Author Topic: Taptalk won't post to forum  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Cinredman

Taptalk won't post to forum
« Reply #-1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:13:24 AM »
I still can't successfully post via taptalk. Read  there is an issue for those running iOS 7 and the plugin on the forum must be updated. Anyone else having similar issue?
Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Taptalk won't post to forum
« on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »
I am going to guess that it is a Tap-A-Talk issue, and thus - we can't do anything to help...but, I am not the Tap-A-Talk expert...In fact, I tried using Tap-A-Talk, and found it to be just an additional layer of software that I did not see the benefit in using, as we designed LTBBQ to be "mobile device friendly". I do realize that there are a couple of things that the "promise" of Tap-A-Talk offers it's users...but I think we can all agree that it is not always worth the frustration ;D. I deleted it from my phone and iPad, and - I no longer have any issues. ;)

We are not "anti Tap-A-Talk" - but we can't always make the forum software fully compatible with 3rd party applications. We just don't have the tools to do that. And because the software for forums and Tap-A-Talk are owned and run by different companies - they do not always communicate as they should with fixes/patches. Now - throw into that mix, all of the different phone and tablet manufacturers which EACH have their own firmware tweaks which customize the operating systems on their devices - and you get an opportunity for a great train wreck :

George Ferguson (- our Admin/IT person ) tells me that there are 27 pages of issues/discussion on the support forum for our LTBBQ forum software.
I can assure you - that unless, and until iOS7 and Tap-A-Talk get their act together - we will not be installing the patches and updates. Why? Because it would be un-fair to ALL members if we cripple an otherwise stable platform - for the sake of a third party software. ;)

So - I tend to believe - rather strongly - that direct access to any website - without the complications - tho promised convenience - of a 3rd party software - is better than the risk of additional lock ups, crashes, and.....tracking of your data/preferences/activity....

Having said all of the above - I will ask George to see if there is anything we can do be sure LTBBQ is as compatible as is reasonable - based on the preserving the health/stability of the LTBBQ forum with the current Tap-A-Talk software version.

Never hesitate to contact me with any concerns, or suggestions - I promise you I will do all I can to make your forum use experience the best possible.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:46:57 AM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »

I still can't successfully post via taptalk. Read  there is an issue for those running iOS 7 and the plugin on the forum must be updated. Anyone else having similar issue?
I have not updated to IOS 7 because I've read many posts and comments on the tapatalk forum about this problem.

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
One of the advantages to being a luddite... Windows 3.1 still works for me... ;) ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:25:46 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »
I have long been frustrated with the lack of accountability among makers of software. They are fantastic marketers - but often - YOU and I are their beta testers, and have to deal with the frustrations of the crap they sell us as "new and improved"

The truths that I ascribe to in this regard are:

1. DON'T be a lemming....wait. Let the masses be the guinea pigs ( or lemmings if you prefer ;D)

2.If it ain't broke...WHY do you want to fix it?

3. Are the promised advantages - which seldom live up to their promise - worth the hassle/headache?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
I have long been frustrated with the lack of accountability among makers of software. They are fantastic marketers - but often - YOU and I are their beta testers, and have to deal with the frustrations of the crap they sell us as "new and improved"

The truths that I ascribe to in this regard are:

1. DON'T be a lemming....wait. Let the masses be the guinea pigs ( or lemmings if you prefer ;D)

2.If it ain't broke...WHY do you want to fix it?

3. Are the promised advantages - which seldom live up to their promise - worth the hassle/headache?

T - I completely agree with you. Unfortunately, the software folks have gotten nasty in the past few years. I use a number of products to work with other designers, audio and video producers, and CD / DVD producers. It used to be I could wait a while to be sure the new software was stable and actually had additional value. Now they are making the new software files incompatible with the last version. So, to work with my clients when they upgrade, I am forced to upgrade. Not only is this expensive (Adobe Creative Suite over $2500) but means I have to maintain at least two versions to stay compatible. But, this introduces a whole new set of compatibility issues. So, I end up maintaining at least two different computers.

I "get" the business model - but I really resent it!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
Sounds like that business model may have a cousin in the new healthcare law..."forced attrition".... ;D

I do realize that it is not in my best interest to expect any behavior based on ethics from software companies. It is not my naivety, rather my pig-headed nature that says manufacturers tend to deliver only 70-80% of our expectation in a product. Therefore - expect more, and maybe they will feel the heat to improve more ;) :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
Hey all, I sure didn't wish to start a "rant"; just reporting that the app didn't work for me under iOS 7.0

FWIW - On reason I was trying TT was to take advantage of photo resize on the fly when selecting from my photo stream. If there is a better way to accomplish this task without having to create a photo bucket account, I sure would appreciate a link to the "how to"

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »
Ooops - hit a hot button, Cinredman!  ::) ::) ;D ;D Sorry for the rant...  ;) ;D
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:14:44 PM »
I was not "ranting", and really don't appreciate that inference. We must be able to have amiable - but honest discussion for LTBBQ to work as intended.
Operating LTBBQ has given me a different perspective than I used to have as a forum user only. Not superior - just a different angle of view But I think that we all get caught up in software snafus that can frustrate us from time to time.
I think that there may be alternatives to Tap-A-Talk which will allow you to have similar conveniences, if you are o.k. with looking at a different provider of such software.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:17:37 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:41:30 PM »
Uh-oh.. I just updated to the new IOS... seems to be working fine so far.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »
I was not "ranting", and really don't appreciate that inference. We must be able to have amiable - but honest discussion for LTBBQ to work as intended.
sorry  ???
Well, crap. Let me try again.
1. Upon first access via safari in my iPad, I received a prompt asking if I would like to leverage Taptalk. Therefore, I assumed (my mistake) taptalk was the preferred application.
2. I mention of "rant" was intended to prevent a bunch of anti-this and anti-that postings and stick with the facts
3. I have zero preference for taptalk. Again, only tried it as the site prompted on my iOS devices

So, I'm more than happy to assist with testing alternative solutions along with any other testing you might need from the user community.

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »
Cinredman, from my perspective, this just hit a nerve because of some stuff I am dealing with. I am sorry if it seemed over the top (I was angry... lol...) As you've seen, a software vendor puts something new out - it doesn't work with some thing else. With all the stuff out there, this is a sure thing! We'd like the vendors to check all their stuff with everything. It's not going to happen. On the other hand, we have to be realistic - it's NOT going to work with everything. There are too many options out there. So, instead of being angry, we have to be clever. We have to find the stuff that works for what we want it to do with the stuff we have. We might not be able to take advantage of the newest / coolest stuff. That's life. As much as I would like the developers to test 5M variations - it is not realistic. In this world, I am coming to realize it is up to us. For me, this means being very careful of what apps I add and how and when I update. Sometimes, I am NOT cool. That's ok, because for what I need to work, I have what works.

To T's point - yes, there are software companies that are bent on marketing for the sake of updates. This is very annoying. I try to find alternatives to these companies. I look for solid useful apps that enhance my productivity. I tend to avoid a lot of the social media stuff for that reason. If I can communicate with what I have, I don't look for more. I don't need the latest gizmo if I can reach the folks I want to reach with what I have. This helps me avoid the complications and problems. Just my point of view.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 03:29:47 PM by drholly »
Member #

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
Tapatalk did not work for me after my IOS 7 update. Would not let me reply to posts. But I could create new threads ???

Bit the bullet and paid $4.99 for Tapatalk HD for iPad the other day.......it is still working.

I hate Tapatalk.....but they really seem to be the only game in town
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »
sorry  ???
Well, crap. Let me try again.
1. Upon first access via safari in my iPad, I received a prompt asking if I would like to leverage Taptalk. Therefore, I assumed (my mistake) taptalk was the preferred application.
2. I mention of "rant" was intended to prevent a bunch of anti-this and anti-that postings and stick with the facts
3. I have zero preference for taptalk. Again, only tried it as the site prompted on my iOS devices

So, I'm more than happy to assist with testing alternative solutions along with any other testing you might need from the user community.

No harm, no foul. ;D I know a number of members are searching for solutions that make posting pics from mobile/handheld devices simpler.
If you can find an alternate app that can help yourself and others here - you will be the hero, and likely be subjected to being showered with ribs, BBQ, chicken, and brisket... :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401