Author Topic: Crusty Bread Dough experiment and today's lunch  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Saber 4

Crusty Bread Dough experiment and today's lunch
« Reply #-1 on: February 23, 2014, 02:39:14 PM »
Recently a friend of ours gave me a hamburger and a hot dog bun pan and I've been dying to try a batch but I didn't like the work involved in some of the recipes I found online and in the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book. So I thought why don't I just use the crusty bread dough and the hamburger bun recipe cooking times and techniques. Here's the dough split into 6 pieces and dropped in the bun pan to rise for 20 minutes.

After 25 minutes in the oven preheated to 350. I forgot to take a picture after they sat for 20 minutes and I brushed them with the melted butter

On the rack cooling for lunch

Cut open after they cooled

Decided to toast them up on the griddle with a little butter cause SWMBO loves a toasted bun

And plated up for lunch with some spicy brown mustard, smoked Jarlsberg Cheese and some of my Canadian Bacon.

Wife said it was a home run and could I have 50 ready for her next quilt guild meeting. I need to get better at portioning the dough more evenly and I think I need a little more melted butter brushed on and to cook them a little longer next time.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: Crusty Bread Dough experiment and today's lunch
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
looks very nice ,
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »
Good looking meal.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
I'd like a plate if you had extra to spare ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
I flatten mine when I put them in the pans..and weigh them out with a scale then divide by how many your making...that way they are as even as you can make them..hope that helps.
They look fine to me. How soft were they? do you put a water pan in with them? I am looking for the recipe for a soft bun. Not too easy to find. I'm still looking.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »
I flatten mine when I put them in the pans..and weigh them out with a scale then divide by how many your making...that way they are as even as you can make them..hope that helps.
They look fine to me. How soft were they? do you put a water pan in with them? I am looking for the recipe for a soft bun. Not too easy to find. I'm still looking.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I flattened mine out as best I could with the odd sizes I cut. I need to weigh out the dough and split it by weight like you suggested. Since I wasn't sure how it was going to work I wasn't to worried about the sizes, figured a big one and a small one would help me decide what size I want to make them. They were very soft on the inside with a nice crust, I didn't use a water bowl, just heated the oven to 350, let them rise in the pan for 20 minutes then brushed some melted butter on top and baked for 30 minutes. I need to give it a little more time to get a more golden crust and I needed to spray the bottom of the pan to get them out easier. Give it a try I would be interested in what someone with your baking experience thinks of it and what tweaks you can come up with on the method.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 05:19:25 PM »
Looks great.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:32:51 PM »

I flattened mine out as best I could with the odd sizes I cut. I need to weigh out the dough and split it by weight like you suggested. Since I wasn't sure how it was going to work I wasn't to worried about the sizes, figured a big one and a small one would help me decide what size I want to make them. They were very soft on the inside with a nice crust, I didn't use a water bowl, just heated the oven to 350, let them rise in the pan for 20 minutes then brushed some melted butter on top and baked for 30 minutes. I need to give it a little more time to get a more golden crust and I needed to spray the bottom of the pan to get them out easier. Give it a try I would be interested in what someone with your baking experience thinks of it and what tweaks you can come up with on the method.
I make mine pretty flat then let them rise..for a browner crust I use an beaten egg, and give them a minute or 2 to get doner. I put a pan of steaming water in the bottom of the oven to soften them. In a bakery they have misters..I want one of them.  I think you have the idea.  The more you do..the better you get..just go for it..I know they are edible and homemade definitely tastes much better.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »
Looks very good from here
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
Looks very good from here

ya, I agree w/ tommy. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:40 AM »
And I agree with Sparky and Tommy! They do look good!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
Would love a good hamburger bun recipe.  Yours look great. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »
Would love a good hamburger bun recipe.  Yours look great.

It's just the simple crusty bread recipe split up and done in hamburger bun pans, give it a try and let me know how it works for you. :)

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:58:48 AM »
I don't use a bun pan..I just use a silpat on a baking sheet so they don't stick. I am looking for a soft bun recipe, but sometimes you just need a hearty bun. I have made the pretzel buns and they are great for a greasy cheeseburger or big hearty sammiches. For hotdogs it's all about the hotdog and toppings  so a softer bun is needed. Pretzel buns work good here too. I think your buns are fine..can't believe I'm telling this to a guy..LOL   Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
I don't use a bun pan..I just use a silpat on a baking sheet so they don't stick. I am looking for a soft bun recipe, but sometimes you just need a hearty bun. I have made the pretzel buns and they are great for a greasy cheeseburger or big hearty sammiches. For hotdogs it's all about the hotdog and toppings  so a softer bun is needed. Pretzel buns work good here too. I think your buns are fine..can't believe I'm telling this to a guy..LOL   Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I had thought about doing that but since I was given the pans I just had to try them. These aren't as soft as a store bought cheapo bun but they are much softer than I had anticipated, more like a gourmet bun at some of the fancier burger joints. I'm going to try the same dough with the hot dog bun pan to try to get a good bun for Brats and other sausages. I need to give pretzel making a try. I know what you mean about the things we compliment each other on around here that would be taken way out of context anywhere else, reminds me of when my wife was riding her mule in the stock shows, it was nothing to hear a man tell a woman that she had a nice/fine/great a$$ and not get slapped for it. lol