Author Topic: Toffee  (Read 957 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Toffee
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
No outdoor cooking this weekend (I was bummed until we started getting that rarest of rare things in TX - a good down poor). Anyways, my wife is out of town for a few days, so I made the kids some toffee last night and set it up overnight. We just had the first few bites this afternoon. You have to love any food that pretty much is made up of sugar and butter w/chocolate.  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Toffee
« on: September 28, 2013, 04:33:25 PM »
That looks great. My kids would love it - so would I! Is it a pretty straight recipe or do you do some tweaks?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:41:06 PM »
Looks Great!! You gonna share your recipe :)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
Looks Great!! You gonna share your recipe :)

What he said!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Toffee
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
I love toffee. What kind of wood did you use? ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:31:32 PM »
Still waiting for the "you could cook that on a pellet pooper" comments.  :P

Pretty basic toffee recipe... There are plenty of more complex ones out there. I have tried a lot but this is my quick and easy go-to method.

1 1/6 Cups Sugar (regular old sugar will do just fine but I personally like to use superfine)
1 Cup Salted Butter (Land o' Lakes of course)
1/8 Cup plus 1 Tablespoon Water
1 Tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
3/4 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips (Ghirardelli is my personal preference)

Butter a 7X11 pan. Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter is melted.

Reduce to medium-low heat. Continue cooking, stirring regularly until 300 degrees or small amount of mix dropped into cold water forms hard brittle strands (I have to admit that measuring the temp of toffee is a PITA after about 250 especially with this small of a batch. I don't really use the thermometer or the water drop method. I can just tell from the color and thickness when it is done having cooked it so many times. It normally takes about 45 minutes of medium-low cooking. The coffee color and smell of toffee when it is done cooking are as unmistakable as probe tender brisket.

Pour into pan and spread to even thickness. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over mixture and let stand for about 3 minutes. Spread melted chocolate over mixture. If you want to sprinkle some nuts on, now is when you will want to do it. Let cool at room temperature for 3 hours then wrap pan with plastic. I like to let it sit at room temp for another few hours and then refrigerate, but you can refrigerate now if you need to. Refrigerating is important IMO to let the chocolate set up nicely and help the toffee harden a little bit more. After at least 6 hours in the refrigerator, break apart (I just jab it with a chef's knife). Store in an airtight container/zip-lock in a cool dry place or in the refrigerator (my preference living in TX).

*Tip* As predictable as a brisket stalling is your oil separating while cooking toffee. Don't freak out. Add a tablespoon of warm water and stir vigorously. If it hasn't recombined yet, add another and continue to stir vigorously until it does.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
Thanks so much for the recipe , I have never made toffee before and want to do it soon!!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
Yeah SB! That looks excellent! Heath Bars were one of my favorites growing up. I might have to hop on the scooter and go get a Heath Bar at the closest gas station after seeing this.   ::)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 09:50:21 PM »
Yeah SB! That looks excellent! Heath Bars were one of my favorites growing up. I might have to hop on the scooter and go get a Heath Bar at the closest gas station after seeing this.   ::)
me too  :)

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
Wow, that looks really good - would go great with a tawny port relaxing in bed just before nite-nite

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 02:07:21 AM »
damn, I am so liken you.  I love sweets.  toffee.  oh ya.  it looks real good.  1/2 gallon of milk and that plate will do for starters. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 02:13:49 PM »
Hey Chris!
NICE looking recipe ;)

Any chance you could C&P this into the dessert recipes section? That would be great - so that we can all find it later. Recipes in the General Discussion Section get lost quickly due to the sheer volume of posts ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 02:40:26 PM »
I will in a little bit.  I am about to walk out the door.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
me too  :)
Me three! Thank you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #