Author Topic: Of all days... the hot tub electronics fried...  (Read 2018 times)

Offline pz

Of all days... the hot tub electronics fried...
« Reply #-1 on: December 11, 2013, 10:31:58 PM »
Had the tree service guys come out today to remove a dead tree, one that was in danger of falling on the deer fence or the hot tub, and also a couple at the far corner of the property to improve the view.

Planned a Champagne celebration (in the hot tub) of the improved view, but discovered that the tub electronics were fried - maintenance mode only until the technicians come to replace the defective unit.

However, the view improvement inspired gin and tonic while enjoying the view from our recliners.  Oh well, gin and tonic is pretty good as well  ;)

Before and after...

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Re: Of all days... the hot tub electronics fried...
« on: December 12, 2013, 01:08:35 AM »
Hey PZ that looks great with the added view. I feel your pain with the hot tub problems. The last couple of years I have decided to drain mine in the winter. I have come home once or twice to a flow 2 alarm which is the flow meter sticking. That shuts down the recirc pump and heater. Not a good thing to happen when its -30 below.  :o

Any fish in that lake??

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:59 AM »
Awesome view. Beautiful.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 01:45:46 AM »
Awesome view. Beautiful.

Thanks fbm

Any fish in that lake??

I remember you posting about winter problems (and the cold) in another post, devo.  I agree with you in that I'll likely tire of the cold rush across a frozen deck, but my wife dearly loves the tub, and this is literally the first time in about 3-4 years that I've been able to enjoy the water due to a severe chlorine and bromine allergy (stuff makes me look like a leper)  Now with the new biguanide treatment, I'm finally able to enjoy with my sweetheart.

As to fish, yes, in addition to typical fish you'd expect to find in a northwest lake, our bay is famous for pike, and elsewhere we find land-locked Chinook salmon.  Kokanee salmon are also plentiful.  I personally do not fish much in the lake, but prefer the alpine lakes where I enjoy native brook trout (my favorite pan fish).  We usually bring a Coleman stove, a pound of bacon, a black pan, and fry what we catch as we catch it.  Believe it or not, there is nothing like eating crisp fried fins and tails - they are like potato chips

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:57:19 AM »
Nice improved view pz!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:24:40 AM »
Too bad about the tub.  View looks great though.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:06:51 AM »
pz sorry to hear about your spa. I have had my Hot Springs spa for over 7 years and no troubles yet.

My spa has a ozone system so no chlorine needed. Is that an optional upgrade on your unit? Or maybe you can go salt? Both are much easier on the skin.

Although now that I moved I no longer have it :'(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
You sure improved your view.  Enjoy.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »

My spa has a ozone system so no chlorine needed. Is that an optional upgrade on your unit? Or maybe you can go salt? Both are much easier on the skin.

My daughters Hands get honorably dry.  Lotion every night and doesn't seem to help.  We take her to swimming class and the next day her hands look completely new and soft.  Guessing something with the chlorine helps her hands out big time.  It is public pool so I am guessing they go on the high end to keep it cleaner.  Thinking of getting a tub just to have in the garage for her to soak her hands in. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »
Your views are just spectacular. I envy you on that one.

That's the only thing that I would want on my land in New Mexico is a lake. But water in New Mexico is like liquid gold. Good thing, I have a small river that runs through it from the mountain runoff and some decent aquifers.

It is a lot drier with significantly less moisture. If you follow that stream up to its source, the typography changes to pine trees and damper ground and open fields of wild grass. Just an amazing transformation within a short distance.

This becomes really nice grazing country except it is a chore to find the animals and bring them back down. It also becomes another nice habitat for elk, mule deer and wild horses. The elevation runs from 5000 to 7500 feet above sea level and if you go into the National Forest, it will climb to 11,000 ft. That's where the air starts to become to thin for me these days.

Dang, I just love wilderness land.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
Awesome view. Beautiful.
X2, Kimmie would love to live there
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »
Thanks folks; it does the place feel new, yet not.

You have a fantastic piece of property, Ed!

pz sorry to hear about your spa. I have had my Hot Springs spa for over 7 years and no troubles yet.

Although now that I moved I no longer have it :'(

Dang, that's too bad about not having a tub in your new place - sorry to hear that.

I have the ozone generator, but the hot tub got enough use so that some kind of sanitization.  I'm interested in the salt system, but no one in my area seems to know about it.  I should probably investigate that method, but so far the biguanide system appears to be very easy on my skin (keeping fingers crossed)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 01:41:33 AM »
PZ

I have been running a salt water system in my pool for about 5 years now. Loved it so much I got one of the little ones for my hot tub last spring.

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Saltron-Mini-Salt-System-Chlorine-Generator-for-Spas-P10105C43.aspx

I followed their startup to the letter, balance the hotub and installed it in early May. Ran the hotub till the middle of Nov. and never added a thing to it. Sure is nice not having to fuss with it all the time.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:48:45 AM by smokendevo »

Offline pz

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 02:46:08 AM »
Thanks for the info, devo - my wife has been after me to investigate the salt system, and it will be good to have another system to fall back on.  I suspect that I will likely develop a sensitivity to the biguanide method, because that is my kind of luck - as they sang on Hee Haw, "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all"  ;D