Author Topic: Catahoula Leopard Dog....  (Read 2787 times)

Offline hikerman

Catahoula Leopard Dog....
« Reply #-1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge or better yet experience with this breed of dog? We have decided that after the passing of our Gizmo, it is time to open our hearts and home to another rescue dog. There is a rescue for this breed not far from us, and from what we've read, it would suit our lifestyle, home, etc. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Catahoula Leopard Dog....
« on: September 28, 2013, 07:23:37 PM »
I don't, Gene. But, those markings are very distinctive and attractive. Good for you.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
David, that's not the actual dog, but rather a pic of the breed. Thanks tho. We still want a rescue pup, we all need a boost in life.

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:39:07 PM »
Never heard of them.  I read that they are used to hunt wild boar.  Even in a pack that must be one courageous dog.  I'd say you're safe from prowlers if it's loyal. 
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »
No experience with that breed but sure is a good looking dog. Good luck on your pursuit for a new friend :)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »
David, that's not the actual dog, but rather a pic of the breed. Thanks tho. We still want a rescue pup, we all need a boost in life.

Gene, I agree and a dog is one of the best boosts out there! I like rescue dogs as well. Roscoe is a "mutt" but very loyal, and a great friend. Took me a long time, but glad I finally did it. I wish the best for you and your family with a new friend.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:26:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind remarks everyone! We are planning on retiring in the Arkansas Ozarks, hopefully in four more years. We kinda wanted the dog to be suitable for that change of climate. They are said to be very loyal and family oriented.  We'll see.

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 12:08:34 AM »
I've never heard of that particular breed.  I'm sure you'll develop a tight friendship.

Offline Susie-Que

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
Kinda late on this one but Catahoulas are very high energy and need lots of exercise.  Our dog trainer in Louisiana breeds them.

Just in case anybody is interested..http://www.abneycatahoulas.com

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
I like his eyes ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 06:16:01 PM »
I've known a few through their owners over the years and they are smart and loyal dogs and are great to have around.

Offline Susie-Que

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
How is it going with your new adoption?  Looks like a fun dog to have around.  Love the Avatar.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »
How is it going with your new adoption?  Looks like a fun dog to have around.  Love the Avatar.
Susie, we got Bella just before Thanksgiving, she's approx 2 yo. and she was a handful at first. Very intense but sweet at the same time. Smart as a whip and stubborn as a bull! We are in obedience classes now and it's paying off in spades. She is a ton of fun, always wanting to play or occupy a willing lap.
Good luck with your new pup!

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »
Good dogs from what we hear.   We were VERY close to adopting one set to be put down when someone else came in and got her.   They lived in the country and we felt that was best for this breed of dog.   Yes, they are VERY active and need LOTS of room to run--better if you have cattle for them to herd.   When we looked at her, she was "herding" the other dogs EVERYWHERE!

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
   There is a couple here that we see from time to time that has two dogs which look very much like the pic. I have seen them at several Mardi Gras parades and along the downtown sidewalks in Fairhope. Theirs are very well behaved around people.
 Good luck

Terry "Way down in Alabama"