Author Topic: Dog Food Possibly Tainted  (Read 1401 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Dog Food Possibly Tainted
« Reply #-1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
I started feeding my weimaraners and a miniature dachshund Blue Buffalo dog food about a year ago.  I changed to it because I thought it had a very good component list.  It was immediately obvious that their droppings were a bit loose but not overly worrisome.  A few weeks ago it appeared that the new sack of food the two weimaraners were eating from was causing diarrhea and vomiting.

I found horror stories on this web site:  http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html.

As I write this there are 395 comments.  The recent ones are similar to my experience.  Some dogs have died so it isn't just a food change (that often upsets a dog's stomach).
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline hikerman

Re: Dog Food Possibly Tainted
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
Be very careful Paul! The dried dog food industry has always had a systemic problem. Garbage in, garbage out. Diseased, and tainted, animal carcasses have always found there way into dog food. Cheap protein. Our deceased dog Gizmo had very bad allergy problems early on in life. We switched to Wellness-grain free. In time he got better. But issues in the industry crept up into high-grade dry foods.Corporate buy-outs!  After much research, we put Gizmo on a raw protein diet. Wholesome food we consume as well. In time ALL issues disappeared. This is the natural way a dog's digestive system was designed for. If you shop wisely it can be much more cost effective than buying premium dried, not to mention less vet bills. Gizmo lived to be 15 years old.
Good luck with your pets!

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:01:39 PM »
my wife makes our dogs food every week.  boiled chicken, peas, carrots, potatoes and rice (from the chicken broth).  they love it.  whenever I get a spoon my wife and the dogs give me dirty looks.  what?   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »
Paul, I had the same problem with Blue - I really wanted it to work, but it didn't. I'm feeding Roscoe Purina One right now and it is working well. But, I am leaning to what Gene and sparky are saying. I need to build a routine to be sure I am keeping up with the making as my dog is eating. Guess it is a matter of planning and discipline. Kind of like dog training...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
my wife makes our dogs food every week.  boiled chicken, peas, carrots, potatoes and rice (from the chicken broth).  they love it.  whenever I get a spoon my wife and the dogs give me dirty looks.  what?   ::)
Sparky they just wanna trade that rice in for some of your ribs..... 8)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 05:54:59 PM »
After much research, we put Gizmo on a raw protein diet. Wholesome food we consume as well. In time ALL issues disappeared. This is the natural way a dog's digestive system was designed for.

raw protein diet?  what was in it? 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 06:13:16 PM »
After much research, we put Gizmo on a raw protein diet. Wholesome food we consume as well. In time ALL issues disappeared. This is the natural way a dog's digestive system was designed for.

raw protein diet?  what was in it?
About 50-60 % raw chicken backs
          30% raw chicken leg qtrs.
           5 - 10% raw innards           

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:32 PM »
and that's all you feed them was that?  no veges or anything?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »
and that's all you feed them was that?  no veges or anything?
Yes sir. In the wild a wolf (our pets nearest relative) eats nothing but whole prey, raw. Bones, flesh, hair, blood, etc. They naturally get their nutrients from another living organism. The digestive enzymes needed to absorb nutrients from meat etc. are killed when cooked.    A good thing to check out----Google, The BARF Diet.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
ty, I will.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66