Author Topic: Brisket: What do you think, am I botching this?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Brisket: What do you think, am I botching this?
« Reply #-1 on: July 26, 2021, 05:33:46 PM »
Plan on cooking a brisket for a gathering later this week.  Only one I could find locally was one of those certified angus beef select grades.  Picked up an 18 pounder.  Trying something different this time, trimmed as much fat off as I could, even that hard fat deep down between the point and flat.  Used that hole puncher thing, I think it's called a Jacard, rubbed with olive oil and added the rub.  Paid $4.00 a pound, trimmed 6 pounds of fat off for 12 pounds to go on the keg.  So paid $6.00 a pound for what is getting cooked.  If I lived closer to Costco I would have got a prime flat, well trimmed for the same per pound precooked cost.
After seeing a post on here about rendering beef tallow and placing fat above the meat to rain down on it I save about a pound of the softer fat that was starting to melt at room temp as I trimmed.  I plan on putting that on the top rack of the keg. 

Here's the trimmed brisket and six pounds of trimmed fat.

image hosting

Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Brisket: What do you think, am I botching this?
« on: July 26, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »
"Select" is usually slightly less juicy and tender than the higher grades but it's all brisket and the cow didn't know it was only graded "Select." You may have to make a few allowances but it should be fine.

My 2ยข worth...

It will likely take longer to cook than a higher grade. Cook to IT & tenderness as always and be prepared to ignore the clock. No big deal but don't jump to the conclusion that your meat probe/thermometer is broken.

You may have trimmed a bit more of the surface fat than I would have but the tallow drip may handle that. Other options (which I've never tried) might be to smear melted tallow directly on the surface or drape it with slices of the trim shown in your photo (like you might drape another cut with bacon). In any event, the extra fat won't hurt the meat.

I generally smoke "nekkid" (the brisket, not me) but would consider using a Texas crutch (wrap through the stall) with Select. You might also look at injecting whatever it is people inject into briskets before cooking (I don't do that so can't really advise one way or the other but it would seem to make sense with a lower grade, heavily trimmed cut).

Keep the smoking environment moist - use a pan of water in there somewhere.

Either send a message to IR2dum or hope he just shows up - he knows lots more than I do about cooking briskets (mostly because he's so much older than I am).

That's all I know - make it happen!

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline bamabob

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 07:12:36 PM »
Thanks Turtle.  I'll plan on wrapping, in butcher paper.  If it still seems dry when done I'll try wrapping in foil and scooping some of the drippings from the drip pan, add to the wrap and let rest for 3 or 4 hours.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline bamabob

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 09:42:06 AM »
Well this was interesting.  Put the brisket on last night around 8, ran at 230-240 all night, wrapped in butcher paper at 5 this morning, finished at 203 at 8 o'clock. Wrapped in foil and towels and now in the cooler for a few hours, probably 4.
It was plenty moist and jiggly, the probe slid in like butter, I think the fat raining down from above did the trick and got a nice bark on both sides of the brisket.

Here it is just on with the fat on the rack above.

navigate to the nearest fuel station

After nine hours, ready for the wrap

After 12 hours, called it done

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline bamabob

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 01:44:31 PM »
So after a four hour rest in the cooler I unwrapped it and the temp was still over 150*. And oh yeah, it was plenty moist. Went to pick it up and the flat separated cleanly from the point. I like that there isn't a layer of fat on one side of it. I'll be overtrimming all my briskets from now on. It even cooked faster, only 12 hours instead of the usual 14-16 for a 18 pound packer.  After looking at the original pic above of the overtrimmed brisket I think this one was probably choice, not select. Lots of marbling. Cooling down now and in the fridge later for slicing tomorrow and making burnt ends. Will be heated later this week for a gathering.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 04:37:14 PM »
"Sometimes the magic works..."
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hd002

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 12:54:54 PM »
Nice Work  :thumbup:

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 08:02:26 PM »
I normally don't trim my select grade briskets at all, but I think you are on the right track by letting the trimmings drip on the brisket. Turtle is correct in keeping a moist area with a water pan. It evaporates quickly, so check it often.

Select briskets can turn out as good as choice or prime. It looks like yours turned out very well. It looks delicious.

I don't ever want to see Turtle cook "nekkid". And Turtle is right, I did have an extra 3 days to gain more knowledge than him...I just wished that I had used those 3 days a little more wisely.