Author Topic: Kind of sad...  (Read 4211 times)

Offline pz

Kind of sad...
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:43:07 AM »
to see...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:11:01 PM by pz »

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Kind of sad...
« on: September 28, 2013, 03:05:31 AM »
Well said PZ, I agree!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:42:23 AM »
Can't argue with that pz.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:41:57 AM »
I have been a member of another forum for 9 months where I participated, posted pictures, ect.  In May I mentioned I was getting married and not one response.  I had been a member of this forum for a month or so when I mentioned the same thing and I received 26 congratulatory responses.

Anyway I echo what PZ said....Mo
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Sam3

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:05:27 AM »
Well put pz.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »
Agree wholeheartedly on this topic.  I also belong to several forums and by far this is the most helpful,
knowledgeable and user friendly board I have seen. What I really like about this it not "brand" specific no
one will tell you that you should be using brand --------, you can fill in the blanks.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »
High In Smoke hit the nail on the head for me!

My experience at other forums is that you can only post cooks or information on products that they allow.

I left one forum because my post was edited for using a "Rub" from a company that the site owner and admin did not like. But then I was admonished through private message in a way that was very unpleasant. I was treated like a 5 year old. And by what the admin said I could tell he read a PM from another member that was sent to me. That is what triggered him to delete parts of my thread. Because of a "rub" I used in my cook. A post that was there for a week all the sudden is edited right after I get a PM from another member asking me where to purchase that rub. Coincidence... I don't think so!

Then I left another forum because of what the owner stated about a current member and good friend here. He posted some nasty stuff when this person started cooking with a cooker the guy did not like. He did delete what he posted after about 15 minutes so I am not sure how many members actually read it but it was really tasteless and unprofessional. Obviously not the way the owner of a site acts at all. So I stopped posting there. I felt bad because there are so many great members there. Some have made their way hear and I am glad to see that. Same with the other forum.

With LTBBQ I don't have to sit there and think before I post a cook. Did I use a cooker that is not allowed to be used? Did I use a rub that I cannot talk about?

I am now cooking with Sous Vide and loving it. I always wondered about it but because of members like Rummm who posted about it I took interest. So unless I joined up on an exclusive Sous Vide forum I would not have discovered this fantastic way of cooking. And now pz tricked inspired me into buying a wood fired pizza oven because of all the great pies I have seen posted here ;)

We are all passionate about cooking. Anyone who would dedicate their time posting on a forum like this has to be. And by not excluding people by what cookers they use it creates a more welcoming environment IMHO. This in turn allows people who normally would just lurk to join in on the fun. It also opens everyone up to learn about other forms of cooking besides just standard BBQ.

pz makes a great point. If you were to be invited to a party where you did not know anyone and spent the time to introduce yourself and no one said "hi" and just ignored you... well you might leave. That initial introduction and welcome response sets a precedence for a new member. And I make an effort to say hello to every new member. Even just a simple welcome response shows that people here pay attention and care.

I think the key to this forum is we started with a great base of members. All with great attitudes and looking for a forum that did not limit our cooking on any level. As with any structure no matter how big it gets it is only as strong as it's base and ours is rock solid IMHO.

And also that the administration is open to new ideas and input. I can't speak for everyone here but I feel like more than just a member here but actually part of the forum. Different than other forums. More like a shareholder in a company. Invested in a way. I want to see it grow. But not too fast where it just becomes like other forums.

Well I will step down off my soap box now 8)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »
I was on another forum where I had posted about a pricing mistake on charcoal that was in my favor. I received many threatening PM's and posts from fellow members. It sure is easy to hide behind an avatar...........

As a Moderator around here I will not put up with anything that is threatening or confrontational..heck sometimes I gotta eat crow and make good.

LTBBQ is like an old flannel shirt...you look forward to wearing it and it just gets more comfortable  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
O.K. - I only have 1 coffee in me...and 2-3 hours of sleep - but - THANK YOU for your thoughts and positive input and and feelings. LTBBQ is the one thing that I may own from a legal standpoint - but truly believe that it does NOT belong to me....it belongs to all of us. It is a community effort  - everyday- to  keep LTBBQ moving in the direction that the membership wishes.

It is not typically a difficult thing to do - because you folks are "neighborly". That may be the best way to describe LTBBQ...not just a forum - but acommunity.

We will be sending more pics from the FG shortly....

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
Well articulated posts, all of you.

I'm generally time limited so I quit reading the new member introductions.  I see now that it was a mistake.

Mo, congratulations.  I missed your announcement, too.

I usually quickly scan the list of recent posts.  The problem with that is that this site gets so many posts that an important one scrolls away before I see it.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 01:33:52 PM »
it's mellow here.  no one cares what cooking equipment your using or what rub your using.  I love seeing everyone cooking on all kinds of different bbq's.  old dave's coob cooker, everyone's ceramics, all the different pellet cooker out there.  it is really cool a lot of ppl are coming back to weber kettles.  it is a lot of fun here.  I've known a lot of the members for along time and meet new friends who are special to me too.  their friends.  good friends.  you can't say that about a lot of other forums.  and, no one cares how many ribs I cook here.   ;) 

and our leader has some super sexy legs.  that counts for a lot in my book.   :D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:35:37 PM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 03:18:20 PM »
Good posts from everyone. It is like a community here. Everybody's doing their own thing here , but if someone is interested or has a question, the response is NEVER "that's a secret" or "private info". The response is ALWAYS helpful, and kind. This place is very sharing and caring, and I tell you it's contagious!  I'm stealing this line but it is very fitting to all here, "Thanks to you, it's working for ALL of us."    Tee, thanks for making this a great place to commiserate, amongst other things!  8)

Offline Pappymn

Kind of sad...
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
I love everybody here......some more then others ???

Thanks to all of you for being awesome and smart...I have learned a ton. Just a great collection of characters here.

Tee, let me know when I can stop sending the monthly membership check ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »

Thanks to all of you for being awesome and smart...I have learned a ton. Just a great collection of characters here.

Pappy did he get you too?    :o

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »

No membership fee for me! I threatened to release some "not so appropriate" pictures of Tee's legs and he waived the fee ???

But now that those pictures are out I might have to pay :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven