Author Topic: Forum design topic for discussion  (Read 946 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Forum design topic for discussion
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 07:43:38 PM »
I'm a sausage kind of girl, but I can navigate to what I want to see..like last posts.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2014, 09:20:38 PM »
Interesting discussion....

Let me first say that the location of the Charcuterie section has nothing to do with it's popularity. It is merely a function of when it was added. And - we try to make a habit of leaving the arrangement of the homepage alone as much as possible - so that folks get to know where things are located.
The sound advice of how to find new posts quickly has been given, so I will not go into that - except to add that there may be other shortcuts you can use to scroll faster down the page. ( See your computer manufacturer's information for that.)

Secondly - the choice of the name was the suggestion made by forum members. It was not a term familiar to me initially. SO - let's look at it's meaning and usage:

Definition: Charcuterie is the art of making sausages and other cured, smoked and preserved meats. In addition to sausages, classic charcuterie items include pâtés, terrines, galantines, ballotines, confit and crèpinettes.

Charcuterie is one of the principal categories of garde manger, which encompasses various classical techniques for preserving foods that date from an era before refrigeration.

Originally, the word charcuterie was used to refer only to products made from pork. But today, the word charcuterie is used to describe any product prepared using these traditional methods, even ones made from poultry, fish, seafood or other meats.

One of the characteristics of charcuterie recipes is its use of forcemeat. But familiar smoked or cured meats such as ham and bacon are technically within the purview of charcuterie.

Additionally - "a charcuterie" is a shop which specializes in the products included in the category by the name charcuterie. We live in a world much bigger than just one country folks. And - while most of us here are native English speakers - that is not reason enough to exclude us from using words to describe bratwurst or bresaola or even gefilte fish
So- 3 things on that front:
1.We have a wider reach tan just "Americana".
2. We have international appeal - and members outside of the USA/Canada.
3.Charcuterie as a term - is known, and used all over the world. It does in fact have a broader recognition than any other term that I could find.

Sausage making is but ONE portion  of charcuterie. It is one that I happen to love, and enjoy, and make a good amount of sausage myself - but it is ONE portion. We want to promote  and focus LTBBQ as a place that includes all aspects of things cooked outdoors, or not in traditional kitchen ways. ( Tho - we welcome ALL cooking including "kitchen based" recipes and cooks too ;) )
One could use the same reasoning for jerky. Maybe it should have it's own thread section. Right?
But - if we were to completely parse the number food items into very specified categories...can you imagine just how L-O-N-G the index page would be?  What we have try to do is to strike a balance that would make sense - based on "commonalities". That is why all of the appetizers are together, and all of the desserts are as well. ;D

CANNON-MAN has a forum section focusing on sausage making equipment, and I look forward to contributions made by us all to his forum specifically about sausage, and the making of it - so....maybe that fills a void that some feel we have?

Lastly - we ARE user driven. And, if there is a large enough number of our members that want to change the name of the section - it will be done. But - we cannot  provide separate sections for bacon, jerky, sausage, hams, ...ad infinitum because it become impractical to manage - the Index page length is already an issue. Please discuss it, and make any suggestions. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:26:27 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »
PGood post Jim, I don't like that charcuterie word personally. I thought Charcuteries were mini charcoal briquettes invented by the government to make us feel like we were getting more for our buck

LMAO
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 08:33:13 AM »
I have a Niece who should have been born in the 60's and lived in a commune.  She now lives with her husband and family on Beaver Island in Lake Michigan.  She raises all her animals to provide her with fresh eggs, meat, and goats milk.
My kind of person.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.