Author Topic: This will be the final cook off that I do this year....What a way to end it!  (Read 733 times)

Offline dawrecknq

This will be the final cook off that I do this year....What a way to end it!
« Reply #-1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:34:11 PM »
I get the great honor of going to Ft. Riley Kansas and cooking at this event. It is not really a competition; we are assigned a Wounded Warrior and/or their family. They will come out to the cooksite to join da Wreck'n Q in cooking a comp. meat cook. We will then feed around 2,000 of the Greatest Americans a great BBQ meal, the Men and Women of the Big Red One!. The Wounded Warriors or their Families get to turn in "their" meat for a chance to win some great prizes! Did I mention what an honor this is going to be!!!!! I love our Military and the Men and Women who serve!! If I get to bring a day of happiness, a day of forgetting the pain and what they are going through, if cooking BBQ gives them at least a little hope; Brothers I am all in.

And what makes me even prouder. My oldest Daughter and a friend she went to college with (they are both Seniors at different schools now) came to hang out with Old Pops on Friday Nite. They asked me about my next cook because they were having so much fun. Started telling them both about this....they interrupted to tell me they wanted in!!!! They are both going to try to get off work to go. Told them last year the temps dropped down into the 30's overnight, they were unfazed and still wanted in. I am going to try to post Savannah's (my Daughters) post to here Facebook....
"Just got the opportunity to go to Fort Reilly and help out the troops in what sounds like an amazingly cool BBQ cooking event in November. Words cannot describe how bad I want to go and give back to those people who have given me my freedom and fight to protect it."

Got to admit it my friends....every time I read this or share it.....this brings a big ol' tear or two this Old Fat Man's eye. When I think about how she gets it..... and how proud I am of her!!!

Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline dawrecknq

Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Sounds like a great eventand a worthy cause...  and you sound like one proud pappa!  :)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
sound like great fun.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
That is really cool.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

PoppyBill

Good for you Dawreckng! There's a lot to be proud of there.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Sounds like a great cause! And it is great that your daughter wants to take the time to help her dad out ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

Good for you and what a great thing to share with your daughter.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline hikerman

Hats off to you sir. Anytime we can try to give back.....it's always a good thing. And now we see again that the apples don't fall far from the tree. You should be a proud papa!  Good Luck!

Offline Hub

I've heard about this comp and some others that are similar -- great concept  ;D -- mighty proud of you for cookin' in it!!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

For me, this would be the high point of my cookin' "career"...how I would love to participate in such an event. 
Robins Air Force Base is right here in Warner Robins, GA.  I will be looking out for an opportunity to cook with a team if they have an event to honor and thank the folks who serve here.  Every team needs a go-fer and a pot scrubber...certainly I could do THAT much.

AND...you have to be "bustin' a button" when you have a daughter and friend who are so eager to serve with you.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline BAM1

Way cool.  Enjoy the day and soak it all in.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline dawrecknq

For me, this would be the high point of my cookin' "career"...how I would love to participate in such an event. 
Robins Air Force Base is right here in Warner Robins, GA.  I will be looking out for an opportunity to cook with a team if they have an event to honor and thank the folks who serve here.  Every team needs a go-fer and a pot scrubber...certainly I could do THAT much.

AND...you have to be "bustin' a button" when you have a daughter and friend who are so eager to serve with you.

You always have a standing invitation to come cook with me!!!! Would be honored to have you sitting the pit with me!

Offline dawrecknq

Thanks to you all~ I am a very proud of my Daughter and Hollind. That standing invitation.....that goes out to everyone on this forum! Anytime, anywhere.

Dan