Author Topic: My Christmas Story  (Read 2120 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
My Christmas Story
« Reply #-1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »
Up here it is getting harder and harder to say Merry Christmas. No more Christmas plays in the schools and many other things. Everything is Happy Holidays we are forgetting what it is all about.

A few years ago I was working in Yemen at a new production facility. This facility had and part of the plant up but for the most part it was still under construction. The construction work force was mostly Yemen with expats from other countries.

On Christmas Eve I was working the night shift there were on two of us on. One was in the power plant and I was looking after everything else.
Christmas morning as I was walking back to the living area I passed the construction personnel coming to work. I was amazed by how many walked up and tried their best to say Merry Christmas and shake my hand. This is a country that is at the extreme end of being a Muslim.

Sorry but I don’t get where a Yemen Muslim man can say Merry Christmas in his country and I can’t say it in mine.

Hope I don’t offend anyone but I am still amazed to this day and remember it every Christmas.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: My Christmas Story
« on: December 23, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »
Up here it is getting harder and harder to say Merry Christmas. No more Christmas plays in the schools and many other things. Everything is Happy Holidays we are forgetting what it is all about.

A few years ago I was working in Yemen at a new production facility. This facility had and part of the plant up but for the most part it was still under construction. The construction work force was mostly Yemen with expats from other countries.

On Christmas Eve I was working the night shift there were on two of us on. One was in the power plant and I was looking after everything else.
Christmas morning as I was walking back to the living area I passed the construction personnel coming to work. I was amazed by how many walked up and tried their best to say Merry Christmas and shake my hand. This is a country that is at the extreme end of being a Muslim.

Sorry but I don’t get where a Yemen Muslim man can say Merry Christmas in his country and I can’t say it in mine.

Hope I don’t offend anyone but I am still amazed to this day and remember it every Christmas.
Very good point, but they are not done with us yet!  Give them another 2 years and see what comes up  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 10:48:50 AM »
I agree CDN, it's the same way here but it's still Merry Christmas to me! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
I think as Canadians we are too sensitive to other cultures. I can respect other cultures and religions but last I checked you moved to my country. We celebrate Christmas here and if that offends someone I would gladly pay for a plane ticket back to where they came from. Just my 2 cents..
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 10:58:05 AM »
Drew what is in your heart is what matters!
Merry Christmas to you and your family buddy!  :)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year is what I will always say.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

My Christmas Story
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:01 AM »
Well said buddy!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
Same down here. Since I retired I have worked part time in retail and they want us to say Happy Holidays, but I will still say Merry Christmas. Screw 'em.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
I grew up in Kansas and it was always Merry Christmas.  Moved to South Florida in 1993 and got Happy Holidays.  I am a Christian and celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ and I reply Merry Christmas and may God Bless you and your family.

Merry Christmas to all and may God Bless you and your family.

Jim

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
I grew up in Kansas and it was always Merry Christmas.  Moved to South Florida in 1993 and got Happy Holidays.  I am a Christian and celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ and I reply Merry Christmas and may God Bless you and your family.

Jim

Right back at you Jim!
Merry Christmas!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »
Well said! You and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »

Jim

So very well said, and I am glad to say again,,,,, Merry Christmas to all and to all have a Happy New Year.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 11:34:04 AM »
I have been told by work to tell customers Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas >:(

That is how our society has become. A majority of Americans proudly celebrate Christmas. Pretty depressing  :(
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 12:54:05 AM »
For some reason this year; my reply has been "May you have a very Merry and Blessed Christmas"! Not sure why, it's just been coming out that way. I think people in my neck of the woods (bible belt central) have felt the war on Christians and Christmas more than in the past. For I have never been greeted more in coming or going with "Merry Christmas" from store clerks, store owners, other patrons. I hope that it is not too late for this great country, founded by God's Providence and based on his teachings, to return to our true roots as a Nation and as Families. I am a very staunch Conservative. I do not support Gay Marriage; I do support any other kind of civial union. I know that some say "It's about Love" or "Why can't you just wish everyone happiness like Jesus would". Without getting to far off tract, Don't think Jesus would be like "Hey it's more important that you like me than we follow the teachings of my Father".

Now back on the Muslim thing.... I have talked to some soldiers, contractors and missionaries who have been in Muslim lands. They say that the every day, Layman Muslim, shares many things with Christians and peace could be had. But, their religion has been highjacked, much like our Country, by those who only understand hatred, bigotry and killing.

Sorry for the rant....sorry if I got too far off topic, but just thought I would ramble out some of my feelings.

Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"