Author Topic: Woud it be safe?  (Read 841 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Re: Woud it be safe?
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 04:15:11 PM »
[quote author=Salmonsmoker link=topic=24180.msg304744#msg304744 date=1586621663
I do a lot of pressure canning/preserving, and rule #1 , #2 and #3 is, when opening the sealed lid is to listen for the pffft of air being sucked into the jar/can which tells there is a vacuum, and then visibly inspect the underside of the lid for black growth or mold. #1 if the vacuum was lost, it's a perfect environment for C Botulinum. Toss it.  #2 mold present? It's contaminated. Toss it. #3 smell it for "off" aromas. If it smells "off". Toss it.
Years ago, in the 1970's I think, one of the Salmon canneries in Alaska, had something go wrong in their canning process, and sent out a whole shipment of improperly processed canned salmon. Numerous people died from Botulism from that shipment. In turn, that almost killed the canned salmon industry.
[/quote]

And that would've been a bad thing?  ;{)

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 04:49:15 PM »
I do a lot of pressure canning/preserving, and rule #1 , #2 and #3 is, when opening the sealed lid is to listen for the pffft of air being sucked into the jar/can which tells there is a vacuum, and then visibly inspect the underside of the lid for black growth or mold. #1 if the vacuum was lost, it's a perfect environment for C Botulinum. Toss it.  #2 mold present? It's contaminated. Toss it. #3 smell it for "off" aromas. If it smells "off". Toss it.
Years ago, in the 1970's I think, one of the Salmon canneries in Alaska, had something go wrong in their canning process, and sent out a whole shipment of improperly processed canned salmon. Numerous people died from Botulism from that shipment. In turn, that almost killed the canned salmon industry.

Great examples!   C. Botulinum can cause the lid to bulge, losing the vaccuum.   And Ironically one of the biggest culprits in canning for Botulism isn't even a meat, it's green beans.  ???
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 05:05:24 PM »
  This is good info. I never canned anything but Kerry use to when her kids were small.  I don't think I ate anything but fresh or canned vegetables until I was in my late teens.  My dad had a HUGE garden every year and my mom canned it all.  And those green beans Cliff mentioned. After picking and hulling washtubs full from the multiple 300+ foot rows of those I never liked them until after I didn't have to do that anymore.  Talk about green fingers! The snaps were the "fun" ones.   I love them all now.
  No one in our family or extended family ever got sick from that food that I knew of so I guess they knew what they were doing. I do remember mom and or dad saying always be sure the lid is down and it pops when you open it. Typically took a butter knife to pull up the lid. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
In turn, that almost killed the canned salmon industry.[/b][/color]
[/quote]

And that would've been a bad thing?  ;{)

BD, ;D ;D all of the salmon that doesn't grade as restaurant quality,(usually filleted, vacpacked and flash frozen)  #1 or #2, which are headed and gutted, flash frozen and glazed whole, goes to the canning room. Bits and pieces, fish with a net rash, bruises, not appearance grade, otherwise it would be discarded and wasted. I know as a kid, I didn't like-no hated commercially canned salmon, because it had the skin on and the bones/backbones in the can. Yuck! After living in Alaska, catching and canning our own, my view completely changed  . Not like the commercial stuff because I canned skinless fillets. I did learn that canning the product with the skin and the bones had a nutritional plus, but I still didn't like having to pick through it to get the bones out. With all the Salmon and Halibut available in season, you'd need several freezers. In the years we lived there, we never once bought a can of tuna. Those were good times. :)

BD
[/quote]