Author Topic: Gunsmoke or Bonanza?  (Read 1225 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Gunsmoke or Bonanza?
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »
Chester.......or Festus????

I liked Festus more.
I'm with you on Festus...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »
Pappy,

You bring back some really great memories. I remember when I was a grade school kid - on Sunday nights - there were three shows that signaled the end of the weekend. Disney's Magical Kingdom, Wild Kingdom, and Gunsmoke. As Gunsmoke was winding down, I had to be ready for bed. This was so ingrained, that when I hear the Gunsmoke theme song today, I have the same immediate feeling. What great memories - thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »
Pappy,

You bring back some really great memories. I remember when I was a grade school kid - on Sunday nights - there were three shows that signaled the end of the weekend. Disney's Magical Kingdom, Wild Kingdom, and Gunsmoke. As Gunsmoke was winding down, I had to be ready for bed. This was so ingrained, that when I hear the Gunsmoke theme song today, I have the same immediate feeling. What great memories - thanks!

it was the same in my house too.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »
Chester was a simpleton that was fiercely loyal to Mr.Dillon.  Festus was more of the hillbilly type that also had Mathews back. I really enjoyed Burt Reynolds as Quint Asper the half breed. Quint filled the void after Dennis Weaver left the series. Ken Curtis appeared in previous episodes before he became a regular.

Did you know that Ken Curtis replaced Frank Sinatra in the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra?  That old scudder had some pipes on him!!

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Chili Head

Gunsmoke or Bonanza?
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
Gunsmoke! I like the 30 minute episodes on encore western. No commercials lol

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »
Gunsmoke! I like the 30 minute episodes on encore western. No commercials lol

I used to watch Gunsmoke and all of the Westerns with my Dad. When I saw the re-runs on the Western Channel, I started to watch some of the episodes and appreciated the adult content of the presentations. Although the other Westerns were entertaining, I really did enjoy Gunsmoke and Jim Arness along with the supporting cast of characters.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »
John Wayne was offered the part of Matt Dillon but turned it down because he felt being on TV would not be good for his big screen status.

Here he is introducing the first episode of Gunsmoke in 1955. The first ever episode was entitled "Matt gets shot"

Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32