Author Topic: What dish do you like in cool/cold weather?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline UWFSAE

Re: What dish do you like in cool/cold weather?
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 10:08:25 PM »
Sage Sausage & Potato Soup.  Sage sausage, heavy cream, chicken stock, Yukon Gold potatoes, lots of roasted garlic paste, sauteed minced onions, spices, white balsamic vinegar, parsley, and butter.  Add some hot sauce in your serving bowl and a bit of garlic bread and you're off to the races.

Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
Typically  I wait for cooler temps before  I make chili (with or without beans)  but lately its been kinda warm here  so had to make an exception.

Another cold weather dish  we love is a   Spicy black bean soup with braised chicken thighs and Spanish chorizo, serranos and chipotle  you can make it as spicy as you like.
 Came across the recipe on Seriouseats.com and its delicious!!    :thumbup:
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 11:41:57 AM »
I usually make what I call "Left Over Stew". Throughout the year I will save leftover meat from lamb roasts, rib roasts, steaks, etc. Cut them into to chunks and freeze. When the time is right I take those chunks, and potatoes, gravy, etc and make some stew. It is never the same as the ingredients vary but it is always good in the cool days.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 02:44:41 PM »
Joe, Dave, Gus....those are all excellent ideas and now I am hungry :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Bayoucajun

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 06:33:54 PM »
Chicken and sausage gumbo

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 11:02:55 PM »
Chicken and sausage gumbo

Good call except that it's a year-round dish as far as I'm concerned - worth turning up the a/c for. Come to think about it, red beans & rice, jambalaya, chili, chile verde, posole, adovada, Guinness stew, corned beef and pretty much anything else I make are in the same category. I guess when you live in a warm climate you can't afford to wait for cool/cold weather to make "seasonal" dishes.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Hub

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 06:32:31 AM »
We make chili year round and joke about it in the spring and summer when it doesn't seem to fit the weather.  We just like it.  I will admit, though, that there's something even more appealing about it when the weather is cold.

I've grown tired of the chili fans who say that something has to be their definition in order to be "real".  Chili, like barbecue, is in the eyes (and taste buds) of the beholder.  Chili can have added ingredients and still stay chili as long as the flavor is chili peppers.  Variation are allowable within reason.  The barbecue I fix in a competition is different from what I fix at home and different from what I get in restaurants.  It's all barbecue if it's cooked outdoors over some kind of fire. 

I am SO broadminded about what gets put in chili that I allow my wife and grandson to add sour cream to theirs  :o.  I do not express my opinion on this abomination and keep it all bottled up inside.  I wouldn't dream of actually eating chili with sour cream in it but I can go eat mine in the other room so as not to be overcome with waves of nausea at the look and smell of it (good on baked potatoes and for chip dip, though).  I am so caring of my family that I'll make really good chili fully knowing that some of it will be ceremonially defiled with sour cream.  That's unconditional love, right  ::)?

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Lemonhead78

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 03:27:53 PM »
A chilli needs beans otherwise it’s just a hotdog topping. When I’m stuck plowing snow and it’s freezing my wife puts a chuck roast in the crock pot and simply adds 2 Lipton onion packets and 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. She likes to serve it with egg noodles and rice so you have an option. It’s out goto winter comfort meal
Mak **star general
Weber kettle
Weber q
Pit barrel cooker

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
There needs to be some way wee can add a "like" button on this forum :) I am loving all of the ideas guys/gal!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 10:17:39 AM »
For general  enlightenment, and...for those in need of...edjuhmuhcation...... ;) :D :D :D ;D

http://www.nationalchiliday.com/chili-history.html#.W-hEIi2ZMq8

NOTE: THERE is NO mention of beans, corn, tomatoes, or any other fruits or vegetables. It ain't my opinion folks....just historical fact! 8) 8) 8)

But - for me, you gotta have tomatoes...and for the sake of peace and domestic tranquility...I have to add beans when cooking chili here at this transplanted Texan's headquarters.

And....another neat read about the history, and the current regional derivations :

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/01/19/a-brief-history-of-chili-con-carne/

Chili - like pizza or BBQ really has no one definition anymore. It has been adopted by so many different cultural influences that it is an internationally loved food in general.

Unless you are blessed by the grace of G_d to be from Texas....Then there is the right way to make it..... ;) ;) ;) 8) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »
For general  enlightenment, and...for those in need of...edjuhmuhcation...... ;) :D :D :D ;D

NOTE: THERE is NO mention of beans, corn, tomatoes, or any other fruits or vegetables. It ain't my opinion folks....just historical fact! 8) 8) 8)

But - for me, you gotta have tomatoes...and for the sake of peace and domestic tranquility...I have to add beans when cooking chili here at this transplanted Texan's headquarters.

And....another neat read about the history, and the current regional derivations :

Chili - like pizza or BBQ really has no one definition anymore. It has been adopted by so many different cultural influences that it is an internationally loved food in general.

Unless you are blessed by the grace of G_d to be from Texas....Then there is the right way to make it..... ;) ;) ;) 8) ;D

It appears to me that chili is the quintessential  cultural appropriation. ::) ::)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »

It appears to me that chili is the quintessential  cultural appropriation. ::) ::)

You know...I never thought of it that way...but NOW...I have the right to protest and offended!!!! THANKS!!! :D :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »
Beef stew for me......
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline DWard51

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 05:27:41 PM »
no bean, and smoked meat chili or Brunswick stew.

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 08:41:41 AM »
So where I'm from (New Mexico), there is a difference between a bowl of chili and chile. (I love both kinds, by the way!)

One of my fave cold-weather comfort foods is Green Chile Stew. It can be made with beef (cubed or ground), pork, chicken or even turkey. The most traditional is beef or pork. Here's a basic recipe...

https://iamnm.com/new-mexico-green-chile-stew-recipe/
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle