Author Topic: No Knead Sandwich Bread  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
No Knead Sandwich Bread
« Reply #-1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:17 AM »
Jan 21 2014

I was not going to post this but thought some of you bread makers might like to try it with a little better success than I had. I found the recipe on food52.com by Carey Nershi. She had a photo of the finished bread. It looked good and she used half bread flour and half all-purpose flour. She said it was also good as buttered bread.

I decided to make it up Monday and bake it Tuesday to have with my leftover S.C. bog. The process did not go as the recipe; she said to make a shaggy dough. It did look shaggy but thought there was too much flour not mixed in. She also has a blog so looked there thinking she might have a photo of what shaggy dough is supposed to look like but she did not. The first rise was for 5 hours. After 4 hours it had not doubled and still looked the shaggy mess I had begun with.

I did some hand mixing and got the flour mostly incorporated and after another 4 hours it looked almost doubled so it went in the fridge until today.

I divided it in half; wrapped one in plastic wrap and back in the fridge. It still seemed way to dry so I worked it and added in some olive oil. It was looking better so I flattened it out and folded over twice; it went into a loaf pan to rise for an hour. After an hour it was not doubled in size so I helped it by heating the oven to 120 deg. turning it off and the bread went in. In 45 min. it looked almost double so took it out and heated the oven to 450 deg.

I cut a slit down the middle and buttered it then in the oven. I would have some edible bread or a brick! I checked it at 30 minutes and it was plenty brown and up to 190 deg. IT. It did look pretty and it set for 2 hours before slicing for supper.

I made some Southern style gravy from a Pioneer brand mix for over my bog and heated up the bog. I sliced the bread and the texture looked decent. It went well with the bog.

I think I will do the other half as a round loaf and if I do try this again I will definitely cut the flour back to 6 cups instead of 6 ½.

It is -3 deg. as I post this and no relief until Sat. when it’s supposed to get to 28 deg.! A good time to stay and cook inside!

Shaggy dough?

Bread and butter with my Supper

Smokin Don

Recipe:

No Knead sandwich bread by Carey Nershi
Makes 2 loaves
•   3 1/4cups bread flour (433 grams)
•   3 1/4cups all-purpose flour (433 grams)
•   2teaspoons instant or active dry yeast (8 grams)
•   1 1/2tablespoon kosher salt (14 grams)
•   3cups water (709 grams)
1.   Combine flours, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Add water and stir together with a wooden spoon to form a shaggy dough. Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let proof at room temperature for around 5 hours. At this point the dough can be used immediately, or covered with plastic wrap and kept in the fridge for up to two weeks.
2.   On baking day, remove half of the dough from the bowl and return the remainder to the fridge. Turn the dough out on a floured surface and lightly knead 3–4 times. Shape dough into a rectangle approximately 8 in. x 12 in. Fold one third of the dough into the center, followed by the other third.
3.   Place seam side-down in a buttered loaf pan. Cover and let rise for approximately 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
4.   Preheat your oven to 450°. Dust the top of the dough with a little flour and score with a serrated knife. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until the top of the loaf has just begun to brown. Let cool for at least an hour before slicing.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: No Knead Sandwich Bread
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:43:02 AM »
Looks pretty darn good to me.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »
Don that is a good recipe but you should add a tsp sugar to the water to bloom your yeast then add the salt to your flour. Salt retards the growth of your yeast, sugar enhances it. Also check the expiration date on your yeast. I buy yeast in bulk so I always check the date. Other than that..it looks fine..looks like a dense bread. I'm sure it smelled terrific too..love the smell of fresh bread baking. Good job as usual.
They have a ton of no knead breads out now but they are real soupy and sticky.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 06:14:02 AM »
Bread looks good to me too Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
Looks good to me too, Don. I agree with what Pam said. Also sometimes you come across flour that needs a bit more water than recipe calls for, maybe it's been in a warehouse too long. I've never made a no-knead recipe so that's all I can say but your loaf sure looks good!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:50 AM »
Bread looks good Don!

I think I will stick to making pizza dough ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »
Great post Don, and good timing!  I've been experimenting with no-knead dough recipes lately.

Was it a harder crust or a softer crust?
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 08:14:48 AM »
Bookmarked!   Thanks, looks really good
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
That looks like some good bread Don! -22 Celcius here this morning.. good excuse for me to try make some
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »
Pam I just mixed the flour and salt, made a well added the yeast, was a good date, the added luke warm water to mix. It was a denser bread as was supposed to be. It had a nice crisp crust TH. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »
With everyone else, looks good from here ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:57:29 AM »
Pam I just mixed the flour and salt, made a well added the yeast, was a good date, the added luke warm water to mix. It was a denser bread as was supposed to be. It had a nice crisp crust TH. Don
Don..ya did good..not a lot of humidity that day either. All breads are different, just gotta experiment with them. I use the Artisian Breads in 5 Minutes a Day cookbook. You make up a batch and it keeps for over 2 weeks..Just pull out a grapefruit size batch and let it rise in whatever shape you want, then cook. It makes like 4 loaves of bread. You have to let the 1st batch sit then it's time to make bread. It's real loose like the no knead breads too. Very sticky but just oil your hands first. Nice breads and they make all kinds of breads.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:43:04 AM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:57:45 AM »
I'd eat a loaf of that bread!!!

Don..ya did good..not a lot of humidity that day either. All breads are different, just gotta experiment with them. I use the Artisian Breads in 5 Minutes a Day cookbook. You make up a batch and it keeps for over 2 weeks..Just pull out a grapefruit size batch and let it rise in whatever shape you want, then cook. It makes like 4 loaves of bread. You have to let the 1st batch sit then it's time to make bread. It's real loose like the no knead breads too. Very sticky but just oil your hands first. Nice breads and they make all kinds of breads.    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

That's good to hear about the bread from the book, I got a copy for Christmas but haven't gotten into it yet. Still to busy reading the Kutas sausage book I also got.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
Don,
If this recipe for a "no knead bread" is anywhere close to the success of your Amish Cinnamon Bread recipe, I'm in!  I have now made four loaves of the Amish Cinnamon Bread.  Tee is going crazy over it!  Sending me pictures of the bread with apple butter and thick sliced bacon on it.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »
Don,
If this recipe for a "no knead bread" is anywhere close to the success of your Amish Cinnamon Bread recipe, I'm in!  I have now made four loaves of the Amish Cinnamon Bread.  Tee is going crazy over it!  Sending me pictures of the bread with apple butter and thick sliced bacon on it.

Art
Tee I hope you are wearing stretch pants!!!

Pam now why did you mention the cook book?  ;D I just had to go to Amazon and order their new one and they just knew when they showed me the Danish dough hook I would have to have it too!  ::) They know how to sucker me in! Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi