Author Topic: Brisket done right!  (Read 1349 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Brisket done right!
« Reply #-1 on: May 02, 2021, 07:21:55 PM »
As many of you know, bbq is an ever evolving thing. We all learn as we go, change things up here and there and sometimes we get lucky and find the sweet spot.

I've made MANY briskets that I thought were good but only a handful I would label as great. Today, I made a great one.

I got up this morning at 2:00 something, not sure when exactly. My original plan was to get up at 3:00 and pull the brisket from the fridge to let it warm up but I got up earlier.

Did my usual trim, saved the fat for later to render down to make my own tallow. I injected it with my trusty Spitjack (the world's most overpriced injector). I used what I like to consider one of my secret weapons, Shiner Bock beer. Not much, maybe half a bottle if that. I applied my all time favorite rub for brisket (Peppered Cow) and I let the brisket sit on the counter until it was time to smoke.

I fired up the KBQ and had the brisket on close to 4:00 and let it roll until it got to the color I wanted, I couldn't care less what the inside temp was. I did spritz it ONCE with a little ACV/water mixture (50/50). Once it was the color I wanted, I wrapped it in peach butcher paper and back in the smoker it went. I pulled it off at around 4:00 this afternoon so it was right at a 12 hour smoke with an average temp around 225-230ish.

That fat I saved? Well, that took a long while to render but it did make some really nice tallow. I had wanted to apply that to the butcher paper upon wrapping but it wasn't rendered down yet so I actually just spooned some on the finished brisket when I took it off of the smoker. I opened up the paper and added it and closed it back up and wrapped with foil and into a towel lined cooler it went for about 2 hours.

Both the flat and the point were super tender when probing, about 200 degrees in each. I could tell by probing it was going to be good! There was not ONE bit of it crunchy or crumbly, the flat was super juicy, even the first cut you make, the little end cut was an absolute moist little flavor bomb.

Take a look :

Here are 2 small videos of it as I unwrap it and then slice it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kNjvOoV5TDAl7rehQ1CPVNDiGr7SpzNG/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kPmGHKhJJ55_1PtLCaAyhCdDRIksBECb/view?usp=sharing
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline zueth

Re: Brisket done right!
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:34:07 PM »
Looks amazing. Great cook as always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 05:45:45 AM »
I meant to mention that this brisket was just a choice brisket from Kroger. I usually get prime from Costco. It cooked up better than any prime I've ever cooked.

Don't get me started on Wagyu! In my opinion, not worth the insanely expensive price. Choice works just fine.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 09:29:34 AM »
Looks fantastic. 

How did you render the fat and how do you store it?  what other uses does the tallow have?

I agree with choice briskets.  Some of the best briskets I've made have been choice from Walmart.  Done a couple of Prime from Costco, by the time the fat is trimmed, the flat was really thin. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 09:24:45 AM by bamabob »
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 12:52:08 PM »
Looks fantastic. 

How did you render the fat and how do you store it?  what other uses does the tallow have?

I agree with choice briskets.  Some of the best briskets I've made have been choice from Walmart.  Done a couple of Prime from Costco, by the time the fat is trimmed, the point was really thin.

Hey Bob, I just put it all into a large pot and let it simmer. It took hours but it did render some really nice tallow. I could've let it go even longer but I got enough for my purposes. I will never buy tallow again. The last time I did, I used tallow from Kroger (Private Selection house brand). It didn't taste like what I made honestly. As for storage, put it in a jar and into the fridge. I have some left. Once you render it, pour it through cheese cloth to strain it. I used a sifter with a coffee filter in it, placed over a bowl, worked great.

Other uses, fry french fries in it. That's what McDonald's used to do. Speaking of which, buy yourself some Wyler's Beef Powder and sprinkle that on fries. Gooooood stuff! Air fried fries with a sprinkling of it is good eats!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 12:50:23 AM »
I meant to mention that this brisket was just a choice brisket from Kroger. I usually get prime from Costco. It cooked up better than any prime I've ever cooked.

Don't get me started on Wagyu! In my opinion, not worth the insanely expensive price. Choice works just fine.

Open that Restaurant :) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 01:47:35 PM »

Open that Restaurant :) ;)

Maybe one day!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 02:42:57 PM »
Looks mighty good from here.

I have a nice brislet in the freezer waiting for the right time to smoke...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 10:38:33 AM »
Looks fantastic!!

Love it when a plan comes together!
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 12:21:05 PM »
I hate to say it but I can watch those little video clips in a loop, lol! A jiggly floppy brisket is a thing of beauty :P

Offline Oneof11

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 10:00:49 AM »
Very Nice cook RG. I have cooked a few briskets as well and have a some good but never anything that I thought was great. This one for you does look really really good.
Go Chiefs!!!!

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 04:03:33 PM »
Very Nice cook RG. I have cooked a few briskets as well and have a some good but never anything that I thought was great. This one for you does look really really good.

I find that there are essential steps to making a better than good brisket, it all comes down to time. If I plan ahead, I can make them like this one consistently. When I deviate, the end product suffers mightily. If I want them to always be excellent, it takes a lot of planning and prep and time is such a valuable commodity, it's rare that I can devote that much to a cook anymore. This was an exception but hopefully that'll change in the next year or so.

Also, thanks for the compliment! I wish I could share some of it with you, lol. We're having brisket quesadillas tonight and I am excited about it :P

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 08:13:33 AM »

That's an awesome looking brisket Jason!!!!!
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill