Author Topic: Sous Vide Brisket??  (Read 350 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Sous Vide Brisket??
« Reply #-1 on: September 20, 2019, 05:08:50 PM »
Hi guys and gals, back with another experiment (sorta). I have been thinking about giving a brisket a bath. The issue is that I don't want to just season it and sous vide it like I've seen in Youtube videos. I want to smoke it and then sous vide. I've seen videos where it was smoked for 3 hours and then sous vide but they never take it a high enough temp to break down the fat and the meat looks REAL red throughout. When they cut it, it looks rubbery. Not very appealing to me.

My thought is smoke it on the KBQ like always, all the way through and then let it cool, vac seal it and THEN sous vide it for 24 hours to reheat it. I know that the Salt Lick in Texas cooks their brisket, cools it in the walk in cooler overnight then reheats on the pit the next day. I can attest that when I vac seal brisket and reheat in simmering water, it comes out excellent. The sous vide idea is that as it cooks (reheats) in its own juices for 24 hours, it will  become even more tender. It will sacrifice the bark but would be super moist and tender from flat to point.

Has anyone else ever done this? If so, what results did you have?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: Sous Vide Brisket??
« on: September 20, 2019, 05:48:54 PM »
 Hey, Jason, I've done a sous vide brisket three times. I did it like you described...smoked for about 3 hours with rub, vac sealed, and in the bath for about 72 hours at 160 degrees. Then the normal char and sear to finish with extra rub to form a new bark. Two of them came out really tender, smokey, and flavorful. Couldn't hardly tell the difference between sous vide and regular smoking for 16 to 20 hours. The reason I said 2 out of 3 came out good was because the vacuum bag burst after about 20 hours in the hot tub on the 3rd one. I wound up with a 19 pound roast and 10 gallons of gravy.  It was the only one I didn't double bag. The bag was just too tight for a 19 pound packer. Note to self: Always double bag large briskets.

You are correct on the Salt Lick method of cooking. They do cool them after finishing in the smoker and then reheat them over wood fire hot coals in their large round iconic fire pit at the entrance. They always taste really good. Several years ago, Jaxon, Albert, and I did a BBQ pilgrimage hitting 7 of the most famous BBQ joints in Central Texas in one day. They decided that they liked Salt Lick the best of the bunch.

Good luck with your brisket.

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 07:00:38 AM »
I may indeed give it a shot, Don. Like I said above, I want to smoke it fully for the duration on the KBQ and then cool it, double seal it and reheat in the bath for a day or so. I've not seen anyone do it that way so I think I may give it a go!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 05:52:59 PM »
Interesting idea Jason.   I'm not familiar with the Suve thing but if it's fully cooked on the smoker than heated again for 24 hours you think you'd end up with something like pot roast?  Where it just falls apart on the grain lines?  Not a bad thing I guess, let me know when you do it I'll drive over and help!
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »
Interesting idea Jason.   I'm not familiar with the Suve thing but if it's fully cooked on the smoker than heated again for 24 hours you think you'd end up with something like pot roast?  Where it just falls apart on the grain lines?  Not a bad thing I guess, let me know when you do it I'll drive over and help!

Hey Bob! You know how I like to tinker with stuff when I should probably leave well enough alone. That is true with me in all facets of life unfortunately, lol.

It may indeed turn out like pot roast but that is not the aim. I may even lessen the time in the bath, reheat to 160 and let it hang for a bit and get juicy. I may be crazy but I actually think reheated brisket in a vac bag taste better than fresh! That's what spurred the idea, whole brisket instead of slices.

As for coming over to help, don't say it if you don't mean it :P You and Pat are welcome anytime!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 08:54:50 PM »
I have to agree that reheated brisket tastes better than fresh off the smoker.  Seems like the flavors of the smoke and rub meld and mellow and redistribute throughout.  I'm interested in seeing how the SuVe reheat turns out.  I like your idea of cooking the brisket completely as normal on the KBQ and using the SuVe for a reheat. Bet the whole thing doesn't make it into the vac bags.   ;)

Now that I'm retired maybe a three hour drive for a night can be planned sometime.   8)
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4