Author Topic: Finally, a solid replacement for Old Grilly.  (Read 1491 times)

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
Finally, a solid replacement for Old Grilly.
« Reply #-1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I know, I know, it's been way too long.  I miss you guys, but outdoor cooking hasn't played all that much of a role in my life in the last 2+ years.  This year has brought me a new fad to play with!  Restoring vintage loudspeakers I find tossed to the curb.  You heard that right, tossed out.  In any case, that's what I've been up to.  So, there's that. 

And, here's this!  Some of you may remember my post from this last February when I had to retire a longtime friend, Old Grilly.

It wasn't too long after that when I was asked by a friend to help her and her husband purchase a new charcoal grill.  Their old weber needed to be sent to the recycle yard, had past its prime.  I showed up to find a stunningly spiffy weber that just needed the air vent cleaner blades replaced.  They were on the hunt for a new grill, so I dragged off the old weber and got it back up to snuff.

After some laying-on-of-hands at a local hardware super mega store, they'd purchased a Charbroil 940x.  And as you can probably guess, this was under my direction.  It's actually my dream grill and had one just like for umpteen years and wore out probably 10 years ago.  This one grill had been marked down numerous times and on a No Sales Tax Weekend, they paid a measly 200 bux for it.

So, they got the most awesome new grill of all time and I got a fancy weber for free!

I was not happy.  It certainly wasn't Old Grilly and I was threatening to sell it as soon as I could get off my lazy behind.  It just wasn't what I was used to cooking over, I'm not a Weber Guy.  Nothing was wrong with it, just not my trip.  Ya know?  Well, I'm still unemployed and selling that to buy a new one just wasn't and isn't in my best interest at the moment.  So, I've been grilling with it ever since.  Not a happy Biggles.

Well now, early last week I was at the local neighborhood hardware store and ran in to the couple who I'd got the Weber from.  We exchanged small talk and it was actually good to see each other, catch up a bit.  Her husband gave her a nudge and pushed her a bit.  She lowered her head, shuffled her feat and let it spill that the Charbroil 940x was nice and all, but she just wasn't happy with it.  It was a great grill, but just not what she was used to.  Plus it was just too darned large for the two of them.  She asked me nicely if she could have her old grill back and in exchange I could have the new one.

HAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAH, sheeyit yeah!  Their eyes lit up, they get their baby back.  It was a wedding present from a family member and their life just hasn't been the same without it.  And since I had repaired it, scrubbed it clean, she was ready for anything!

At 7:30 this morning I was out in the back yard stripping down, cleaning, scrubbing and getting all nice once again their weber grill.  I'd used the pizazz out of the sucker, worked it hard.  But after all was scrubbed, she was gleaming once again.  I packed it up in my little truck and waited for her to respond to my email.  I was at her door today by 1:03pm.  The weber plopped right out without a hitch.  But that darned Charbroil is a cast iron BEAST to say the least.  Hooboy!  It took up nearly all of the bed in my Tacoma, tucked under the shell.

After all of today's shenanigans, I got him/her home and grilled me two burgers.  Heaven on earth!  I can hardly wait to use seasoned wood as fuel again, I dearly miss that part.  REAL WOOD, there is no substitute.

It was a grand day out.

xo, Biggles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Finally, a solid replacement for Old Grilly.
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:29:18 PM »
Hey Dr. B!

It is so good to see you back here again. I'm sorry for the elongated time of rest - I wish you the very best. I've been enjoying the  speaker thread you turned me on to. I'm glad to see you found a 940 to call your own - it is a classic and just right for you. Kinda' like my Klipsch. I hope to see you around some more - always enjoy your posts.

Cheers,

D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
Hey Dr. B!

It is so good to see you back here again. I'm sorry for the elongated time of rest - I wish you the very best. I've been enjoying the  speaker thread you turned me on to. I'm glad to see you found a 940 to call your own - it is a classic and just right for you. Kinda' like my Klipsch. I hope to see you around some more - always enjoy your posts.

Cheers,
D

I can hardly wait to start buying wood again, all the flavors!

Hooboy, you should see the speakers I tossed in the back of my truck a little over a month ago.  On the home stretch getting them back in to shape!

Biggles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:02:36 PM »
Send pics! Good to see you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:56:02 AM »
Looks like you are all set to get back in the saddle.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:15 AM »
A classic Texas style charcoal pit. The CB940X is one of the best grill/smokers around. I did two full packer briskets in mine a while back.  Great Score  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »
Good to hear from ya Dr.B!

Glad to see you finally got your dream grill again ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sam3

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:24:00 AM »
Nice to hear from you Dr. B. Nice to see you found a good replacement!
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:38 AM »

Good morning!

Thank you all and for the first time in months, maybe even a year, I'm dreaming of meat.  I have to admit though, I may be even more excited about seasoned wood.  Or, maybe it's 50/50.

xo, Biggles

Offline Pappymn

Finally, a solid replacement for Old Grilly.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Looks excellent. Now get to cookin
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:40:24 AM »
Hey, Biggles...glad to see you again.  You were such a regular donor for so long, I've missed your posts.

Now you're talkin' again right up my alley with real wood cookin'.  I look forward to seein' what you "bring to the table".  With your experience and your old favorite grill, I know you'll do well.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »

Yeah!  Shaddap Biggles, get to cookin'!  Yeah.  Hmm, something porky, something beefy, or something inexpensive?  Am going to go with the latter.  I'll be heading out later this morning, will see what kind of deals I can find.  Oh boy!

xo, Biggles