Author Topic: Clarified Butter  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Patio Cook#1

Re: Clarified Butter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 06:42:59 AM »
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/how-to-clarify-butter-step-by-step-instructions-.html

Clarified butter is very easy to  make at home. I usually do 2-3 sticks of unsalted butter at a time.
As you see in my earlier photograph, the simmered butter is now resting and settling in a zip-lock bag which is hanging from the upper cabinet knob.  The pan at the botton is the pan used in simmering and the plastic container will be slid underneath to gather the clarified butter. So, at this time I will tack a scissors and snip ( think small) off the bottom point on the baggie allowing the milk solids to drain back into the pan. This is the waste portion. As soon as the white milk solids have drained and the golden yellow clarified butter begins to drain, I slide the pan away and the plastic storage container underneath the drip flow to gather the butter.

I'll copy and paste from my recipe files and see if it is explained any better.

CLARIFIED BUTTER
2 ¼ sticks of unsalted butter
Melt butter in small saucepan on with medium heat and allow melted butter to simmer slowly for 5 minutes. Do not allow butter to boil
Remove and cover melted butter. Allow melted butter to cool to 120 F.
When temperature reaches 120 F, pour melted butter in to quart size zip-lock bag and close bag.
Punch hole into corner of bag near the zipper top. Tie up the bag, hanging it about 6-10 inches over counter top.
Allow melted butter to hang for 10 minutes.
Notice the three separate sections of the melted butter. Foam on top – the white milk solids on bottom - clear golden liquid in center. Place a container to use as waste pan under zip-lock bag.  Cut with scissors, a very small corner of the bottom of zip lock bag and allow the white watery compound to drain into waste pan. If the drains is slow and clogged, tap bag or snip off a very tiny bit more.
Once the white watery solids part of mixture is emptied place a jar under toe flow to catch the clarified butter.
Watch as the golden clear component drains out and the white top foam is about to drain -- & then slide the waste container back under for the remainder of fluid.
Refrigerate clarified butter & then examine for incomplete separation in container. Scrape off solids that have surfaced on top of the clarified butter
This should result in about 8 oz. of clarified butter
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:33:39 AM by Patio Cook#1 »