Author Topic: how do you know how much rub to but on?  (Read 1085 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
how do you know how much rub to but on?
« Reply #-1 on: September 24, 2013, 01:58:37 AM »
ok, I made Costco filets tonight on my wife's new weber q.  nice grill if ya have to use gas.  I use double secret steak rub.  same rub I use all the time for steaks.  I sprinkle it on both sides and pat down a little w/ the tongs.   same amount as always.  wife says her steak was under seasoned.  how do you know how much rub to put on?  ribs, butts, briskets I just sprinkle it on.  no rhythm or reason just sprinkle.  how do ya'll do it?  do you measure?  weight you rub?  on one hand i'm thinking, it's just bbq food in the backyard.  but as usual I was wrong according to my wife.   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

Re: how do you know how much rub to but on?
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:02:33 AM »
Are we ever right according to the wife  8) ??? ;D :P

In general, I use enough to cover until the meat itself is not visible.  However, it depends on how much hot chile dust I use.  However, I have only used homemade rubs

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:32:53 AM »
For BBQ, I go until I can just barely see the meat through the rub.  For steaks, burgers or other cuts (normally salt/pepper/garlic/onion), it depends on the cooking method.  For roasting or grilling, it is more of a sprinkle.  For cast iron or other methods where the meat is in full contact with the cooking surface, I will go a bit heavier.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:37 AM »
I usually use enough to cover the meat, like PZ depends on how much hot stuff is there. I usually make my steak with cajun seasoning and still layer it pretty heavy. Or I make a marinade for it. How long do you let it rest before you throw on the grill? That can enhance flavor also. Just like all my "BBQ" cooking, I will let the rub or seasoning on the meat until it starts turning brown, this means that the juices from the meat are starting to soak into the rub and the rub like wise is starting to adsorb into the meat.

Dan
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 07:20:28 AM »
Like you Sparky I just sprinkle on. I try to cover the entire surface of the meat.

Letting the meat rest for a bit allows the rub to penetrate into the surface of the meat.

And as far as with your filet if you seasoned it and then immediately cooked it then there might not have been enough time for the rub to get flavor penetration into the surface. And much of that rub may have come off the steak as you flipped it while grilling.

Also maybe your wife was missing that charcoal flavor she normally gets from the kettle ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:24:14 AM »
This is a good question and I don't  have an answer any gooder than the ones above; however, it brings to mind something I read awhile back on seasoning steaks.  It most likely was on here. The point was to salt the steaks for at least 45 minutes, and it could be longer, in order for the salt to pull the moisture out of the steak and mix and then go back into the steak to help with the moisture.

There was an interesting article posted here about some myths as far as cooking steaks go.   I wish someone skiller than I am could repost it to help folks who weren't around then.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 07:52:33 AM »
I think Muebe hit on the answer Sparky. Season and let it rest for awhile in the fridge. When you are ready to grill bring to room temp. have a FT and throw those steaks on brother.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
Like you Kimmie thinks I'm wrong 99% of the time and that meat should be burnt before you can eat it.

So knowing this I rub meat til it's covered like the rest here said and cook it my way.

I mean if I'm wrong I 'm wrong but she does not turn the food down when ready  ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
I'm never right either so I have taken to applying the rub when my wife is not around. It's been a lot quieter since, lol
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:46:21 AM »
I constantly struggle with this issue.  For me it has been trial and error.  On steaks I just season one side and let it sit for as long as possible 'cause my final sear over the PG-500 flame will, I think, burn off any seasoning.  I'm considering only searing the non-seasoned side and plating that side up.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »
I think for me it is salt content.  Some have to much salt so I don't put on as much.  if less salt you can cover it more. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »
on one hand i'm thinking, it's just bbq food in the backyard.  but as usual I was wrong according to my wife.   ::)

If a man speaks, far out at sea where no woman can hear him, is he STILL wrong?

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »
I think for me it is salt content.  Some have to much salt so I don't put on as much.  if less salt you can cover it more.

That is kind of how I think about it....and - personal tastes. Some like more salt...some less. You can always add more salt - but you can't take it out!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »
My general ROT is enough to cover the protein...
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:45:46 PM »
My wife usually prepares the steaks for dinner. The first thing that she does is pull out the worcestershire sauce and soaks the steak. Then she gets out this spice called "Canadian Steak" spice and covers it. Then she grabs the minced garlic and covers the steak with that. That's how the steaks get cooked after they have been sitting in this for a couple of hours.

Me, just put on salt and pepper and throw it on the grill. But, she is the commander in chief so that's what we do.

Ed
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:55:36 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.