Author Topic: How my Saturday went....  (Read 935 times)

Offline dawrecknq

How my Saturday went....
« Reply #-1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »
My first real competition went pretty well. It was a long day, as I got up at 4:40 am Friday Am and didn't see sleep again until 10:00 Sat night.
The comp had a few snafu's. Had one butthead, he was only there for the fun, wasn't competing....was all we heard from him. Then after we were all sharing samples of our cooks....he tried to get me DQ'd; as I over heard him telling another competitor that he was going to do because he knew he couldn't beat me. of course, he waited until turn in time to make a scene. See, the rules stated: No electric smokers. He told them that I was cooking on an electic smoker and he wanted me dq'd. His mistake was telling them this was straight from the KCBS website and that he had seen others using this kind of cooker kicked out of comp's. They came to me, asked how my smoker cooked and told them. I also told them to tell him that if he knew anything about KCBS, these cookers were legal. That at most KCBS events, maybe half the competitors would be cooking on this style. Rather it was a Yoder Smoker, Mak, ProCooker, Fast Eddy or others. I got to stay!

Story on the canopy is not good. We were supposed to have Tstorms so I didn't set it up. Radar showed the storms were moving opposite and we were in the clear. Set up the canopy and about 45 minutes later, straight line winds came done an alleyway. Hit my truck and trailer and then right into the center of the canopy. It is pretty much toasted. Luckily, the plastic connecters broke and all the supports are 100% good. Will contact the seller and see if I can get some.

Oh, how my cook went: the canopy got hit just as I was ready to put my Butt in. I was about an hour late and it didn't turn out as done as I would have liked, however I did get this:

My ribs turned out pretty good, I got this:

I talked to the judges after, I took last in brisket and asked what was wrong with it. The guy who was heading up the judging said that I had sliced it too thin to try to make it tender. Guess he watched too many episodes of "Pitmasters". He stated that the teams that won...sliced their brisket 1/2 to 3/4 in thick. I always thought and had been taught that pencil thick (maybe 1/4 was it). I also didn't put any sauce on it, electing instead to just let it sit in all the juices and then used that for sauce. He said that "ALL BBQ is sauced and that when I didn't use any, he told the other judges that it wasn't BBQ. The winning Brisket, was cut with the grain and was chewy. But, he'd sauced it and that is what won it.

In chicken, I used Andy Gronemans method of cooking chicken thighs, removed the skin to rub and inject, then put skin back on and trimming it to be purty. I also sliced some breast meat with skin on and then pulled some. He said that they were only looking at whole pieces of chicken the guy that won it (ironically the one that tried to get me dq'd) was the only one who did whole pieces and that is why he was chosen the winner. I said "I did too....did you not see the thighs"? He said that the other guy turned in complete pieces, the thigh and the leg. By only turning in 'thigh', I had not met his requirement of only complete pieces. I then asked if he was talking about turning in chicken quarters. He said, "No, we were just looking for whole pieces of chicken". That pretty much ended my conversation and explained alot to me about the inconsitency.

As we talked the converstation came up, he told me that they also took into consideration that I had cooked on an electric smoker. I thought it was supposed to be blind! We went over again the difference in an "electric smoker" and a pellet smoker. He said that he had been to alot of comp's and had never seen anyone cooking on a pellet smoker. I invited him to go to the Royal next week to find out for himself. For those who know KCBS and other comp rules, please correct me if I am wrong on this point. You are not allowed to put plastic cups of sauce any where in the box. If you do it is a complete disqualification. He said the other teams had included cups of several different sauces for them to "dip" their meat in. I told the judge that I was 100% sure that was not legal in KCBS or any other sanction body. He said, "You're allowed to sauce, they just gave us a choice". One went so far as to mark which sauce was his "hot" sauce. I tried to explain to him that you are allowed to sauce, but that has to be only on the meat or DQ. I told the group I was talking to that I was only there for fun, that my cook was against the judging and not the other teams. But, I would have appreciated having a fairer judging panel, one that knew more about the rules.

Before it sounds like I am upset or a sore loser. Not so, I had a great time, enjoyed some great cooks and made many new friends. One guy is going to come down to Haven (another little town not far from me) and help me cook at their Fall Festival the 11th and 12th. Looking forward to that one and will cook at the Frolic again next year. This time, I will know more about what to expect. The guy who sort of was in charge....he's the guy coming to cook with me; said that he is going to several KCBS cooks and learn more.I told he should take a judging class; he never knew there was such a thing and will try to go to one with me when I go. He said that the problems this year WILL NOT BE REPEATED and asked me if I would come talk with their commitee and give them advice. I told him I would and that I would try to get some real KCBS teams to come talk to them also. Again, it was a great comp and I had a blast for my first comp.

Think I might have got a bug or something!!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:31:03 PM by dawrecknq »
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: How my Saturday went....
« on: September 29, 2013, 07:25:29 PM »
Sounds like a bit of a tough weekend. I am very sorry for the challenges and especially for the canopy - that was so cool! I hope you can get it re-built and ready for the next competition. But, congratulations for your award - for a first comp, that is fantastic. I can't even imagine the amount of prep and work that went into this. Good for you! Congratulations! I look forward to reading about many more of your competitions.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »
Good for you keeping a positive outlook on things.  Your comments on brisket (sauced and cut wrong) are exactly the reason I will NEVER compete.  Glad you didn't' let that ass hat get to you, btw.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »
SB- The competing part was the fun. Granted, I turned in the wrong thing for these judges, but that is why you play the game. I turned in what I thought was winning "Q" and would turn it in that way every time. I don't look at my competing as being against other teams, but against the judges. The next cook, I am doing the same thing. I know from feedback with sharing with the masses (what was I going to do throw it away), that it was extremely positive feedback. So I am "HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY"!

Doc- the canopy will be redone, repaired, replaced...whatever it takes. I did fly the 3 Pink Ribbon flags and got some great comments.
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:51:53 PM »
Congratulations on the pork and ribs.
For the record you are correct on the pellet grills; the sauce containers in the box, and the thickness of the brisket. Regardless if they felt they were too thin, they should have judged on taste and tenderness, as well as appearance.

From the rules:
6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced
draft are permitted.
No open pits or holes are permitted,
except at the election of the contest organizer. Fires shall not
be built on the ground.

13) Sauce is optional. If used, it shall be applied directly to
the meat and not be pooled or puddled in the container. No
side sauce containers will be permitted in the turn-in container.

16) Each contestant must submit at least six (6) portions
of meat in an approved container. Chicken, pork and
brisket may be submitted chopped, pulled, sliced, or diced
as the cook sees fit,
as long as there is enough for six (6)
judges.

I would suggest to the guy that he look at getting the competition KCBS certified. Or al least talk to them to see if they will let him post for judges.

Sorry about the tent - it was very thoughtful idea. If you want to still proceed with it, I for one am willing to contribute. Let me know.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
Congratulations on the achievements you won, that is Awesome. There always has to be a bad apple in the box and sounds like he found you this weekend. Glad you learned a lot and had a good time.

Offline BAM1

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »
I compete and judge in KCBS comps and that didn't even sound like a halfway decent KCBS clone.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »
Gus- Thanks for the rules. I appreciate your taking the time to post that. I was going to hit KCBS website and forward the Todd, for his information. He was a great host and was doing everything possible to make his cook off a success and keep teams wanting to come back. He accomplished that goal.

Key- Thanks!

Bam- It's not, just a small town of about 4500 having a town birthday celebration. It's a committee about about 6 people putting it on. I hope to get Todd to some of our SCKBBQ meetings so he can ask questions of other comp promoters and learn. He's dedicated to making it better all the time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:25:02 PM by dawrecknq »

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 08:31:46 PM »
A very big congratulations from up here ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
Congratulations on your awards!  Way to go keeping it together in spite of the &ss hat and some not-so-good judges.

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 12:16:31 AM »
Hearty congratulations!  :)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 07:25:14 AM »
Sorry to hear about the canopy  :'(

And well it sounds like this competition has been going this direction for more than a year. Hopefully they can learn from you so it can be fair next year.

Congrats on the ribs and shoulder ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven