Author Topic: Lost my best friend this morning  (Read 2816 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Lost my best friend this morning
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
This may be stupid, crazy or delusional but I was trying to catch a nap on the couch and I opened my eyes and saw a vision of Abby at the end of the couch watching over me as she always did.

Tells me she's still with us... protecting us in spirit at least.

May she R.I.P.

Of course she is. And she will always be in your heart. After 25 years Damian is still with me.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Northshore

Lost my best friend this morning
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 09:58:53 PM »
Hang in there chef...we understand!
Amen
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:45 AM »
I'm very sorry for your loss. I know how bad that hurts.

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »
You are definitely are not crazy. Those delusional visions are way normal. I have those almost every time I lose one of my best friends myself. I tell myself it is just a way to visit with them again so they can tell me that they are really OK.

I have lost two in the last 18 months. It never gets easier. Benson, my avatar, passed away about a year ago. I rescued Dusty last Fall, but unfortunately he went to Rainbow Bridge in June.

Dusty

We were lucky to have Dusty become a part of our lives last September. After a stint with his foster family, we adopted Dusty for his happy face and loving nature. He was such a big lovable lug that fit into our pack so easily. We were hoping to have him for a while to make his retirement years his best ever.

Sadly we found a tumor behind his shoulder blades within his first month with us. It took a couple of blood transfusions and emergency surgery late on a Saturday night, but he survived that in October. He started chemotherapy in January, and had just finished his 6th treatment. This sweet boy never complained about all the scary trips to the vet or the hours enduring chemotherapy. He went through all this very well and remained very active. He even swam and frolicked at the dog beach up to the end.

Dusty went to Rainbow Bridge on June 28, 2013. He had an incredible heart and made everyone who met him smile.

Dusty, you will forever be in our hearts. We had you in our lives way too short of a time.

Mike and Janice

Dusty

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline hikerman

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 07:31:44 AM »
Mike and Janice, so sorry for your loss of Dusty. You are right....it never gets easier. The bond of love is what makes it difficult when we lose them, but that same thing is what makes them special. Everything has a purpose.

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »
Some folks hurt so much they never want to go through that again. As you can see, I am a sucker for an old white face Golden.

For me, they make my life so much better with them in my life, that I will put up with the hurt when they go. Still, it takes months and months to recover. I know bbqchef is hurting.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »
I can't describe how I feel... I lost my younger sister a couple of months ago and it didn't hurt as much as losing Abby

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
Chef I completely understand and felt/ feel the same in a guilty sort of way. But it is what it is. What held us together when Gizmo died was the fact we rescued him from a shelter and always treated him as a member of our family. When illness came, we did the best as was possible for him. He knew and we knew our lives and his were better because of each other. And I'm sure your situation was the same.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
Waiting to join her at Rainbow Bridge
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »
Chef, how about we all meet up there and take the pooches for a good long walk!

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
Chef, how about we all meet up there and take the pooches for a good long walk!
I'd like that...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me!!
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi

Offline hikerman

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2013, 07:48:48 PM »
Good!  David, and Chef, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys and our pooches on Rainbow Bridge. I'm hoping it will be quite a while yet, tho!   

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2013, 08:47:24 PM »
Good!  David, and Chef, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you guys and our pooches on Rainbow Bridge. I'm hoping it will be quite a while yet, tho!
Me too. But when the time comes, I'll be watching for you. Cheers!
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:30 PM »
Me too. But when the time comes, I'll be watching for you. Cheers!

We'll be there...

[attachment deleted by admin]