Author Topic: Artisan No Knead Bread  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Artisan No Knead Bread
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »
Jan 29 2014

I had baked a lot of bread in my bread machine over the years; most came out pretty good but was not like crusty artisan bread. The last couple of years I used Jim Lahey’s no knead recipe and baked it in my 5 quart Dutch oven and they all came out good.

A couple of weeks ago I made some that was a marriage of Lahey’s and Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day.
It did not come out real great. I checked out Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois’s book Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day. I watched some videos on it and like it better than the Lahey method since it didn’t take the long rise time of 18 hours. All you had to do was mix it up let rise for 2 hours then in the fridge for up to two weeks and would do four loaves. Baking day all you had to do was take a grapefruit size ball out, form it quickly then let rise for 40 minutes. Then bake at 450 deg. along with a pan filled with a cup of water for 30 to 35 minutes.

I ordered the New Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day from Amazon along with a Danish dough hook for mixing the bread by hand. I mixed a batch up yesterday and was happy with the Danish dough hook. It worked great and had it all mixed in several minutes. I let it set for two hours and it had doubled in size and looked the way it should. It went in the fridge overnight.

I baked my first loaf today. It didn’t go as well as the videos showed. I floured my hands and pulled some dough out; I had it all sticking to my hands before I could form it. It went back in the bowl; I washed my hands and then used olive oil on them.  I was able to get a ball formed and quickly placed it in my 9 inch Lodge steel skillet, I had dusted with corn meal.  It was to set for 40 minutes while you heated the oven to 450 deg.

I was glad I decided not to preheat the skillet; it was runny enough it flattened out but the skillet size stopped it or I would have flat bread! It did not rise any that I could tell but they said not to worry it would rise while baking. I cut slits in the bread in 3 places but they filled in and the center slice was the only one that came out ok. I checked it after 30 minutes and let it bake for 35 minutes.

I was happy with the outcome; it had a crispy crust and about doubled in size while baking. It didn’t go as well as I had hoped for. I will know more after I slice it for supper tonight. I will add a photo and any thoughts later.

Baking bread is a great thing to do when you can’t get outdoors to smoke or grill due to winter weather. It also helps to keep me from getting into trouble with the wife!  ;D

Link to bread site and videos http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

The book and Danish dough hook

Dough mixed up

After 2 hours and ready for the fridge

In my skillet and ready to bake

All done

Cooling

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 03:22:51 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Artisan No Knead Bread
« on: January 29, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
Nice looking loaf.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
Thanks for all the great information on this type of bread ;D

Loaf looks great from here
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »
That's the best bread I've seen outside of a Dutch oven - great job, Don!

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
That looks great Don!!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Pappymn

Artisan No Knead Bread
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »
Looks great SD.

About a dozen years ago or so I was bitten by the artisan bread bug. Never got good at it, and was humbled many times in the process.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »
Here is the bread sliced. We had it with some of my Freezer Pork & Kraut leftovers. Even though I didn't think it turned out the way I wanted it to; it was delicious among the best bread I have made. Smokin Don

Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:38:10 PM »
That slice brought back a memory.

When I was very young Mom use to make home made bread. We didn't have access to store bought.

My Dad, brother and I would be waiting at the table until it cooled enough to slice the. It was butter and jam ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:51 PM »
Boy that looks good, Don - wish I had a loaf of that right now - I'm all out of bread, hungry, and have a wheel of Camembert in the garage just begging to be opened and spread thickly on just such a slice of bread

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »
That is a good looking loaf, I got that book for Christmas and haven't had a chance to dive into it. I need to go ahead and order that whisk, I saw one on another post and have been wanting to get one.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 09:07:19 PM »
That bread looks great Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 03:18:32 AM »

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:48 AM »
Bread looks really good! I have done the Artisan in 5 method quite a bit and usually add flour until a somewhat sticky traditional dough is formed. Also it is important to give it the little 30 second stretching exercise they show in the video. It's also true what they say about more fridge time = better flavor.  I like it with some cubed extra sharp cheddar and garlic powder. Jeff & Zoey are really good at personally responding to any questions on there forum.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 10:35:52 AM »
That is a good looking loaf, I got that book for Christmas and haven't had a chance to dive into it. I need to go ahead and order that whisk, I saw one on another post and have been wanting to get one.
I do like the dough hook, makes it so easy to mix there is no need for a mixer to do it and less to clean up. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »
Bread looks really good! I have done the Artisan in 5 method quite a bit and usually add flour until a somewhat sticky traditional dough is formed. Also it is important to give it the little 30 second stretching exercise they show in the video. It's also true what they say about more fridge time = better flavor.  I like it with some cubed extra sharp cheddar and garlic powder. Jeff & Zoey are really good at personally responding to any questions on there forum.
Thanks SS for that info! I have looked at their site but need to look at their blog. I am still going through the book. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi