Author Topic: Introducing a new member to my family  (Read 5412 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Introducing a new member to my family
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 09:50:20 AM »
Man Mike,thats really the pits.Im real sorry to hear that.I always take the pain pill scrips,never know if you will need one or a dozen,and when you do its nice to have a few on hand.

Hope you heal fast,that sure sucks.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
He is so homely he is cute, like me.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:58 AM »
He is so homely he is cute, like me.

I would agree except for after he attacked my daughter and me his cuteness has gone away...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Guido1964

• Cook it outdoors
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about this attack. It is really surprising to see an attack on a child by a boxer. the several vets I know call them the nanny breed. 

I do know a bunch of people with boxers and kids.  Almost all of them have to put the Boxer outside before they discipline the child or the Boxer will attack the parents defending the child. I am not excusing the dogs behavior because it was overly extreme.  But maybe this explanation of what I know about the breed will help with understanding what happened a little bit.
Charbroil 940X
Charbroil Tabletop Gas Grill
Charbroil Vertical gas smoker
Charbroil SMK smoker box
Chargriller Wrangler
Piece of expanded steel for camp fire

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about this attack. It is really surprising to see an attack on a child by a boxer. the several vets I know call them the nanny breed. 

I do know a bunch of people with boxers and kids.  Almost all of them have to put the Boxer outside before they discipline the child or the Boxer will attack the parents defending the child. I am not excusing the dogs behavior because it was overly extreme.  But maybe this explanation of what I know about the breed will help with understanding what happened a little bit.

If that is the case then Boxers are not a breed I would recommend to anyone! Any dog that nips to defend itself I can understand. But this dog chased me through the house to the kitchen and viciously attacked me. I had to jump up on the kitchen counter to avoid being further attacked. If my wife was not home my only choice would have been to grab a kitchen knife and kill the dog. Not something I wanted to do. Luckily she was able to convince the dog to go outside.

I would hope that not all boxers are like this but I will never get one again. No pit bulls, rots, boxers, or any breed that can kill.

I will stick with labs and golden retrievers. Never heard of a vicious attack like this from them!
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
Mike, I would have to get rid of that dog. You can't take a chance of it attaching your kids.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
I had boxer/pit bull mixed and it was a good dog. Never had any issues with him at all but one day he took off and never seen him since.  But at the time I would have gotten another boxer just couldn't come up with the $$$ needed.

I'll stay with small dogs now, getting to old to deal with large ones :( 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 12:24:49 PM »
Mike, I would have to get rid of that dog. You can't take a chance of it attaching your kids.

The dog is confined right now. The people we got him from are going to pick him up. I am not keeping him. Not after this. If it was my choice I would put him down but I let the wife make the decision.

It hurts because we were all really attached to the dog. He never showed signs of this type of aggression until now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:43:41 PM by muebe »
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
Mike, sorry to hear of your recent unexpected accident. I hope that you and your daughter heal well and recover fully.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
Mike I've been thinking about this unfortunate event for you and your daughter since I heard it last night. Boxers have a fabulous reputation as being great family dogs. For something like this to happen makes me think that something your daughter did must have triggered a reaction by the dog from some major mistreatment is his past. It's very sad for all concerned, no one wins here. But your family comes first, you have to be safe! Unfortunately some as#!^/@ may have caused this in Guy a long time ago and it finally came out. We feel for you buddy! And hope you and the little one get to feeling better real soon!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »
Mike I've been thinking about this unfortunate event for you and your daughter since I heard it last night. Boxers have a fabulous reputation as being great family dogs. For something like this to happen makes me think that something your daughter did must have triggered a reaction by the dog from some major mistreatment is his past. It's very sad for all concerned, no one wins here. But your family comes first, you have to be safe! Unfortunately some as#!^/@ may have caused this in Guy a long time ago and it finally came out. We feel for you buddy! And hope you and the little one get to feeling better real soon!

You could be right Gene. The people we got him from had him as a puppy so I don't know how he was raised but it appears not so good. He is 5 years old. I unfortunately found out that he had bitten one of them before however not like this. Just a quick nip. They told us last night after they found out we were attacked. I would have never allowed the dog into my home had I known that!

Thanks everyone for your concerns. I go to see a dentist today at 3:30PM to see what they can do. I can't really eat anything and that sucks! I hope I don't require oral surgery but I am assuming I will. After X-Ray's they will be able to see what they are working with.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »

You could be right Gene. The people we got him from had him as a puppy so I don't know how he was raised but it appears not so good. He is 5 years old. I unfortunately found out that he had bitten one of them before however not like this. Just a quick nip. They told us last night after they found out we were attacked. I would have never allowed the dog into my home had I known that!

Thanks everyone for your concerns. I go to see a dentist today at 3:30PM to see what they can do. I can't really eat anything and that sucks! I hope I don't require oral surgery but I am assuming I will. After X-Ray's they will be able to see what they are working with.

We'll be praying for you Mike. 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pappymn

Introducing a new member to my family
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »
Good luck today Sir!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »
Hey Mike, so very sorry to hear about your, and your daughter's, injuries.  I hope that you got good news today!

You made the right decision about Guy.  It's just an awful shame, though.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2014, 06:34:37 PM »
Ive been thinking about this too.

I am the biggest animal lover there is....I would put him down.Something is wrong in his makeup and he is a danger to others.I wouldnt give him back at all.The dog is a serious risk to people,and if he harms a kid later you will never forgive yourself,even if he isnt a problem of 'yours' going forward.

The dog is just too high risk.

And yes I love boxers and pits,our dog park is filled with the nicest loving-est sweetheart pits you could ever meet,but a couple gangbanging jerks have brought some really horrible pits around that were just destroyed either by their environments or genetics that give them all a horrible name.

Had some jerk with TWO Boerbulls,that attacked everything thing in sight,he couldnt control them and says they are just playing.After the second incidence,first chased me up a bench,they were attacking a lab front and rear.

We called animal control,he smirks,its my word against yours.

Actually its not,told him in spicy language (and Mrs with her pepper spray and me holding a stun gun,have in car and seen him before) first bite is free,second is removal and death,and there is no fighting it either,its a done deal,they take dog bites real serious in Ca,and the animal control has big power here.He gets in his truck,sprays gravel over us and our cars,and never saw him again.

Now there is a guaranteed disaster that will happen in the future.

And its that kind of dog,and your experience that I urge you reconsider and put him down.

Carl
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:41:09 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.