Author Topic: In Search of a Better Quick Biscuit  (Read 3653 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Re: In Search of a Better Quick Biscuit
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 08:05:54 AM »
Sawmill gravy sounds like veloute (one of the mother sauces) with some cracked pepper...

As noted above... sausage gravy without the sausage
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
Very interesting, so much to learn so little time.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Hub

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
Hand me two biscuits and a bowl of whatever you calling it.  Nicely done TH.  ;)

In Paris France it is a "sauce" and in Paris, Texas it is "gravy".  Semantics aside, emulsifed fats with thickening starches and, sometimes, other ingredients like meat and spices, are terrifically tasty and I'd take in swim in them any day  ::)

As to those biscuits (back to the origin of the thread) judging the dough by its viscosity (or gooeyness) is pretty common.  I like to use the Bisquick drop biscuit recipe but with a tad more moisture then turn the dough out on a board with some more flour and knead it around unti it is touchable without sticking.  This makes a really easy biscuit dough that you can cut into round or square bits for baking.  Much easier than cutting in cold lard and maybe a little bit healthier, too  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »
 Jimmy Dean sausage makes great gravy.  Never thought about adding the eggs to it but they would need to be scrambled first I would think. 
I've seen a lot of variations of the white gravy over the years. Kind of depended on what was available sometimes.  Even made it with deer meat a couple times.
 Sausage is best in my opinion.  We call it  biscuit gravy without sausage, and sausage gravy with.  Black pepper is a must!

What is not the same is "Red Eye". Red Eye is nothing like this white gravy.   Wikipedia is fairly correct on this one. The exception is that it must have thick sliced
bone in ham cooked in the pan first. That's what my dad always said anyway.  This was his favorite gravy, We either had this or a dark gravy at home. White gravy was what we had at the relatives when we went there.  Or at Aunt Virginia's we had tomato gravy.. That's mighty good too. 
  My dad would always get the red eye when we went on vacation to Tennessee. He said they had the best ham for it..     
 There was a little restaurant in Townsend Tn where we always managed to be around breakfast time at least once every year.   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »
Maybe I can do a video of how my friend showed me to make whipping cream biscuits.  2 Ingredients:  whipping cream & self-rising flour.  Mix these till you get a semi-dry dough.  I roll 'em out kinda thin, cut 'em out, and stack one on another before baking @ 400 till done.  They just peel apart waiting for the butter.
Simplest flaky biscuits I've had...and VERY GOOD when top with sawmill sausage gravy.

Redeye gravy is mighty good in grits (imho)
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 02:20:08 AM »
What is not the same is "Red Eye". Red Eye is nothing like this white gravy.   Wikipedia is fairly correct on this one. The exception is that it must have thick sliced bone in ham cooked in the pan first. That's what my dad always said anyway.

Yep, same here. I was always told it should be bone-in country ham, or at the very least country ham pieces. I love Red Eye gravy over rice.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 05:12:02 PM »
Good idea..   
Maybe I can do a video of how my friend showed me to make whipping cream biscuits.  2 Ingredients:  whipping cream & self-rising flour.  Mix these till you get a semi-dry dough.  I roll 'em out kinda thin, cut 'em out, and stack one on another before baking @ 400 till done.  They just peel apart waiting for the butter.
Simplest flaky biscuits I've had...and VERY GOOD when top with sawmill sausage gravy.

Redeye gravy is mighty good in grits (imho)
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
Yep, Red-Eye gravy is using ham drippings, Saw Meal gravy is sausage drippings, white gravy is a milk base gravy  Brown gravy is beef or pork based drippings and chicken gravy is well Chicken Gravy!  :D 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »
Yep, Red-Eye gravy is using ham drippings, Saw Meal gravy is sausage drippings, white gravy is a milk base gravy  Brown gravy is beef or pork based drippings and chicken gravy is well Chicken Gravy!  :D
Your SOOOO smart..Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 09:07:10 AM »
Something I do to baking mix biscuits is to use buttermilk instead of regular milk. However, when time/laziness are factors, like early on Saturday morning and I really don't want to go to the store or I haven't had enough coffee, here's an easy shortcut to getting buttermilk. Add 1 tsp. white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for five minutes before making biscuits with it.

Biscuits made with buttermilk seem to just be better - crispier crust and they rise better. I prefer light & fluffy biscuits to heavy ones. They seem to sop up butter & honey and gravy better.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 09:08:39 AM »
Something I do to baking mix biscuits is to use buttermilk instead of regular milk. However, when time/laziness are factors, like early on Saturday morning and I really don't want to go to the store or I haven't had enough coffee, here's an easy shortcut to getting buttermilk. Add 1 tsp. white vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for five minutes before making biscuits with it.

Biscuits made with buttermilk seem to just be better - crispier crust and they rise better. I prefer light & fluffy biscuits to heavy ones. They seem to sop up butter & honey and gravy better.
Exactly right.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »

That would make a great video. I sure would appreciate it if you did this. My curiosity for making a good flaky biscuit is on the rise especially with Thanksgiving coming up.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Pappymn

In Search of a Better Quick Biscuit
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 09:34:26 AM »

Lemon juice does work too.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 11:14:05 AM »
Jaxon, those whipping cream biscuits sound interesting. A video would be cool. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
Something I do to baking mix biscuits is to use buttermilk instead of regular milk.

YUM, I love buttermilk in biscuits & pancakes.

I can't have the stuff in the dairy section, so I keep powdered buttermilk on hand for such occasions.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68