Author Topic: Help! Looking for a different beef, pork or chicken recipe  (Read 2148 times)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Help! Looking for a different beef, pork or chicken recipe
« Reply #-1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:14:32 PM »
As many of you know I have been dealing with neck pain for over a month since a car wreck and have not been grilling.    I'm feeling somewhat better and forcing myself oudoors this weekend to grill something.

I have had very little interest in cooking BUT I need to get back on the horse so to speak.  I'm looking for something different to try like a beef, pork, yardbird or even shrimp/fish dish  to cook yet try'n to make it low carb.  I'm open for any recipe and will sort them out .   BBQ pulled pork been there , ribs been there......... You get the idea

Any ideas would be welcome

Tommy
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline DWard51

Re: Help! Looking for a different beef, pork or chicken recipe
« on: October 05, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »
But Tommy, you are "OUR" goto guy on low carb diversity and new ideas!!!!!   Actually I understand exactly what you are talking about.  There is only so many ways to do grilled and baked chicken products.

My current favorite is a Ceasar salad with cut up grilled/air baked skinless chicken (with my homemade rub before grilling or cooking in the convection oven - very light coating of mayo to help it stick), some of the red pepper crumbles (adds a few carbs as they have a coating - still less than traditional crutons).  Follow with some fruit such as an apple or orange.  Good flavor and it will fill you without breaking the carb bank.   Not super original, but it works for me.  Another favorite is a home made medium hot italian sausage (in the air fryer to cook) cut into bites with a fairly low carb commercial pasta sauce (in moderation) and itallian style cheeses, peppers or whatever you like.  Couple with a side salad (ceasar for me, but no meat added) and this is another flavorful filling respectable carb level meal.   Not anywhere as original as some of your masterpieces, but simple, easy to make and tasty.

I've also started using the CarbQuik as a air fry coating and using mayo or egg wash to make it stick (going with a very light coating of the CarbQuik "flour" as too much will start to let that not exactly flour flavor start to show, use the spices of your choice). I'm a believer the trick with carbquik coating for frying is go light on the "flour" to hold the slightly different flavor in the background.  It ends up being almost more of a texture and flavor carrier for the other spices instead of the breading being the main flavor on the meat.   Between the air fryer and the full sized convection oven, I have not oil fried anything in nearly a year now.

Hang in there and get better buddy!

Oh, don't forget Brussel sprouts. Yeah, the give me gas, but I love them when halved and pan sauteed in butter/oil with some Parmesan on top!  For me, I have found that I tend to gravitate back to the quicker and less complex low carb methods most of the time.  Yes there are some masterful products that can be produced with the right ingredients, but most days I just don't have the time that a lot of those more fancy recipes call for when modified for lower carb.  Keep the steps simple and it becomes 2nd nature to me.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »
I like lemon gahhlick chicken thighs please.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »
Cornflake Chicken

Cut boneless skinless chix breasts into 1 inch pcs

a little olive oil

a little salt and pepper

Roll the pcs in slightly crushed corn flakes  (leave em kind of big...don't pulverixe em)

Into oven at 375 for 10-15 mins or internal is 165   Try the air fryer, what the heck :)

Mix a little siracha into some mayo for a dip

When chicken is ready.....sprinkle a little grated cheese on top and add some finely chopped green onions

Into the oven for a quick cheese melt

Enjoy  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 04:21:05 PM »
Thanks all, I have been doing a little looking and think I found a recipe that should work as low carb and be different

I hope this works    :) :)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:14:09 PM »
Cornflake Chicken...

I love cornflake crusted chicken (my wife does it for the rest of the family), but it's not low-carb.  :(

For anyone who doesn't need to worry about carbs, give it a try!  :thumbup:
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:26:27 PM »
Something we like is apple wood smoked chicken taken to 10 degrees below finish, rub with a light coating of olive oil mayo and then coat with crushed bbq'd pigskins and into the air fryer for a crispy finish.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Agustine

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
OK I am going to but this to you this way and maybe the church group here might not like it but so be it. Jump into that pool bear balls, don't worry about carbs. Just cook what you need to get back into the swing of things. Once you get your feet going again you can worry about the carbs but until then what does it matter if you are just eating kraft dinner from the stove. Get up, man up and BBQ something. It will be the best meal of the day. :)
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »
Cornflake Chicken...

I love cornflake crusted chicken (my wife does it for the rest of the family), but it's not low-carb.  :(

For anyone who doesn't need to worry about carbs, give it a try!  :thumbup:

Ooops....forgot Tommy is lo-carb.......sorry Tommy.......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 06:52:19 PM »
OK I am going to but this to you this way and maybe the church group here might not like it but so be it. Jump into that pool bear balls, don't worry about carbs. Just cook what you need to get back into the swing of things...

Trust me... Occasionally folks like Tommy and me do cook/eat whatever  we want. We call them cheater days.  BUT...  what most people don't realize is that when we do "cheat" occasionally, it tends to kick up cravings. So for the most part, we are better off just saying, "No ," and sticking to low carb options.

Hope this makes sense.
<><
Member #68

Offline Agustine

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 07:20:00 PM »
OK I am going to but this to you this way and maybe the church group here might not like it but so be it. Jump into that pool bear balls, don't worry about carbs. Just cook what you need to get back into the swing of things...

Trust me... Occasionally folks like Tommy and me do cook/eat whatever  we want. We call them cheater days.  BUT...  what most people don't realize is that when we do "cheat" occasionally, it tends to kick up cravings. So for the most part, we are better off just saying, "No ," and sticking to low carb options.

Hope this makes sense.

Ya it makes sense but sooner or later ya all going to die from something......I want to die from a full stomach of stuff I liked. Might as well become a vegan if you are not going to break the rules  :D
It is only when a mosquito lands on your testicle that you realize that violence is never the answer.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »
Make some seafood stew.  One pot with all good stuff.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
Ooops....forgot Tommy is lo-carb.......sorry Tommy.......

Actually, I'm glad you posted the Cornflake Chicken recipe, because after thinking some more about it, you gave me an idea for a low-carb substitute. :) 

Follow the Cornflake Chicken recipe as written, but use some seasoned almond flour, or a mix of almond flour and flaxseed meal instead of the cornflake crumbs.  In fact I plan to try it very soon, because it's different from my wife's cornflake chicken!   When I make it I will post. ;)

Make some seafood stew.  One pot with all good stuff.

Oooooh...  That gives me some ideas too!

A seafood chowder using some low-carb veggies instead of potatoes?  Um yeah, I'm going to have to try this!   :thumbup: 8)

P.S. Last evening Tommy shared  an idea he had and I cannot wait to see him post about it!  Hint: it rhymes with "grief smellington".
<><
Member #68

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »
Well, I've got a recipe for smoked lamb curry that I've played with ... you could easily substitute beef and then serve it over cauliflower rice to go reduced carb.

3 lbs of boneless leg of lamb, smoked and cubed into 1" chunks
32 oz chicken stock
20oz diced tomatoes, pulsed in a blender
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup peeled/diced carrot
1/2 cup red onion, minced (can be smoked previously)
3 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Saute veggies in butter and canola until tender.  Add previously smoked lamb chunks to veggies and add all other ingredients in a dutch oven.  Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat and simmer for an hour.  Can be cooked in a smoker for added flavor.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline DWard51

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 09:38:24 PM »
Tommy,

Let me throw you a low carb tip the wife figured out tonight.  She wanted chicken tenders and also wanted to help me stay low carb. But she is not a huge fan of the CarbQuik.   Apparently there are very thin sheet like pieces of a "lard" like substance in the carbquik mix.  She took a sifting screen and sifted the "flour" part out and left behind the sections of what look like very thin leaf lard.  It is clearly made as part of the mix.  Had a much better flavor and texture in a thin seasoned coating to make chicken tenders in peanut oil. She used a thin coating of mayo to get the flour spice mix to stick before frying.

So if you have any around, you might give this a try and see if you like it any better.