Author Topic: Peasant Loaf from Bread in 5  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Peasant Loaf from Bread in 5
« Reply #-1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
Mar 26 2014

Using the Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day bread recipes I have had bread dough on tap in the fridge to bake for a day’s meal. I kept the dough going through the winter and haven’t bought much bread. I have baked standard boules, ciabatta, flat bread and Indian Naan from the basic recipe. I went through 4 batches, each baking 3 to 4 loaves. My last batch was the peasant dough recipe; it has some rye and wheat flour along with white all-purpose flour. I baked a boule and 2 loaves of ciabatta with it.

Today I used up what was left of it. I thought I had plenty to do a loaf pan style from it. I should have known when I had it ready for the pan that I should have went with a smaller loaf pan. Once I had it in the oiled pan I hated to try and move it so left it in. I let it set for the 90 minutes rise time and baked it. It nowhere filled the loaf pan but turned out looking pretty good. The dough is pretty forgiving, most all of my loaves I baked looked good and all were good to eat. I didn’t start another batch, figuring if spring ever gets here I will be too busy.

I used to bake bread using the Lahey method, but hated messing with the heavy cast iron pot to bake it and it had to set for an 18 hour rise. The way I cook sometimes at night I will run across a recipe and want to fix it the next day. I can run to the grocery in the morning and if I get the bread started by 2:00pm I can have fresh baked bread with the meal too. The bread in 5 only has to rise 40 minutes and takes 30 to 35 minutes to bake. I found you can also bake it in a cast iron Dutch oven and get a little crispier crust if you eat it the day of baking. The second day it is about the same as the bread in 5 is.

Ready to rise

After rising, floured and slit cut

Out of the oven

Cooling

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Peasant Loaf from Bread in 5
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »
Don..it looks just fine, a smaller loaf pan will let it rise higher, if that is what you want. Yu can also add a lil more yeast for a better rise, I always add extra. put in the microwave is a good proofing box. I warm a cup of water or coffee before I rise and its perfect and will rise faster. Also I have even risen bread on top of laptop to speed it up some. Rising is usually about 85º. Hope this helps and I know your gonna put this on the grill this summer, it cooks great there too. Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
Don..it looks just fine, a smaller loaf pan will let it rise higher, if that is what you want. Yu can also add a lil more yeast for a better rise, I always add extra. put in the microwave is a good proofing box. I warm a cup of water or coffee before I rise and its perfect and will rise faster. Also I have even risen bread on top of laptop to speed it up some. Rising is usually about 85º. Hope this helps and I know your gonna put this on the grill this summer, it cooks great there too. Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
With the bread in 5 they say don't worry if it doesn't rise much it will in the oven and it always does. This was just not that high to begin with and I don't mind showing some of my lesser quality loaves. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:25:09 PM »
Don, your bread always looks wonderful.  It sure got my Wife's eye. She is the bread maker in the house ( except for cornbread,,,,, she has me do that ).  She especially is interested in your ciabatta bread.  Could you share the recipe?
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:31:43 PM »
Looks pretty darn good from here.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:09:28 PM »
Looks real tasty from here!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
With the bread in 5 they say don't worry if it doesn't rise much it will in the oven and it always does. This was just not that high to begin with and I don't mind showing some of my lesser quality loaves. Don
How was the taste..that is the key. I have made not so pretty loaves but they taste fabulous. I just tell them that I planned it that way.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
How was the taste..that is the key. I have made not so pretty loaves but they taste fabulous. I just tell them that I planned it that way.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Agreed,Ive had some odd shaped loaves that still tasted mighty durn good.That looks good to me Don.Cool on your season of bread making,well done indeed.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
I'll bring the butter ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:17 PM »
Great looking loaf, I'm betting you find the time as the weather warms up, fresh bread is impossible to beat.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 11:59:37 PM »
I haven't cut this one yet but has a nice crust and sounds good when plunked. Every loaf of the bread in 5 had good taste. Each batch got better since I left a little of the dough, never washed it between batches. The last batch, 4th, was peasant bread and a cup of the white flour was replaced with a 1/2 cup rye and 1/2 cup wheat. I think all of us liked it a little better than the basic all white. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 12:03:11 AM »
I'll bring the butter ;D

And I'll bring more.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »
Looks good to me Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 08:21:58 AM »
Bread looks great as usual Don. What are you refering to when you say " bread in 5" ? I would like to learn how to make bread like you do.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »
For those that would be critical of the appearance of any food, I like to remind them that: "The stomach is a blind organ - If the food smells, and tastes good - shut your eyes if you you need to and fantasize about it's appearance"

BTW - I see nothing less than great tasting bread form where I sit!  And it looks fine to me too!:D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401