Author Topic: Manwiches  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Over Dunn

Re: Manwiches
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 03:58:27 PM »
I'll wrap them at about 165/170, one in foil, one in red paper. The two butts I did on the hangers didn't fall in, but, who knows. So what? How many weenies have you eaten out of the fire and on the coals, when you were a Boy Scout? I can put carcass on all my grates, but ye ole PBC is the only one that lets me hang. Living on the edge, my motto!  ;D ;) :-*

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 12:11:13 PM »
Just wondering... Is there some advantage to hanging the meat (beyond getting more meat in the cooker) vs. laying on the grate? For example, does the heat / smoke have a better opportunity to hit the meat on all sides vs. the "bottom"? Then again, maybe I am trying to overthink this...

David

Hey David, check this out... Here's a little info from Dr. Greg Blonder

There are a couple of reasons. These vertical cookers are almost always much hotter near the bottom than the top. Sure, heat rises, but the fire is on the bottom and it heats up the steel, which conducts heat up along the side. Plus air vents at the top side edge, reducing heat accumulation under the lid. The Pit Barrel is a 30 gallon drum, vs a 55 UDS, and that really drives thermal conduction higher towards the bottom in a small drum, and closer to the fire.

The meat distribution relative to the vents matters. If you place the meat horizontally on a grate, rather than hang, it acts as insulation between the fire and the lid- so the air actually becomes cooler in the gap under the lid. And more humid. Remember, its 90F outside air on one side of the lid, and 140F meat temp on the other side of the lid. At least if the meat blocks the lid from the fire. Hung vertically, heat flows around the meat to the vents, so the meat is encased in a bubble of hot air. Less cool dead air at the top of the drum.

Finally, juices drip off vertical meat faster than horizontal on a grill, where they pool on the bottom of the meat and on the grate. This extra liquid enhances evaporative cooling, and thus slows cooking.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Thanks, Noah (Amber?)  ;D I figured there was a very good reason for hanging, given all the expermenting you've talked about doing. And it sounds like in this case, treating the chuck roast like a pork butt (hang then wrap and grate) might be the right way to go.

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »
The rub, about thirty minutes before into the barrel. ;)

Into the heat. Haven't fallen off, yet!  :P

After two and half hours, IT was 165, so I added 1/2 cup of beef stock, and wrapped in foil to put on the grill.

Finished product before being wrapped and put into Cambro for poker party. Tasted pretty good.  :P

Just after using Roman meat puller at the eating sight. Poured go juice(de-fatted foil liquid) over the meat and served with Old Dave's low carb sauce. Gang seemed to like it, they ate the whole pot! I still prefer pork, but this was a nice change of pace. Jerked pieces off fire at a IT of 207 for one roast and 205 for the smaller. Next time, will wait to 210. Happy Queing, gang!  ;)

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:43:37 PM by Over Dunn »
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 10:17:53 AM »
Great job you Old Buzzard  :)  Pulled chuckies are a real treat. I remember Rocky told me once to add a cube of butter to the pulled chuckie along with a sprinkle of rub for another layer of flavor.  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »

Wow, nice!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »
beef looks great.  how did you like the cow cover rub.  i've been wanting to try the kosmo's rubs. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »
beef looks great.  how did you like the cow cover rub.  i've been wanting to try the kosmo's rubs.

Not bad, Sparky. Gives the meat a nice reddish color. I don't use it on brisket, got my own double bubble, toil and trouble.  ;)

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker