Author Topic: made some crackers  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Saber 4

Re: made some crackers
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
Looks good, was it a basic bread dough?

VERY basic...as in all-purpose flour, salt, water & EVOO.  Gave it a ride with a dough hook for a while.

Probably the key thing is to roll 'em real thin.  You can use one large baking pan, but I went for 3 smaller ones so I could try different seasonings.

How much of each? I've got to try this, I've been doing lots of variations of the crusty bread recipe and this one doesn't need yeast or rising and would go great with some smoked cheese and Canadian bacon. Thanks

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 10:43:21 PM »
Cool Jaxon!

Never thought about making my own crackers!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:08:17 AM »
Very cool!

I can see Smokin Don getting ahold of this and making some of his cajun crackers.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
You might be familiar with this product or one like it...there are 4 sections in this bottle...each one with a different spice/herb combination.  We'll pour out some EVOO into a saucer and add some of the "stuff", then heat it a bit, then drag some bread thru it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
For Saber 4...
number one thing...I'm a beginner cook inside.  I have made whipping cream biscuits before, but I don't DO baking.

The recipe I used called for:
1 1/2 cups of AP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup warm water
3 TBS EVOO

Whisk the flour & salt together in the mixing bowl, then stir in the water & oil.  Using the dough hook, mix it on medium speed  for about 5 minutes or until it comes together into a nice lookin' ball - my note here: I had to add more flour to get the right consistency .
Shape the dough into a ball, put it back into the bowl and lightly cover with EVOO.  Cover with plastic and let it rest for about 45 min.
Heat oven to 425*
Divide the dough in half or thirds.  Flip over a heavy-rimmed baking sheet, flour it heavily, and roll out one ball onto the back of the sheet until it covers edge to edge - my note again:  if you're using the typical 18 x 13 sheet, use the 1/2 ball size....howsomever, I used three pans that are 6 x 10 on the bottom and cut the dough into thirds so I could try more variety of seasoning. 
It should be quite thin by then.  Trim off the overhang and brush off the extra flour, particularly around the lip of the baking sheet.  Mix !/2 cup of water & 1 tsp of kosher salt and brush some onto the dough.  Then, prick it all over (so they don't balloon up).  Now add the seasoning of your choice.
IMPORTANT:  use a pizza cutter or large knife to score the dough into the size you want for the crackers.  Don't worry about making sure the crackers are separated:  they will break apart easily after baking.
bake for 5 to 10 minutes, OR until they are nice and golden and browning on the edges and looking very baked - my note again:  you'll have to be patient here because I baked for almost 15 minutes AND its a good idea to turn the pan to bake evenly. 
Remove the baked crackers to a cooling rack where they will crisp up nicely.  Store in an airtight container. 
My suggestion is that you bake these when you are home alone...that way you WILL have some left to store for later.  B T W, you don't have to tell anyone where you have them stored.

just sayin'...

[attachment deleted by admin]
<><

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »
Note: if you do not use a cooling rack, cookie mesh works well, the crackers will be soggy on the bottom, defeating your purpose. Good job Jaxon.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
Thanks Jaxon,

I'm not much of a baker either, I have done a good beer bread recipe that's easy and SiFumar's Easy Crusty Bread Recipe with success and your cracker's would be great for serving my smoked cheese and Canadian bacon on.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
Very Cool!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline chris becker

• Smoke On!
    • cookinpellets
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
I think I'm going to give this a try in my pellet grill...
I have smoked store bought crackers and use them to put a lite smoke flavor in soups, salads and stock...
Great idea!!!!
Nutin better then Hard Wood!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »
Moved topic to Baker's Corner - so that when anyone is looking for the recipe they can find it.  We have so many posts int eh Gneral Discussion section, that it will get lost quickly...It looks really good Jaxon. Too good for the recipe to get lost!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »
Thanx, Tim, for the encouragement...feels good to know I may have contributed a recipe that someone would actually use.

These are easy to make - so easy a backyard jack can do it - they just take time.
<><