Author Topic: Sous Vide Tri-Tip  (Read 818 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Sous Vide Tri-Tip
« Reply #-1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:46:26 PM »
Tri-Tip in for a 48 hour swim at 120F.

Tri-Tip seasoned with Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and garlic powder.  Ready for the MAK.

Grilled on the MAK using cherry pellets to 127F.  Lookin’ good!!

Plated with air fryer baked potato, Caprese salad and a couple of slices of the Tri-Tip.

It was worth the wait after the sous vide swim.  Meat was tender and very tasty.  I’ll do this one again.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Sous Vide Tri-Tip
« on: August 08, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »
Looks good Art.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 09:24:36 AM »
Very nice Art!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Bill2112

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
Looks very tasty, what are you using to do a warm marinate with, does it work better than cold?

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
Looks very tasty, what are you using to do a warm marinate with, does it work better than cold?

No marinade.  Defrost from the freezer and put the sealed Tri-Tip in the Anova for 48 hours.  I seasoned it before putting on my MAK.  TENDER!!  TENDER!! TENDER!!  Just what I was looking for.  Good flavor and TENDER!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 12:47:49 AM »
Art, that looks delicious. Maureen gets to eat pretty good at your house.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 08:44:15 AM »

Yes, she does.  She's in charge and I am the hired help.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 04:47:58 PM »

She's in charge and I am the hired help.

Art

Art, you'll get used to it...I did.

Offline Eatin Smoke

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 06:55:56 PM »
You're lucky no one got sick - cooking below 130* for more than a couple of hours is DANGEROUS!  Sous Vide is a great tool but please do some research on proper cooking temps / times.  Just a quick search will give you an example of what I'm talking about: 

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/exploring-sous-vide-email-course/more/is-sous-vide-safe-key-safety-guidelines

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 07:17:14 PM »
I was always taught to scald in boiling water for 30 seconds after vacuum sealing when cooking meat below 60C/140F for 8 hours or longer (even if searing ahead). I think it was more from the perspective of avoiding the "funky smell" you get occasionally with long low-temp cooks but it may be all of a piece.

Haven't ever had a problem - might be why they call me the lucky turtle. Jus' sayin'...
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 07:38:14 PM »
You're lucky no one got sick - cooking below 130* for more than a couple of hours is DANGEROUS!  Sous Vide is a great tool but please do some research on proper cooking temps / times.  Just a quick search will give you an example of what I'm talking about: 

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/exploring-sous-vide-email-course/more/is-sous-vide-safe-key-safety-guidelines

NO ONE GOT SICK, EVER, WITH MY COOKING!!  If the meat is vacuum sealed, this should never be a problem!!  Once I removed the "sealed tri-tip", I let it cool in the refrigerator.  Next I removed the tri-tip from the vacuum sealed bag and seasoned it.  Next I cooked it on my grill at 350F until I reached an IT of 127F.  The end product was tender and very flavorful.  I have been doing this for years.  I also don't believe all the BS written by most writers!!
Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Eatin Smoke

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 07:51:25 PM »

NO ONE GOT SICK, EVER, WITH MY COOKING!!  If the meat is vacuum sealed, this should never be a problem!!  Once I removed the "sealed tri-tip", I let it cool in the refrigerator.  Next I removed the tri-tip from the vacuum sealed bag and seasoned it.  Next I cooked it on my grill at 350F until I reached an IT of 127F.  The end product was tender and very flavorful.  I have been doing this for years.  I also don't believe all the BS written by most writers!!
Art

Don't kill the messenger - I didn't mean to offend you or your cooking!  I'm was simply pointing out the science and safety behind sous vide cooking.  If you are confident in your method then keep doing what you do.

Offline Walleyewacker

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 10:56:52 PM »
Awesome plate of deliciousness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk