until the crust is right.

On the burger... well I'm from NC so the first version is "all the way" or "all the way no chili" (all the way= chili, slaw, onions and mustard). My second version is green leafy lettuce, IN SEASON tomato, onion and mayo. Third version is mushroom and swiss with bacon jam.

You'll notice that I'm a weirdo in that while I LOVE bacon and cheese they do not grace my burgers with the exceptions of the mushroom swiss burger or if a type of burger requires a certain cheese.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
The problem with me saying the PERFECT burger is I like burgers thick one day then the next I might like a smashed thing crusty one !

Kinda like pizza, thick Chicago style is great but by the same token I love thin crispy crust NY style then you can add Detroit into the mix  ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Lantern

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
Hopefully we acknowledge that while we say THIS IS HOW IT'S DONE........we would totally eat about any burger and be happy.