Author Topic: After Thanksgiving Day Sandwich  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
After Thanksgiving Day Sandwich
« Reply #-1 on: November 28, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
Alright, so first of all we had Thanksgiving Day with the immediate family which was me, my wife, son, daughter, other daughter with her husband and their three beautiful children. If we broke rules I don't care. The way life has been lately we're grabbing life while we can because tomorrow is not promised.

So here is the oven roasted turkey I cooked overnight Wednesday. It was supposed to be a 20 pound turkey that I oven roasted and this one, about 17+ lbs was supposed to get fried Thursday morning. I made my own injection marinade from a stock I made for this purpose and the turkey gravy. I ended up with half a gallon of stock for each the gravy and injection. After making it and injecting bothe turkeys and seasoning both they were put back in the fridge. Wednesday evening about 9:00pm I went to get the turkey to be roasted from the fridge and both looked so big from being injected that I got the two mixed up. Lol...... I realized this the next morning as I was getting the fryer ready for putting the turkey. As luck would have it it was really foggy Thursday morning and as I was heating the oil I decided that since we already had one turkey cooked that with the mist or light drizzle beginning to cancel frying the second turkey. Or rather postpone it at least. After making this call I noticed that the roasted turkey after cooking looked a little smaller. Then I realized I roasted the smaller turkey and that the other one would be tight fit into the turkey fryer pot. So that turkey can't be fried because after noticing this I checked and it will indeed be a really tight squeeze getting that turkey in there. I could've kicked myself. So I'll be roasting another turkey overnight tonight. I may still get another smaller bird to fry during the week since I already have the peanut oil for doing a deep fried turkey and turkey is pretty well enjoyed here.

O.K. now back to my turkey sandwich. Yesterday I stopped in and picked up a fresh loaf of French bread for one of my favorite sandwiches. Then last night for dinner I had THE sandwich.

Normally I have this on sliced bread or slices ofa loaf of homemade bread. Yesterday I just felt like having it in a poboy.
It consists of the bread being warmed, sliced and a little butter slathered on the warm bread, Then warmed cornbread dressing(usually I warm this in a pan to get nice crusty edges on it), warmed sliced turkey with gravy laddle over it. Next comes the cranberry sauce(last night I used the canned version)and finally mayo.

As a poboy this can be a bit of a sloppy sandwich to eat but it's still delicious!

I began making and eating this sandwich almost 40 years ago and it was a cherished tradition to enjoy it while watching early on the movie It's a Wonderful Life and then later on The Christmas Story that was broadcast on Thanksgiving night.  A Christmas Carol(in all or the renditions that have been made)was another favorite.

Not a great picture..... There's just something about the sweet and tart and savory with the mayo that makes this sandwich amazing.

I will most likely be enjoying another sandwich tonight but on sliced bread. I have in the past done this as a panini style version and I can't find anything negative about that.

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: After Thanksgiving Day Sandwich
« on: November 28, 2020, 02:45:11 PM »
Looks amazing Nate.  You should have plenty of turkey to last awhile!
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 07:29:36 PM »
I've known you long enough to KNOW this sandwich was coming :)

Looks great, just as it has for the last 9 years, lol.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:12:39 AM »

What can I say........?  It's one of my favorite sandwiches!!! Lol.....
Saturday evening I went to make myself another sandwich and there was no turkey left. Fortunately I still had that second turkey in the fridge. Sunday was predicted to be rainy(no turkey frying again)so I put it in the oven and roasted it overnight. Last night I enjoyed my second sandwich. This time it was on lightly pan toasted sliced bread. Only problem was there was also no leftover turkey gravy. That'll be remedied today because after carving yesterday's turkey up I tossed the carcass in a pot with halved onions, a couple of heads of halved garlic and a small handful of peppercorns into a pot with cold water and on the stove it went for a long simmering for a nice stock.

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Custom made Deep Fryer

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
Dang I'm on the way!!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 11:01:28 AM »
Alright, so first of all we had Thanksgiving Day with the immediate family which was me, my wife, son, daughter, other daughter with her husband and their three beautiful children. If we broke rules I don't care. The way life has been lately we're grabbing life while we can because tomorrow is not promised.

So here is the oven roasted turkey I cooked overnight Wednesday. It was supposed to be a 20 pound turkey that I oven roasted and this one, about 17+ lbs was supposed to get fried Thursday morning. I made my own injection marinade from a stock I made for this purpose and the turkey gravy. I ended up with half a gallon of stock for each the gravy and injection. After making it and injecting bothe turkeys and seasoning both they were put back in the fridge. Wednesday evening about 9:00pm I went to get the turkey to be roasted from the fridge and both looked so big from being injected that I got the two mixed up. Lol...... I realized this the next morning as I was getting the fryer ready for putting the turkey. As luck would have it it was really foggy Thursday morning and as I was heating the oil I decided that since we already had one turkey cooked that with the mist or light drizzle beginning to cancel frying the second turkey. Or rather postpone it at least. After making this call I noticed that the roasted turkey after cooking looked a little smaller. Then I realized I roasted the smaller turkey and that the other one would be tight fit into the turkey fryer pot. So that turkey can't be fried because after noticing this I checked and it will indeed be a really tight squeeze getting that turkey in there. I could've kicked myself. So I'll be roasting another turkey overnight tonight. I may still get another smaller bird to fry during the week since I already have the peanut oil for doing a deep fried turkey and turkey is pretty well enjoyed here.

O.K. now back to my turkey sandwich. Yesterday I stopped in and picked up a fresh loaf of French bread for one of my favorite sandwiches. Then last night for dinner I had THE sandwich.

Normally I have this on sliced bread or slices ofa loaf of homemade bread. Yesterday I just felt like having it in a poboy.
It consists of the bread being warmed, sliced and a little butter slathered on the warm bread, Then warmed cornbread dressing(usually I warm this in a pan to get nice crusty edges on it), warmed sliced turkey with gravy laddle over it. Next comes the cranberry sauce(last night I used the canned version)and finally mayo.

As a poboy this can be a bit of a sloppy sandwich to eat but it's still delicious!

I began making and eating this sandwich almost 40 years ago and it was a cherished tradition to enjoy it while watching early on the movie It's a Wonderful Life and then later on The Christmas Story that was broadcast on Thanksgiving night.  A Christmas Carol(in all or the renditions that have been made)was another favorite.

Not a great picture..... There's just something about the sweet and tart and savory with the mayo that makes this sandwich amazing.

I will most likely be enjoying another sandwich tonight but on sliced bread. I have in the past done this as a panini style version and I can't find anything negative about that.

Two things if I may

1) on the top part you lost me on the third turn lol

2) You must be the original person to come out with the Turkey Terrific (40 years) not the Nantucket Deli.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:10:35 AM by Tailgating is my game »
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:26:01 PM »

Two things if I may

1) on the top part you lost me one the third turn lol

[/quote]

Not sure where you say I lost you.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Custom made Deep Fryer

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 04:15:57 PM »

Two things if I may

1) on the top part you lost me one the third turn lol

Not sure where you say I lost you.
[/quote]

Just kidding many twists to your story lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Walleyewacker

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 06:37:06 PM »
Awesome sandwich . Great looking bird also .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline thedietz

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 02:42:43 PM »
it's been a while Caj but you are still killing it.  Hope all is well

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »
it's been a while Caj but you are still killing it.  Hope all is well

"thedietz" Hey dude, how are you? I was thinking about some of the old gang just not that long ago.
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Custom made Deep Fryer

Offline thedietz

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 09:28:42 PM »
the family is staying healthy so can't ask for much more!  Kids are excited about the snow we are getting in PA wednesday.  Still firing up my keg as often as i can!