Author Topic: Pyrat rum  (Read 1523 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Pyrat rum
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »
PZ - we could and should probably be saving for retirement. But we've always spent our "extra" money on taking the girls to various places. When I worked for Johnson Wax and was a global director - I always said that I wanted to take my kids (if and when I had them) to strange places. I wanted them to meet and play with kids of different colors, languages and opportunities so they would understand that none of that made a difference.

My youngest (Rocky) spent her first birthday in a small fishing village in Mexico. We never go to the resorts. We look for the fishing villages or the place at the end of the road. The kids always make friends.

Sometimes it is difficult, but I have always found in 30 years of traveling, if you have a good attitude, whoever you meet will try their best to help. The key for me is that my girls learn NOT to be afraid. I think fear is the biggest problem when meeting new cultures. They have been to dozens of countries and just been thrown in to survive. It has been fun!

Emma - our oldest - has been studying Spanish the past couple years. She has been traveling the Americas since she was 2 years old. I am convinced this has "paid off" as she is an honor student in Spanish. It is amazing how kids learn things. It was like that when I went through Berlitz immersion training 20 years ago...   8)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:33:21 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 11:55:41 PM »
I like the same kind of travel, David - avoid most of the tourist hangouts whenever possible.  We don't get to travel that much, but our last adventure was to southern France, in a tiny town called La Toulzanie, where we rented a gite as a central home spot from which to tour the back country of southern France.  We've many fond memories of wine, cheese, and bread while traveling the tiny towns.  For instance, we could purchase a bottle of Cahors wine for a couple of Euros, and a wheel of Camembert, plus a baguette of bread for the same.  I could eat like that every day.

You're so correct in saying that having a good attitude will win you the day.  I've colleagues that tell me that they hated France because the people were so rude there - my experience was the opposite.  From Paris to southern France, we drove the back roads and almost never encountered a person with a negative attitude.  All we had to do was try to speak their language, be polite to them, and they would go beyond the call of duty to help you.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »
Excellent pics David!

Very good travel advice from David and PZ!

Here is a really nice rum I found last year that won't burn a hole in your pocket.

[attachment deleted by admin]