Author Topic: Beef Chuck Short Ribs  (Read 805 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Beef Chuck Short Ribs
« Reply #-1 on: March 14, 2021, 04:22:19 PM »

I bought this package of 7 “Boneless Chuck Short Ribs”.  (Notice the Blade Tenderized warning?)

I should have photographed the Costco packaging.  It would have shown them better.

I spent a lot of my youth in my dad’s butcher shop.  I was just a lackey, but I cut and wrapped a lot of beef.  I don’t really recognize these.

From the description, I’m guessing that they’re the meat that would have been on a nice cut of short ribs from the chuck.  I plan to rub them with my favorite brisket rub (Savor Spice's Fine Swine and Bovine) and smoke them for three hours at 235°F.  Then I’ll wrap them with a few butter pats, ¼ cup of soy sauce, ¼ cup of beef consume and ¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce.  Putting them back in the pit for two more hours should get them to a good IT.

Do you think that’s a workable plan?  How would you cook them?

For my next batch, I think I'll season them lightly with SPG, sous vide them for about 38 hours at 135°F, flash chill to 32°F, then season them with my favorite brisket rub and smoke them at 225°F to an IT of 150-160°F and compare.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:39:38 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Beef Chuck Short Ribs
« on: March 14, 2021, 05:08:22 PM »
It all sounds good. Keep us posted.

For my next batch, I think I'll season them lightly with SPG, sous vide them for about 38 hours at 135°F...

I had an odor and taste issue with a similarly long sous vide short rib cook years ago and have successfully used the following tip (from a long-forgotten source) ever since. I'd especially consider it with blade-tenderized meat where little creepy things can get into the mix...

Scald in boiling water for 30 seconds after vacuum sealing when cooking meat below 60C/140F for 8 hours or longer (even if searing ahead).

Jus' sayin'...

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 07:21:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Mr. Turtle.  But I'm confused by it.

On bacteria pushed deep inside, can 30 seconds at 212°F be more effective than a day and a half at 135°F?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 08:22:48 PM »
Hell if I know but it works for me.

Okay, I just Googled "boil before sous vide" and learned that it kills lactobacillus which ain't poison but can cause a bad smell in a long, slow cook. Don't know if that works only for surface creepies or gets down inside (although logically, as you asked, why would it?).

Unfortunately for any continued research, it's now cocktail time at my house (as it is most of the time, come to think of it) so I'm off to the bar cabinet.

That's all I know.

OBTW, Happy Pi Day to all.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion