Author Topic: Happy Columbus Day  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Pappymn

Happy Columbus Day
« Reply #-1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
I work for a bank and today is a holiday for us. So I took the long suffering out for breakfast. A small diner in St. Paul that I had not been to in a while.

My wife is not really a counter person, but she knows I love it. Sitting about 6 feet from the flap top, watching the cook work his magic. I always love to watch people cook.....especially breakfast. Two people working. A great waitress and a young guy cooking.

House cut hash browns, cooked perfectly. Perfectly cooked omelet with andouille sausage, mushrooms, and tomatoes. So Many omelets are over cooked and dry.....not this one. One of the best executed breakfasts I have ever had. And I saw it made right before my eyes.

Then we went to see the matinee of Captain Phillips. I'm going to need a couple of stiff drinks to calm down from that movie. It really is excellent.

Back to the grind tomorrow.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Happy Columbus Day
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »
Nothing like sitting at the counter and watching the cook. I am envious of their skills. There's a place on Central called Flame Burger - the flat top is right there. It's not a show, it's just good cooking.

Sounds like you and the missus had a great day. Good for you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:08:20 PM »
Happy Columbus Day to you too Pappy!  I had the day off as well.  It's a beauty of a day here 66F and full Sun. Being half Italian we are celebrating our Nat. Italian Holiday today. I'm going to start an Italian meal of sorts pretty quick. It's toooo nice not to grill some of the meal, so I will be outside manning the grill with a glass of Dago Red, while my dearest is inside with her vino. We get along much better this way...... ::)

Offline Pappymn

Happy Columbus Day
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »
Nothing like sitting at the counter and watching the cook. I am envious of their skills. There's a place on Central called Flame Burger - the flat top is right there. It's not a show, it's just good cooking.

Sounds like you and the missus had a great day. Good for you!

I spent high school at the Flameburger. I grew up in Columbia Heights. Many Friday and Saturday nights spent there after a few beers ;D

Great place. Need to get back there again. Talk about a slab of hash browns.
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »
No 3 day weekend for me, but glad y'all had a good time.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:33:55 PM »
Sounds like a great Breakfast :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:25:40 PM by Keymaster »

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »
i'm very happy you and the wife had a great day.  those are the best.  I spent the day on the roof but I got ribs on the mak right now.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »
Sounds like a good way to start the day Pappy!

I had to work today so for breakfast I had 3 cups of coffee :'(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 12:28:54 AM »
Dang, Pappy, what you experienced is what I live for - personally I'd much rather do a diner where you can get perfectly cooked comfort food while watching the cook work their magic than eating in a 5-star restaurant where they force you to dress a certain way (my wife has to drag me to those)

Offline Pappymn

Happy Columbus Day
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
Dang, Pappy, what you experienced is what I live for - personally I'd much rather do a diner where you can get perfectly cooked comfort food while watching the cook work their magic than eating in a 5-star restaurant where they force you to dress a certain way (my wife has to drag me to those)

Ditto buddy. I figure if I'm paying the bill. How I dress is up to me. Hate stuffy overpriced restaurants. You leave broke and sometimes hungry. ???
Pappy

Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

PoppyBill

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »
I'll take the Diner any day. Great day off Pappy.