Author Topic: Brisket for Lunch  (Read 951 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Brisket for Lunch
« Reply #-1 on: September 14, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
Cooked a 13 lb packer overnight.  Thing ran hot and cooked quick (sat at around 300 all night with the dampers on the WSM almost closed and came off the pit before 7AM with plenty of lit coal still chugging along at 300 degrees), but that was OK.  The hot and fast wasn't on purpose, but I would rather adjust than fight the pit when it is hot and breezy.  Started at around 7:30 last night, so it was about an 11 hour cook with no crutch.  Held it until 11:00 for lunch.  Got sliced flat (pretty small flat on it), sliced point and pulled/chopped point.  Cooked a little different than I normally do (besides the hot and fast).  No injection, no rub glue.  Just a generous amount of my normal brisket rub on the dry meat and into the smoker until it was "knife through butter" probe tender (around 208 internal).  Only side was a big bowl of fruit salad (watermelon, cantalope, black grapes and red rasberries) to cut through the meat and the grease.  :P

[attachment deleted by admin]
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Brisket for Lunch
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »
Looks great! I would eat it right off the serving plate :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
I thought that was MY plate! Looks excellent.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:37:49 PM »
Looks delicious!

Offline Pappymn

Brisket for Lunch
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 06:48:36 PM »
Been seeing IT temps for brisket all over the board lately. From 185 - 208.

Got Pappy nervous and confused in light of my last brisket flop......still too soon for me.

Yours looks tasty!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:57:08 PM »
The internal temp doesn't really matter.  Quality of meat, cooking temp, etc all impact the proper time to pull a brisket.  When a probe goes into the thickest part of the flat like butter, it is done.  Higher quality meats will typically be probe tender far earlier than cheep ones.  Very slow cooked will also come off at a lower temp.  There is also the issue of how long to rest the meat.  Faster cooked brisket will need to rest a little longer to relax the muscle after coming off of the smoker.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
That is interesting SB, good advice, thanks for sharing!
That brisket is nice, very nice. Great job!  I could go for a sammie of that, and some of your salad as that looks excellent as well.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
looks pretty good from here.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
Nice Job Billy, Looks like a Excellent brisket and fruit salad .

Offline Sam3

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »
Looks great SB! Plate me up!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »
Plate me please
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »
The internal temp doesn't really matter.  Quality of meat, cooking temp, etc all impact the proper time to pull a brisket.  When a probe goes into the thickest part of the flat like butter, it is done.  Higher quality meats will typically be probe tender far earlier than cheep ones.  Very slow cooked will also come off at a lower temp.  There is also the issue of how long to rest the meat.  Faster cooked brisket will need to rest a little longer to relax the muscle after coming off of the smoker.

That's an interesting observation. It seems almost everything I read talks about this temp or that temp for slicing or for pulling, and how to get to the right temp.

Your comments are logical and make sense. I guess this is all part of the fun to learn to cook different types and cuts of meat. Reminds me of flyfishing...  ;) ;D ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I got a buddy that uses a toothpick to test his meats. When it goes in smooth and comes out clean it is ready. He has never owned a thermometer...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »

Your comments are logical and make sense. I guess this is all part of the fun to learn to cook different types and cuts of meat. Reminds me of flyfishing...  ;) ;D ;D

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get".  ~  Forest Gump

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 09:02:13 PM »
I got a buddy that uses a toothpick to test his meats. When it goes in smooth and comes out clean it is ready. He has never owned a thermometer...............

Are you sure he wasn't baking a cake?
Member #