Author Topic: Baking Steel for pizza  (Read 6257 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Re: Baking Steel for pizza
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:01 AM »
So does this thing have a teflon coating? How is it for food sticking to it?
the 14" griddle from Academy is just pre-seasoned cast iron

CaptJack
I was referring to this steel  Thing-a-ma-Jig from http://bakingsteel.wpengine.com/
Dude....
I'll take my $12 14"cast iron griddle over that flat piece of steel for $72 bucks any day  ;)

You are missing my point here Capt.  For $72 bucks thats why I am asking if it has some super duper coating on it. I know I can get a cast iron one for a lot cheaper so hence my question

Offline deb415611

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 07:42:43 AM »
So does this thing have a teflon coating? How is it for food sticking to it?
the 14" griddle from Academy is just pre-seasoned cast iron

CaptJack
I was referring to this steel  Thing-a-ma-Jig from http://bakingsteel.wpengine.com/
Dude....
I'll take my $12 14"cast iron griddle over that flat piece of steel for $72 bucks any day  ;)

You are missing my point here Capt.  For $72 bucks thats why I am asking if it has some super duper coating on it. I know I can get a cast iron one for a lot cheaper so hence my question

they are both pre-seasoned and I imagine similar in that aspect.   The choice of which you would want is all in what you would want to do with it.  For me I want something that will get as hot as possible and retain that heat and recover quickly after cooking on it.  The 1/2 steel is going to do that better than the cast iron if the cast iron  is thinner - I have seen that the lodge pizza pan is 3/16" and I imagine that Capt's griddle is similar??  For what I want to do the thicker, more expensive will get me to where I want to be.  For someone that wants to use it as a griddle or baking without it being super hot at the start Capt's cast iron is the choice.

(I am glad that Capt linked that griddle what a great price, it's less than 1/2 the price of the Lodge 14" pizza pan,  I might get one for things other than pizza, thanks Capt )

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 08:59:58 AM »
Thank You for the reply, now my curiosity of it is fulfilled.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the info all. 

All in all this is a great topic with good info.

Thanks
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »

Just something to keep in mind:

Even the "pre-seaoned" cast iron REALLY benefits from continued seasoning ( frankly - I don't really consider it seasoned until I have done so regardless of the label ) - or a good, long high heat real seasoning at home before you use it the first time.

I never have anything stick to my cast iron that has been thoroughly seasoned before use. Most of us here in the South are fanatical about seasoning our cast iron, so it may not have been a "point miss " - rather an interpretive difference in "when" cast iron is considered truly useable by some. ;) :)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »
I have rectangular baking stones, and round ones too.  For pizza on the the SRG Jack - what you use fits great. Like it was made for it.

One of my most recent purchases in this category is this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/emile-henry-rectangular-baking-stone/?pkey=e%7Cemile%2Bhenry%2Brectangular%2Bbaking%2Bstone%7C1%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

It has a glazed surface so it is  a "non" stick" I suppose....And - they make it in a round shape too.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401