Author Topic: there is no joy in T-town  (Read 1643 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: there is no joy in T-town
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:08 AM »
In context….it was a football game. And - I make no apologies for my love of the game. But….some folks just take leave of their senses at a ball game. Regardless of what the taunts are - people seem to forget that they are supposed to be adults. Especially if they have kids at the game.

Bad behavior on someone else's part never excuses our  returning that same - or in this case worse -behavior.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:58 AM »
In context….it was a football game. And - I make no apologies for my love of the game. But….some folks just take leave of their senses at a ball game. Regardless of what the taunts are - people seem to forget that they are supposed to be adults. Especially if they have kids at the game.

Bad behavior on someone else's part never excuses our  returning that same - or in this case worse -behavior.
I agree. Some folks act like it's a European soccer game.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
Did they mention that alcohol may have been involved? ??? 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 07:46:43 AM »
According to the news the woman was reacting to derogatory remarks others were making.  They were going back and forth until they began threatening her 16 year old son and telling him he wasn't a man unless he came down and stood up for his mother. Then she went berserk on  them. It was still was the wrong thing to do though

One thing I learned early.... YOU NEVER poke a Momma Grizzly by messing with her cubs!!!! Why Buma fans would be provoking a 16 yr old to defend his Momma is perplexing; especially when Momma Bear can obviously defend herself.

Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 07:53:11 AM »
It is a tough row to hoe being a Sooner here in the land of the Tar Heels, and in the region of the SEC and ACC.  The Sooners looked awesome last night and Bama couldn't sustain enough oomph.  The sports press often has a tendency toward myopia and they get their just rewards on occasion when they read their own press releases and then believe them  ::)

The thing I like most about college football is the entertaining inconsistency.  Despite the NCAA's bewildering and often impossible rules, good teams do get built.  And, on any given day, somebody can create a stunning surprise.  As a Sooner fan of six decades, I've been on both ends of that deal  ;D

Hub

Hub- Absolutely, you got my Sooner Fandom beat by about 20 yrs...but Ive been a Sooner since about 10 yrs old. A lot because I hate Kansas U and Kansas St. It is like be a Chiefs fan... yes, I guess I am a sadomasochist (sp chk?)!! But, as I told a guy that day; The Tide should win the game...but then again....the Stoops Sooners seem to play more to their competition than they should. That they would probably beat Bama by 10.... and yet lose to a Boyze State!!!
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »
It is easy to try and draw too fine a point here….because many here are fans of either one of these two teams involved. What we saw was not about Alabama - vs - OU…..

Examine the larger picture - please: It is great to love your team, and the game itself. But one does not have to hate the opposing team  - or their fans just because they are not on your side.

If you truly love the game - and your team - you owe both of them honor and respect. When I see fans acting out - as Gus mentioned, like European soccer fans - it brings down the level respect anyone can have for themselves, or the sport. The sport becomes nothing more than an excuse for a drunken brawl and emotional outbursts comparable to that of an unruly 2 yr. old…..It just gets ugly and embarrassing for anyone with a sense of dignity.

Let's hope that we don't find excuses for clearly unacceptable behavior, and that these kinds of incidents will be rare.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 11:39:26 AM »
I am an avid college football fan and an Alabama fan first and foremost, but at the end of the day it is just a game. I am still happy with an 11 and 2 season. I remember the lean years when we did not even have a winning season and I was still a fan then. I love the game of college football and especially the way they play it down South. I can't remember who wrote it but way back when Bear Bryant was still coach someone wrote an article in SI trying to explain why football was so popular down South and why fans were so fanatic about their teams. He said it was a tribal/clannish thing. The South is predominately Celtic  or American Indian in heritage and they are clannish people. You identify your self with a clan and stick with it your entire life. My people are all Celtic and I understand the clan mentality.

Another thing is that I am an avid soccer fan, there I have admitted it. I coached and refereed soccer from the 5 year old ages up through high school teams and was a selector for the state Olympic Development team. I am probably one of the few who can watch 90 minutes of soccer and still be happy with a 1-0 score. It is a beautiful game and I can get more worked up over a soccer game than I can a good football game, but it is still just a game.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »
Well said Ken! When we lose civility at public events - it is ia clear indication of the loss of of our civilization, in an incremental fashion. Bit by bit, we find it "tolerable" until - that behavior become the norm, or expected.

Speaking of soccer…any idea why it has never become really successful here in the U.S. as it is in the rest of the world? ( I have a theory….)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »
Well said Ken! When we lose civility at public events - it is ia clear indication of the loss of of our civilization, in an incremental fashion. Bit by bit, we find it "tolerable" until - that behavior become the norm, or expected.

Speaking of soccer…any idea why it has never become really successful here in the U.S. as it is in the rest of the world? ( I have a theory….)

Not sure Tim. Down South it is still considered a slow sport and not exciting and it still considered by many to be a "sissy" sport. IMHO opinion soccer players are the best athletes there are and especially the best conditioned. 
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »
Look  it's Bama football.  It ain't life and death------IT'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT!!!! ;) :)   Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »

I think one of the biggest reasons soccer has not been as successful in the US as elsewhere has nothing to do with the game itself.  The U.S. is geographically much more isolated than the countries that have huge soccer rivalries, and to be blunt be already have enough city vs. city rivalries covered with baseball and American football.  Football is a great example of what the U.S. likes in a game nowadays.  It is an excuse to get drunk and hang out with friends, and it also plays to the inherent laziness of Americans and stays indoors (other parts of the world more frequently take their events away from home and even outdoors).  It is why the Superbowl is so successful I think.  It includes spouses who may not even care about the game itself.  I am a baseball fanatic, but I hate watching it with anyone else.  It is not an event or get together for me the way that football is for many folks.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »
Nice try….but not a correct one Chris….next guess?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

there is no joy in T-town
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »
You want non-stop action. Try hockey eh. ;D

I enjoy a good European soccer match where you have a chance of being killed if a fight breaks out. Reminds me of NASCAR when a car loses a wheel ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 02:51:07 PM »
You want non-stop action. Try hockey eh. ;D

I enjoy a good European soccer match where you have a chance of being killed if a fight breaks out. Reminds me of NASCAR when a car loses a wheel ???

Nope….not it…one last guess?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
The world according to Gus.

The people in the US haven't figured out how to handicap soccer as well as football and basketball. While I don't want to minimize the dedication of fans, gambling has greatly increased the popularity of those sports. While betting on baseball is also popular, not as much as the other two. Baseball popularity has declined, but has had a historical head start with a large fan base.  Baseball has been popular because at one time it was about the only major league sport. It was something that was a better fit for the radio when there wasn't TV.

Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.