Author Topic: Chag Sameach  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Chag Sameach
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:06 AM »
Ahron yours looks good!!! All the recipes I have seen none mentions Tilapia and sound like good fish balls or cakes to me. I would probably prefer them fried instead of boiled but that is probably incorrect for Passover. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 08:56:33 AM »
Isn't tilapia just poop eating carps? I saw Mike Rowe on tv explaining this.,.I will not eat that or tongue.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Carp are algae grazers, and herbivores - despite the common thinking that they are poop eaters. They could not be considered a "Kosher" fish if they were poop eaters. They will eat all kinds of aquatic plants.

Tilapia - if they are wild caught ( which - none of what we get here in the states are...) are fine. They are a "bass". In fact - all "bass" in the Americas, and sunfish/bream are bass as well.
I have eaten Tilapia fresh out of the river - way South of the border... - and it was good. I think the way it is farmed - like swai and other farm raised fish - is the thing that is wrong with it. There are some videos on You Tube that show "fish farms" in the Far East that raise fish in un-sanitary and completely deplorable conditions.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
Tilapia - if they are wild caught ( which - none of what we get here in the states are...) are fine.

Gotta call "BS" on that one, tee. The main reason that Hawaii people (who are "in the states") don't particularly like tilapia is because the wild ones grow primarily in our nastiest bodies of water (e.g., irrigation ditches and canals) and eat equally nasty stuff.

Pam - Taste the tongue. It's good and it can't taste you back.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »
Tilapia - if they are wild caught ( which - none of what we get here in the states are...) are fine.

Gotta call "BS" on that one, tee. The main reason that Hawaii people (who are "in the states") don't particularly like tilapia is because the wild ones grow primarily in our nastiest bodies of water (e.g., irrigation ditches and canals) and eat equally nasty stuff.

Pam - Taste the tongue. It's good and it can't taste you back.

I did when I was a kid and have bad memories of mom cutting the skin off tongue and peeling it off..none of the 5 of us would touch it, she was really po'd. I know it's all her fault..but.  Don't wanna even try it.  Thanks.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 12:42:53 PM »

I don't recall Tilapia as native toHawaii  - Turtle? maybe the fish figure their best survival tactic in Turtle-land is to live where no one will eat them.... I have seen the size of some of those people from your neighborhood....they look hungry all of the time ;D

Tilapia happen to grow just fine in clean waters BTW...as I can attest to from eating them out of the rivers in Central America. I say "clean" in the context of any river dwelling fish and via the qualification that "clear" water may not be "clean water" - just as "muddy water" - may not be dirty or un-healthy water for food fish.

Anytime you remove a species from it's preferred environment - it faces the opportunity to adapt for survival or - die. Merely that they are only seen in undesirable places in your home state - does not indicate they don't occur in better waters elsewhere.

After all - we both love pork....And tho hogs have been kept by farmers ( until the corporate "sterile" farms were built) in a "pig sty" - or a muddy, nasty pen. The pig does not prefer those conditions by it's nature. But it can make do and survive them. Same with the Tilapia.

Because it is known that Tilapia can survive poor conditions, many unscrupulous or flatly ignorant farmers have raised them that way. Again, this does not mean that by choice - it would be the preferred habitat, but - nobody asked the fish.
I don't eat Tilapia - because I know how it is farmed. ;) Been there - seen that. But, I also will not buy or knowingly consume farmed shrimp, or salmon. Similar reasons.

O.K....I am done playing with your BS...you can have it back now.... :D :D :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Some buttons are just too easy to push.

Offline BAM1

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
Good thing we'll be eating gulf fish seafood and fish next Tuesday and not any river tilapia or farmed shrimp ;)
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
Not sure how a nice post by Kat fixing a Passover meal turned into a Tilapia free for all. My searches on Gefilte recipes never mention Tilapia, ground turkey or tofu. I think you see this only if you buy it where Ka Honu does!  ::)  ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 03:35:24 PM »
Heck, I'd rather talk Tilapia than taxes any day! :) 

The Jewish portion of my family mostly live in Alaska, so they've got access to delicious wild caught fishies of all sorts.  Definitely a different ball game than the stuff you buy in the jar!! (I'm with you on the schadenfreude of just passing that stuff along, Ka Honu!) 

And Pam-- growing up, us kids used to argue over who got to eat the skin off the tongue!  But we were weird kids. :)  Even ol' Iron-Stomach James has flat out refused to even let me BUY beef tongue, since he knows I'll sneak it into something and he'll love it and never be able to forgive himself.  :)  Maybe I can take him out to an authentic Mexican taco joint and order him a 'lengua' taco and see what he thinks.   :)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
My searches on Gefilte recipes never mention Tilapia, ground turkey or tofu.

Of course not. I made it up to accentuate the fact that gefilte fish falls in the same "that ain't food" category as the other three and have some fun with tee and muebe at the same time.

... only if you buy it where Ka Honu does!

Ka Honu doesn't. Ever.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 11:48:42 PM »
Some buttons are just too easy to push.

Never throw a grenade at a trampoline...you know better... ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:03 PM »
Well the wife picked up a jar for me this afternoon. I will enjoy them!

All natural. No MSG. 0 Trans Fat. The perfect food ;)

A pic just for you Turtle 8)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven