Author Topic: Ok. 1st concert, where and when.  (Read 672 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Ok. 1st concert, where and when.
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 08:21:47 PM »

1977   6th show of a 7 night set at the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood California.  After they left So-Cal they went to play at "A day on the Green" at the Oakland Coliseum.  Robert Plant was notified his son had drowned. They never played again in the United States.

Led Zeppelin
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline DWard51

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 12:38:23 AM »
Technically 1972 and it was Lynard Skynard, but I was working at the event (small venue - Jonesboro, GA). Next was Aerosmith (also 1972) and Alice Cooper, both later the same year... 

And Kansas.... They ended up moving to a lake community in the county where I worked at the Sheriff's Office in the 1980's.   Met all of them and answered calls at their houses a couple of times. One house was awesome, like a castle on the lake.  Had a studio and all (yes we got a tour).

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
The Young Rascals
Macon GA Coliseum

EXCELLENT show
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »
I think mine was probably Grand Funk Railroad back when I was in high school.  Probably either '74 or '75.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 09:48:17 AM »
Lots of good answers!

I grew up listening to Christian Rock, and my first concert (if I recall correctly) was 2nd Chapter of Acts and Phil Keaggy in 1977 or '78. Here in Albuquerque. I was about 11 years old.
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:30 AM »
The first one I can remember was the Guess Who. They played our high school dance before they got big.

Offline Pac Man

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
The Young Rascals
Macon GA Coliseum

EXCELLENT show
A sadly underrated/forgotten band!
MAK 2-Star General
Weber Original Kettle 22-inch
HM Lump Charcoal Barrel Burner

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
   Van Halen and Black Sabbath together in the Mobile Municipal Auditorium Nov,1978 was my first indoor concert I remember well.
I don't remember who I saw at the first concert. There were lots of outdoor concerts here back then.. I do remember riding there in a friends older brothers van though... We were not old enough to drive then so it must have been pre 1976  And might have been Marshall Tucker..  I remember mixing a 5th of 151 rum and a liter of Sprite in a gallon milk jug before we left...
 I had been to several outdoor events.  Charlie Daniels, Jerry Jeff Walker, Greg Allman, some others... Those years can have foggy moments you know...     
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »
   Van Halen and Black Sabbath together in the Mobile Municipal Auditorium Nov,1978 was my first indoor concert I remember well.
I don't remember who I saw at the first concert. There were lots of outdoor concerts here back then.. I do remember riding there in a friends older brothers van though... We were not old enough to drive then so it must have been pre 1976  And might have been Marshall Tucker..  I remember mixing a 5th of 151 rum and a liter of Sprite in a gallon milk jug before we left...
 I had been to several outdoor events.  Charlie Daniels, Jerry Jeff Walker, Greg Allman, some others... Those years can have foggy moments you know...   

I saw m tucker the night before the motor cycle accident that  killed the bass player
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 11:01:48 PM »
Aerosmith on the "Permanent Vacation" tour in 1988 in Dallas ... oddly, Guns N Roses opened.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »
I thing the very first was Joe Cotton Blues Band and Fleetwood Mac in "71.
After that its kind of hard to distinguish in what order, but in the starting mid 70's - The Band, The Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Ronstadt, Eagles, Poco, Willie, Springsteen,Jerry Jeff Walker, Bonnie Raitt,  Marshall Tucker, Charlie Daniels, original Skynard  ....
At that time I was in So Cal and was lucky to see a number of great concerts, many in small venues.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »
My first concert was the Beatles in 1965 at the Coliseum in Houston. I lived 100 miles from Houston and had a car, but my parents wouldn't let me drive it to Houston by myself so I had to ride the Greyhound Bus and walk to the Coliseum. I found out that Capt Jack (he used to be on this forum) was at that same concert, but we didn't know each other back then. The ticket price was $5. I went highbrow for my second concert in Austin when I saw Van Cliburn. He was a piano player for you not so upscale folks like myself (LOL).