Author Topic: Fireworks  (Read 3125 times)

Offline Pappymn

Fireworks
« Reply #-1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »
The great nanny state of Minnesota does not allow me to purchase "real" fireworks in Minnesota. Thankfully, I live 20 minutes from Wisconsin where their people are slightly more free.

Just a quick trip to get the good stuff. I like to give my kids a show!

Wisconsin is also handy for buying alcohol on Sunday.....also not allowed in Minnesota.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RickB

Re: Fireworks
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »
Consider yourself lucky. A few years ago on new years eve had some friends over for drinks and we set some off. We were watching this one rocket go up and all of a sudden it turned 180 and went straight down. It was only a street over where it went down and we heard it explode. So off we ran just knowing we had hit something. Sure enough I had set a county police officers yard on fire. Needless to say that was the end of fireworks at the Birch household. He was a good sport  about it after we stomped his yard out. He did remind us that fireworks were illegal in Georgia!  :D :D

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 06:29:15 PM »
The great nanny state of Minnesota does not allow me to purchase "real" fireworks in Minnesota. Thankfully, I live 20 minutes from Wisconsin where their people are slightly more free.

Wisconsin is also handy for buying alcohol on Sunday.....also not allowed in Minnesota.

I'm with you, Pappy!

I grew up in North Dakota - the good stuff (both fireworks and alcohol) were legal. We used to shoot off M-80's and Silver Salutes! I lived in Wisconsin for 10 years and we had great 4th of July parties (luckily we never burned down the yard of a local cop!)

Now in the state where nothing is allowed... the 4th is not so exciting. But it is still a great holiday and the border (as you point out) is not that far away!

Have a great and inspired Independence Day Holiday!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
I do not know what you guys are complaining about. I wouldn't know how I got through the last 70 years without everybody knowing better and telling me what to do. It seems like there are elitist people everywhere who know whats best for you so you may as well shut up and do what they say.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline RickB

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
I do not know what you guys are complaining about. I wouldn't know how I got through the last 70 years without everybody knowing better and telling me what to do. It seems like there are elitist people everywhere who know whats best for you so you may as well shut up and do what they say.

Ed

NOT in this lifetime!!

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »

Ed

lol... I may be a curmudgeon (ok I AM a curmudgeon) but I see a disconnect between celebrating Independence Day and being told I cannot be trusted with more than a "lady finger" fire cracker.... might just be me...  ::) ::) ::)
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RickB

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »

I'm with you, Pappy!

I grew up in North Dakota - the good stuff (both fireworks and alcohol) were legal. We used to shoot off M-80's and Silver Salutes! I lived in Wisconsin for 10 years and we had great 4th of July parties (luckily we never burned down the yard of a local cop!)

Now in the state where nothing is allowed... the 4th is not so exciting. But it is still a great holiday and the border (as you point out) is not that far away!

David

David I just have one question. In a state where the only thing worse than the weather is the politics, why in Gods name does ANYONE live there?  ;D ;D ;D

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »

I'm with you, Pappy!

David

David I just have one question. In a state where the only thing worse than the weather is the politics, why in Gods name does ANYONE live there?  ;D ;D ;D

SWMBO - it was a deal we worked out before we were married and when I figured there was NO way I'd ever move back to MN... I lost... ooops...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 07:39:56 PM »
We have a few Tribal reservations that sell the real deal fireworks but getting them off the Res, is a different story. I have not purchased fireworks in over ten years. Oh, we can purchase booze on Sunday too ;D Pots legal now too unless you have a job that does random drug testing. Guess its what more important, a Job or getting high, I'll take the job for now ;)

Offline RickB

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »

I'm with you, Pappy!

David

SWMBO - it was a deal we worked out before we were married and when I figured there was NO way I'd ever move back to MN... I lost... ooops...

Say no more. As men we all know we dont start thinking clearly till a couple of years after we are married!  :D :D

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »

Ed

lol... I may be a curmudgeon (ok I AM a curmudgeon) but I see a disconnect between celebrating Independence Day and being told I cannot be trusted with more than a "lady finger" fire cracker.... might just be me...  ::) ::) ::)

David, you are still just a curmudgeon in training. The turtle and Dee are full fledged curmudgeons. I have not quite earned my curmudgeon status but have my Dirty Old Man certificate framed and hung on the wall.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:45:02 PM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Pappymn

Fireworks
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »

I'm with you, Pappy!

David

We really dig paying crazy high taxes :). And we are one of the few states that actually just raised them again. Income taxes, smokes, and a laundry list of others. We are on the cutting edge of crazy!
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

Fireworks
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 07:48:51 PM »

Ed

David, you are still just a curmudgeon in training. The turtle and Dee are full fledged curmudgeons. I have not quite earned my curmudgeon status but have my Dirty Old Man certificate framed and hung on the wall.

Dee and Turtle should put on a seminar. I consider myself a black belt curmudgeon. But I am always interested in advancing my skills ???
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »

I'm with you, Pappy!

David

We really dig paying crazy high taxes :). And we are one of the few states that actually just raised them again. Income taxes, smokes, and a laundry list of others. We are on the cutting edge of crazy!

Well if you going to go crazy why not go all the way and get better weather in Cali! You get the added benefit of famous people like Nancy Pelosie and Maxine Waters among a cast of crazies!  ;D

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Well, at least here in Texas there are plenty of places to buy the real thing for the fourth of July if you want that. There are a few who put together there own version of fireworks that are a tad more explosive.

I hope that I did not offend anyone with my comment. I was really saying that with tongue in cheek. However, what was mentioned concerning the "nanny" state is part of the great "transformation" of America. Fortunately, my years are numbered and I won't be around to "enjoy" such endeavors. I often wonder if the pendulum will swing back or we are witnesses to the beginning of the end i.e. the decline and fall of the American empire.

I guess I will focus on what am I going to cook next on the wood smoker.

Have a great day!

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.