Author Topic: My Daughter's Boyfriend......UGH!  (Read 2099 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
My Daughter's Boyfriend......UGH!
« Reply #-1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »
Yeah, I know that sounds crude, lol. Let me explain myself.

My Daughter is 20, almost 21 (end of the month). She has never had what I would call a true boyfriend, just innocent dating some school boys here and there and by dating I mean going to a movie once in a while, maybe out for a quick meal. She has always been rather picky so that explains a lot and even though she's only 5' tall on the dot, she can be a little intimidating. She's ULTRA smart, and that can sometimes be intimidating for a young man to try and match intellect and wit with. She also has always been laser focused on academics and school stuff and to be honest, it was one less thing for me to worry about.

Fast forward to her Junior year in college, she has met a boy (he's a man of 25 years old but I feel the need to call him a boy, lol) that she has fallen for. He is an odd ball but I try to be nice around him. Here's the deal, nobody will probably ever be good enough for my daughter so I know that's unfair but it is what it is. He's a nice guy, weird but nice. What I have issue with is that they are moving in together and renting a duplex for her and his final year at UGA. He got a late start on college as he pursued acting in NYC for a bit. They're both adults so I can't say too much, her decision. In the middle of small talk over lunch yesterday (I went and got Mexican take out), I somehow got on the topic of marriage. Not that I am rushing anything but I made the comment "Maybe one day in the future, you two might get married?"

My daughter gave me that "Why?" look, I grinned. Her BF quickly said "I don't believe in marriage" and kept stuffing his face with chimichangas that I bought. I asked what was his reason. He said "It's expensive". Now, I have to tell you, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard but I played along. I told him that LIFE is expensive and the only thing expensive about marriage is if you get divorced. He then asks me if I know why divorces are so expensive. The answer? "Because they're worth it" he says. Good lord, help me not to choke this fool out in front of my daughter.

What a schmuck! He's never been married, he has no idea. At this point I hope that he DOESN'T ever marry her and that she finds someone else :P He's just in it for fun I guess, I hate to think of it that way but I was their age once and know what it's like. Being honest, although in my eyes she's naive and is being used by this ass hat. Her mistake to make, so says my wife.

He is SMUG as a the day is long, an entitled brat. I cooked some pretty dang good meals while he was down, let him drink my beer, bought a few meals for him. I never ONCE heard a thank you. This generation is screwed. My daughter was raised better, she is kind and polite and doesn't expect anything from anyone. This kid though, he comes from a broken home and is pompous as hell. I am happy for now as they left this morning, heading to his mom's house who recently relocated to SC. My wife is following them up and staying until Sunday so she can bring my daughter home. She's going to hit Myrtle beach while she's there but I've got my house to myself. No arrogant Millennial BS to put up with :P

I know I can't be the only parent here to have gone through this. Pointers are appreciated :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Re: My Daughter's Boyfriend......UGH!
« on: July 05, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
The problem with kids when they grow up is that you have to let them make their decisions, right or wrong. If the guy is a smuck, it will come out and your daughter will realize in time. If you try to "force" the issue, at this time it will drive her to defend him and make her rationalize his faults. If his faults are as bad as you have indicated your daughter will eventually decide what she is willing to live with. All you can do is be there for her.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 02:24:47 PM »
Geez...you ARE a plumber...don't you own a backhoe and have some property in the country? ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
Geez...you ARE a plumber...don't you own a backhoe and have some property in the country? ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

If I say yes, is it self incriminating?? Asking for a friend.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Roget

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
What Gus said.

They have no use for parental advice.
They want to "make their own mistakes" .
They would rather go through all the misery associated with making a terrible decision, than to listen to someone who has been there, done that.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
What Gus said.

They have no use for parental advice.
They want to "make their own mistakes" .
They would rather go through all the misery associated with making a terrible decision, than to listen to someone who has been there, done that.

I guess we were no different, lol. Parents....what do THEY know? :P

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 03:35:22 PM »
 I'll try not to get in trouble here...   If he doesnt marry her it will be easier for her to walk away once she sees the real him.
  My daughter had one that I really had issues with. But she came around and is now married to a guy I really like and who cares for her properly.     
  So I guess what I wanted to say is , There is hope and your daughter was raised right so she will come around. 

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pappymn

My Daughter's Boyfriend......UGH!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »
I've been fortunate that my 22 year old daughter never really had a boyfriend. With that said, I find her generation weird and hard to understand. They really are boys and not men. I have no idea how their brains work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
I'm just thankfull I had two boys  ;)

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 04:11:23 PM »
I have three daughters and three grand daughters.  I finally gave up and had to put a boy in the house.  I bought a male English Lab.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
And I'll add some more traits to the mix.  They can't manage money worth squat and most are living paycheck to paycheck, and don't know how to make or fix anything. If something breaks they toss it and buy another one.   A lot of the current generation has no clue about how the real world works at all.

Offline Roget

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2018, 04:57:32 PM »
I'm just thankfull I had two boys  ;)

Don't get ahead of yourself Tommy. I have two sons, & I can tell you from experience that boys can make some really poor choices when it comes to choosing a mate also.
Thank God we as parents don't have to live with them.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »
Oh
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 08:48:39 AM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
LOL. You guys feel my pain. I am glad to see it's not just ME!

You are all spot on about this generation (sounding like my Dad here). They absolutely can't fix anything. Just this afternoon I fixed a really expensive hair straightening iron for my wife. Yes, it took me almost a year to get to it but that's beside the point, lol. Wire cutter/stripper, rosin paste flux, rosin core solder, soldering iron, heat shrink tubing and voila! Fixed! You won't see many these days trying that and the thing is, they DON'T even want to LEARN how to do stuff!

Craziness if you ask me.

In the meantime, I just have to sit back and bite my tongue. This place served as my sounding board (my wife can only listen to so much of it, hehehe) and I appreciate the anecdotes of y'alls past miseries :D

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2018, 08:05:42 PM »
I know I am not on the same page as some others RG.  ??? ??? ???but i would talk with your daughter again. The problem is a mistake here could be life changing. You should never give up in trying to guide your kids. i know I am going through tough times with my kids now but I will never give up on what is right or wrong.  If I did I would regret it someday. It is so easy to give others advice but so hard to do it when it is your kids.  Best of luck & God bless you & your family.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill