Author Topic: open pit barbeque  (Read 798 times)

Offline CaptJack

open pit barbeque
« Reply #-1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:54:26 PM »
King of the OldSmokey

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: open pit barbeque
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »
That is definitely old school. 
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline RAD

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:04:52 PM »
Great Video Jack
Love to cook and eat

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »
That was way cool Capt. Jack! Thanks for passing it on.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:14:17 PM »
Yes very cool!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:16 PM »

I wish we could do that at our place!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 07:39:34 PM »
Some of the old BBQ joints in the Low Country of South Carolina still cook this way. Really neat to see it.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:48:25 PM »
That was a bunch of grub they cooked up.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:52:27 PM »
We have a family reunion the first weekend of July and my baby sister's husband cooks a whole hog like this.  He has been cookin' like this for 30 years or more and cooks about 8 hogs a year for different family and fiends events.
He built a pit out behind his country home...has it under a tin roof with a few lights out there for his overnighters.
He has 3 sons - 2 are married - who he is passing this tradition down to.  They help him with every cook.
He uses a 55 gallon drum with a big hole in the side at the bottom for burning his wood down to coals.  Of course they feed it from the top and shovel from the bottom, spreading the coals under the hog in "just the right amount".  He also keeps a long slender branch close by so he can "spank" the coals when they get too much ash buildup.

Needless to say, he is very good at it after all these years.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:37:09 PM by Jaxon »
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:27:46 PM »
I have only seen a variation of this once when I was in Groton, CT., believe it or not on a beach in that area where I was invited. They dug a huge hole in the sand and began burning logs of wood and charcoal until they were pretty well burned down. Then they covered the whole thing with sea weed and put on a couple of bushels of corn, potatoes, more seaweed and about 100 lobsters and a couple bushels of clams. Covered all of that with seaweed again and uncovered everything in a couple or three hours. Pretty tasty stuff naturally salted by the ocean and the seaweed. The kegs of beer provided a nice finishing touch. Similar concept. Good food.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 10:49:31 PM »
I'd love to do primitive cooking like that, but it appears to be more suited to large volumes, so I've never been able to justify it to myself.  Funny thing is that I have the concrete blocks and metal raw materials already in some of mu junk piles on the property.

I have only seen a variation of this once when I was in Groton, CT., believe it or not on a beach in that area where I was invited. They dug a huge hole in the sand and began burning logs of wood and charcoal until they were pretty well burned down. Then they covered the whole thing with sea weed and put on a couple of bushels of corn, potatoes, more seaweed and about 100 lobsters and a couple bushels of clams. Covered all of that with seaweed again and uncovered everything in a couple or three hours. Pretty tasty stuff naturally salted by the ocean and the seaweed. The kegs of beer provided a nice finishing touch. Similar concept. Good food.

Ed

That reminds me of our wedding where my wife found Hawaiian caterers that claimed they could do kalua pig (cooking pig in the hole).  I heard that they dug the hole, built a fire and let it go to coals, then piled in banana leaves, the pig, covered, and then buried with the dirt.

Although I was too busy to take pictures (imagine that), a friend who was the photographer was not really in to food, so these are the only shots we have of the process.  However, I ate the pork and it was among the most tender I have ever had.  I wish I had better pics

Very friendly chaps

The unveiling

You can see a bit of the pig here - I did not see it, but the story goes that it was so tender the head fell off during transportation to the table

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 10:06:39 AM »
Great video and thanks for sharing.

several years ago, I worked with a guy who helped host a fundraiser for a local civic organization that cooked chicken halves on pits like this. They had premade square pits of expanded metal and angle iron, each about 4' x 4' square, and they sat on four cinder blocks each, with just enough height to shovel coals underneath. They burned hardwood (oak & hickory, iirc) in two 55 gal. drums, and the coals fell to the bottom where a 2' x 12" hole was cut across the bottom. They took turns feeding wood, shoveling coals from the barrels underneath the chickens, and mopping with a vinegar based sauce. Not a ton of smoke flavor, but the chicken was absolutely melt in your mouth tender after 4-5 hrs.

I still want to construct some sort of primitive pit like this, but SWMBO is already unhappy with five grills & smokers on the patio, so I won't push it... yet.   ;)
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen