Author Topic: Electric Trailer Dolly  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Dave R.

Electric Trailer Dolly
« Reply #-1 on: June 10, 2018, 06:50:11 AM »
I'm curious if anyone here has or has used an electric trailer dolly? We made an offer on a home that in order for me to get our boat into the garage I will need to unhook it from my truck and then use a dolly to back the trailer in the door. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate hearing them.
MAK #3591

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Electric Trailer Dolly
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »
Have not used one...but have a friend with a similar need. He fabricated somethingfor his lawn tractor that allows him to maneuver his boat into and out of his garage.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:17:39 AM »
Have not used one...but have a friend with a similar need. He fabricated somethingfor his lawn tractor that allows him to maneuver his boat into and out of his garage.

That would be easy enough to do I think but the tongue weight of this boat and trailer package is probably around 350 to 400 pounds and would likely overwhelm the mower. Thanks for the suggestion as it is a good one but unfortunately my circumstances are more restrictive.
MAK #3591

Offline DWard51

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 11:04:06 AM »
I've also seen a hitch receiver installed in the front of the truck to facilitate what you are talking about.  Unhitch, flip the truck around and push the boat in.  I've read about it for boats as you can still see around or over the boat to navigate the opening, but I don't know how well it would work for a trailer or other large boat that actually blocked your view since you are right on top of the tongue almost.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
Tell us more about the boat (size etc) & garage
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »

That would be easy enough to do I think but the tongue weight of this boat and trailer package is probably around 350 to 400 pounds and would likely overwhelm the mower. Thanks for the suggestion as it is a good one but unfortunately my circumstances are more restrictive.

Set one or 2 kids on the lawn mower hood.....? :D :D :D

Actually I was thinking about on the front of the tractor - which would be like a front mounted receiver on the truck that DWard pointed out.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:41:31 AM »
Tell us more about the boat (size etc) & garage

The garage is a 3 bay and roughly 34' deep. The boat is 23' but add a couple feet off the back for swim step and three feet up front for the trailer tongue, so say 28" in length. Add the length of the tow vehicle which is a Ford F150 super cab with 6 1/2' box and it gets a little long for this scenario. It has occurred to me I may be able to build a hitch attachment on the front of the mower and just leave the trailer tongue jack down to bear the weight. Only issue with that is I have little confidence the wheel on that jack will respond to direction changes. I've had a little problem with that in the past.
This is a short term problem however. The property is big enough and the design of the driveway is perfect to have a shop built that can be entered going straight. If not for HOA's and CC&R's I would just leave it out until the shop is completed. Not wanting to tick off the neighbors before we even meet them  ;)
MAK #3591

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:52:27 AM »
I've also seen a hitch receiver installed in the front of the truck to facilitate what you are talking about.  Unhitch, flip the truck around and push the boat in.  I've read about it for boats as you can still see around or over the boat to navigate the opening, but I don't know how well it would work for a trailer or other large boat that actually blocked your view since you are right on top of the tongue almost.

Thanks as I have seen this set up in the past. I've got to rank on my tow vehicle a little here as it is the only thing I dislike about it. It's a Ford pick up and if you have ever owned or driven one you know you need a football field to turn one around. My last pick up was a Dodge and I could turn circles inside what this Ford can do. Hey' maybe I should hit the wife up for a new truck. That makes sense. Spend $50k or more to fix a $500.00 problem. ;D
In all seriousness, I do appreciate all the suggestions but at this point I'm fairly confident my best option is a power dolly. I could use it on our 20' enclosed trailer as well. That being said I'm all ears on recommendations and suggestions. That ole saying two heads are better than one is a saying I believe to be true. :thumbup:
MAK #3591

Offline Agustine

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
Those power dollies are pretty expensive from what I have seen. A hitch on the front of a truck works very well. I have one to launch my boat and makes life so much easier. Just remember to remove it after. I tends to stick into the ground if you go through uneven ground out camping, don't ask how I know  ::) :o
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 08:56:31 AM »
Those power dollies are pretty expensive from what I have seen. A hitch on the front of a truck works very well. I have one to launch my boat and makes life so much easier. Just remember to remove it after. I tends to stick into the ground if you go through uneven ground out camping, don't ask how I know  ::) :o

The main problem is the overall length of the boat and tow vehicle. One of those "I can't get 11 lbs. of spuds in a 10 lb. bag" scenarios due to driveway limitations. I guess I need one of those airplane tugs.
MAK #3591

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 11:56:52 AM »
How about a 120 volt power winch in the garage & you just pull it in as you guide it in.

Or just for a while buy one of those cheap boat shelters for the driveway until you build your drive-thru

Hey I love boats tell me more about yours
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Agustine

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
Throw a backyard BBQ and invite all the neighbors over to help push it into the garage. Once it's in party on with good food and drinks LOL You get to know your neighbors and maybe a boating partner at the same time. :) 
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:18 PM »
Throw a backyard BBQ and invite all the neighbors over to help push it into the garage. Once it's in party on with good food and drinks LOL You get to know your neighbors and maybe a boating partner at the same time. :)

Now that is a great idea ;D ;D ;D ;D
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »

Daddy put a hitch on the front of his truck when we lived on the lake. Trying to back a 28ft pontoon down a small ramp was no fun. With the hitch on the front it was a piece of cake.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »
How about a 120 volt power winch in the garage & you just pull it in as you guide it in.

Or just for a while buy one of those cheap boat shelters for the driveway until you build your drive-thru

Hey I love boats tell me more about yours

The boat is an older one but runs every time I turn the key. It's an inboard jet sled, designed for and capable of running shallow water. Engine is a 454 chevrolet big block that drives a Hamilton 212 pump. Carries 70 gallons of fuel and the sides are higher than you normally see. It gets pretty heavy when fueled and loaded for a trip. Can be used in smaller rivers or it can handle the ocean with a fair amount of safety.
MAK #3591