Author Topic: Devotion....nuts.....or just too much money?  (Read 3438 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Devotion....nuts.....or just too much money?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »
I don't think I would like him if we met.  There are people in Texas going to bed hungry or going without health care and he feels okay about spending $115,000 for a (censored) license plate.  He may not turn a blind eye to social problems.  He may be a significant philanthropist.  But $115,000 so he can be noticed?

When I was in college I met some students who were communists.  I used to wonder how they could think that way until one morning I was jogging in an affluent Phoenix neighborhood.  In one yard I saw a crew of groundskeepers sweating while they pumped their hedge clippers.  On the patio sat two teenagers enjoying their breakfast.  Those gardeners must have looked at them and thought, "It's only an accident of birth that I'm over here and they're over there sipping ice cold orange juice."

I thought, "Oh, that's how people become communists.  Communists say, 'No one should have a fur coat until everyone has a warm coat.'"

The most ridiculous post I have ever read in my life.

Not going to disagree or agree with you....but please don't make my job hard. We all have opinions - and they all need perfume..... ;)
If you read my post above - you should get a sense "containment" for expressing  political, and religious views. They DO NOT belong here on this forum.

I am asking everyone - please, don't allow this to escalate - and do not evaluate your fellow members based on flippant and momentary remarks.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 09:20:47 PM »
They showed this on our news tonight...

http://www.kirotv.com/videos/sports/video-seahawks-fans-send-12th-man-flag-into-space/vCCQ9c/

Must be Aggie fan's... 'Cause The 12th Man belongs to Texas A&M!!! ;D
I think I remember that controversy awhile back, I'm not into feetball that much so no argument here :) :) I am going to watch Sunday just cause Sparky's a 49's Fan and I live in Washington ;)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
Maybe you and Sparky can have an on-line  cook-off!

I am hosting George ( gf graphics - our I.T. guru ) He is an Alabama guy....I promised that if Texas A&M wins...I will not poison him :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RickB

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:35:24 PM »
I don't think I would like him if we met.  There are people in Texas going to bed hungry or going without health care and he feels okay about spending $115,000 for a (censored) license plate.  He may not turn a blind eye to social problems.  He may be a significant philanthropist.  But $115,000 so he can be noticed?

When I was in college I met some students who were communists.  I used to wonder how they could think that way until one morning I was jogging in an affluent Phoenix neighborhood.  In one yard I saw a crew of groundskeepers sweating while they pumped their hedge clippers.  On the patio sat two teenagers enjoying their breakfast.  Those gardeners must have looked at them and thought, "It's only an accident of birth that I'm over here and they're over there sipping ice cold orange juice."

I thought, "Oh, that's how people become communists.  Communists say, 'No one should have a fur coat until everyone has a warm coat.'"

The most ridiculous post I have ever read in my life.

Not going to disagree or agree with you....but please don't make my job hard. We all have opinions - and they all need perfume..... ;)
If you read my post above - you should get a sense "containment" for expressing  political, and religious views. They DO NOT belong here on this forum.

I am asking everyone - please, don't allow this to escalate - and do not evaluate your fellow members based on flippant and momentary remarks.

No problem Tee...if you can put up with this kind of post and not expect a responce so be it. Personaly I am of the mind this guy is nuts! This is the mindset that is taking this country down the road of destruction. Dont worry I will not be back to cause you any pc problems. I just hope the money you are making is worth the soul you lose. Adios my friend! Been fun people but I draw the line here.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »
Well...I am sorry to hear it Rick - mostly because you miss the point entirely. Best of luck to you. I am sorry that you lost control, when it just was not necessary.

You are welcome here - but we WILL be requiring better self control for all members.

I repeat:
Let me just point to something that many of us over-look. This forum has grown in a very organic manner. We usually invite folks that we know. The commonalities of geography or social connections assist us in growing in this manner.
But - there is SO much that we can learn from other people in other countries about cooking outdoors - and their types of BBQ.
The one social commonality possessed by every nationality, and ethnic group of mankind is the tradition of cooking outdoors over a fire in some form or fashion. Think about that.... For some - it is ceremonial and for only special occasions - and for some, it is for daily sustenance. But ALL men and women around the globe enjoy what we love as well
We now are gaining members from other countries, and everyone should have pride in their homeland. We just want to be good representatives of LTBBQ by not isolating ourselves from the rest of the world in our comments.( I am saying this to myself in the mirror as I type this ;D )
So, the less we allow politics to interfere with cooking talk, the more likely we will see new members from other countries posting pictures and recipes that add an entirely new dimension to you cooking fun....I want to be clear in this - I am NOT expecting anyone to feel ashamed of who you are, where you live, and what your political views are. Far from it!
But, I would ask that we try to not alienate others by posting things that clearly can lead to others stereotyping you or LTBBQ as ANY one particular group, political or otherwise. This is not always easy ( Again - I am talking in mirror here  ;)).

Balance, fairness, consideration for differences of opinion, and open minds. Those are the hallmarks of a true quality driven community - and I am confident that you feel that way as well.
Because our real strength is in the variety of concepts and ideas that we all bring to "the table" ( pun intended ) let's all remember that the "prime directive of LTBBQ is to HAVE FUN.
OR CREDO:
BBQ…neither verb or noun…it is an experience…& best when shared with friends
Modify message
« Last Edit: Today at 07:27:36 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
Maybe you and Sparky can have an on-line  cook-off!

I am hosting George ( gf graphics - our I.T. guru ) He is an Alabama guy....I promised that if Texas A&M wins...I will not poison him :D :D :D
To be continued  on another thread :-\

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »

Readers, I’m sorry that I didn’t write my post well enough so that it couldn’t be misunderstand.  I’ll try to clarify what I was saying.  It’s in two parts—

In the first paragraph I was saying (rather forcefully, I’ll admit) that I think he could do more good with the money.

The second part is an oblique reference to how less privileged people might react to a story about a $115,000 license plate and how I came to understand what may sway them.

One responder may have read into my comments that I’m in favor of some government form other than democracy.  I certainly didn’t mean to imply that.

I’ll try to write more clearly in future posts. 
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
Thank you for the clarification p millen

It is easy to mis-understand posts sometimes....There is no sure fire way to prevent that. But we can all try to use a little patience, and - if you are uncertain of someone's post - PM them and ask what they meant. Politely....Respectfully....as YOU would like to be treated.

We will ALL make mistakes, so let's not hold onto any minor grievances either. ;) The Golden Rule should always prevail :).
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
The bottom line for me is that we live in the best country on the planet, and who am I to tell anyone how to spend the money they have earned. Live and let live has always been my motto.

In this particular instance, the purchase was not for himself, but for someone else, and we do not even know the full story. Maybe this veteran saved the man's son - we just don't know. I do know that if I had the money, and for example someone had saved my son's life, I'd pay ten times that much.

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
PZ- I agree...would I spend even a $100.00 for a vanity plate. At this point and time "NO". If I had worked hard in my life, or won the lottery and had the means and money to do it; I probably still wouldn't. Now, would I if I had the means, bid on this license plate that I would give to a Great American, who served our country (wounded or not) and kept my family safe. ABSOLUTELY!!!!

pmillen- I understood what you were saying and some what agree, especially in todays world.

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"