Author Topic: Crispy Pork Skin  (Read 996 times)

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

Crispy Pork Skin
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
Since there is a thread about the fat cap ON vs. OFF, then fat cap on the grate vs fat cap up, thought it would be a good time to start a seperate thread and pose a new question, this one about the skin.

If you leave the fat cap on and it has skin, what do you do to get that perfect crispy skin?

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Crispy Pork Skin
« on: April 25, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
From my experience, after I have pulled the butt off the rack the skin is somewhat crisp but not what could be classified as really crisp. What there is is mainly bark which I mix in with the meat.  It would be great if the skin were crispy like on a whole hog and it could be used like cracklin'. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Sam3

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
Well, when I making picnic shoulders (or a pig), I can get very crunchy skin. However, it previously referred to in another thread as a "cajun microwave". So I'm not sure it applies to LTBBQ, being it's not smoked or grilled for that matter.
Hope you get your answer.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:39:30 PM »
Are we discussing butt, picnic or whole shoulder?  Picnic skin makes good dog food IMO, but that's about it.  ;)  I will leave it on in some instances for the flavor profile it creates if you take it off after cooking, but you will suffer for lack of bark.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:46:05 PM »
I have never had good luck with the skin getting crisp on my Traeger. I did some skin on bacon and even after frying the skin was tough. The best way I know how is after smoking pop it under a broiler but you have to be careful you don't burn it. Sananahsmoker is the only one I know that has good luck with skin on his picnic hams, maybe he will pop in here and give you some tips. If you want good pork skin you have to render some lard and make cracklins. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
Well, when I making picnic shoulders (or a pig), I can get very crunchy skin. However, it previously referred to in another thread as a "cajun microwave". So I'm not sure it applies to LTBBQ, being it's not smoked or grilled for that matter.
Hope you get your answer.

Hey - Sam! If you cook it...it applies here on LTBBQ. We are not "purists" about method. If it works - share it!

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401