Author Topic: No nitrates or nitrites added. Really?  (Read 926 times)

Offline RAD

No nitrates or nitrites added. Really?
« Reply #-1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
Yesterday was hotdog day and while at Wallyworld I saw these and thought to myself, how do you think they could do this?

Ingredients:
BEEF, WATER, CORN SYRUP, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS: SALT, SEASONING (FLAVOR, POTATO MALTODEXTRIN, SAFFLOWER OIL, GUM ACACIA, MIXED TRIGLYCERIDES, SUNFLOWER OIL, PROLINE), DRIED VINEGAR*, BEEF STOCK, CULTURED CELERY JUICE POWDER*, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MINCED ONION, CULTURED DEXTROSE, YEAST EXTRACT, GRANULATED GARLIC, MALTODEXTRIN, PAPRIKA EXTRACT.
*TO PRESERVE QUALITY

How is this not regulated? This is just another way to fool the consumer into thinking they are eating something their not.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love to cook and eat

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: No nitrates or nitrites added. Really?
« on: April 27, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Food ingredient deception is a big business. I particularly like the labeling on the "un-cured" hickory smoked bacon! :D :D :D.

And Cliff can give you the low-down on a host of other ingredient combinations that when combined - make what the label is saying the food item does not contain.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

No nitrates or nitrites added. Really?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:34:32 PM »
Makes me think I better buy from my butcher and not the mass produced garbage.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
Once you start making your own sausage, and bacon - it would not ba a big leap to making your own lunchmeat. And you get to control what is in the end product.

And - the best benefit...it tastes SO much better than the commercial pre-packaged stuff that you will not believe it until you try it.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
Regulations typically just make things worse because people start to trust them blindly (the opinion expressed is solely the opinion of sliding_billy and not that of LTBBQ).  ;D.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:51:44 PM »
Regulations typically just make things worse because people start to trust them blindly (the opinion expressed is solely the opinion of sliding_billy and not that of LTBBQ).  ;D.

My guess is that you are probably in the majority with said opinion ;)....

The more complex rules are - the easier they can be perverted, and circumvented. Loopholes are then searched out, and used. And the wheel goes 'round and 'round..... 8)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
Food ingredient deception is a big business. I particularly like the labeling on the "un-cured" hickory smoked bacon! :D :D :D.

And Cliff can give you the low-down on a host of other ingredient combinations that when combined - make what the label is saying the food item does not contain.

T2 is right. Cliff definitely knows his ingredient combinations.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »
Nothing like lying to your face in that labeling,eh?

I so agree,anytime we can take a whole ingredient and process it at home into our own products,we are just miles ahead in all respects except maybe time?

I dont think just about any company can do it better than we can,especially when the goal is healthier meats.I wont include local butchers/deli's and bakeries in that though,there are some great products for sure from them Im sure are done very well.You know,real foodies who take pride in their products.

Like US! ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:50:59 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
How is this not regulated? This is just another way to fool the consumer into thinking they are eating something their not.

Actually it is regulated and, unfortunately for the unwary consumer, that label meets all FDA & USDA labeling guidelines and regulations.

The initial wording "No Nitrates or Nitrites Added"  is considered accurate because they are not adding Nitrate or Nitrite AS A SEPARATE INGREDIENT!

Because the nitrates are a part of the celery juice, it is NOT considered a separate ingredient. And, because the USDA doesn't recognize vegetable-based nitrates as a regulated curing agent, the manufacturer is REQUIRED to label the product as being "Uncured" which suits the manufacturers just fine, because they want you thinking it's uncured and contains no nitrates/nitrites even though neither is true, nor bad.

Cherry Juice is another form of natural nitrate being used in some of these products.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:50:31 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 08:37:54 PM »
Consumers will never win, all we do is stick together on sites like this and learn from folks who are willing to teach and then pay it forward when we can.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »
Time to get off my behind and get to learning how to make my own sausage and lunchmeat. Got
the bacon down fairly well and will not use store bought anymore unless I am forced to out of necessity.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 07:11:14 AM »
There is deception everywhere in the food industry. And people will pick up that package and feel good that they paid more for the "natural" product.

Stores will also pump carbon monoxide gas into packages of meat to keep the meat looking bright red. Yes the same gas that displaces oxygen in your body and will kill you. So when you open up that package and notice the beautiful cut of meat you just bought is dark gray on the side facing down you will know why.

Consumers need to find out the facts themselves and not from labels.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:22:15 PM »
There is deception everywhere in the food industry. And people will pick up that package and feel good that they paid more for the "natural" product.

Ain't THAT the truth.  I hear all to often, from friends and family members, hey it's healthy...says so right on the package or it's natural...says so right on the package.   I have a friend that tried numerous times to convince me that "baked" potato chips were healthy because they are baked instead of fried.  I finally made my point when I told him that cookies, cakes, and pies are all baked too but that doesn't make them a health food. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline RAD

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »

Ain't THAT the truth.  I hear all to often, from friends and family members, hey it's healthy...says so right on the package or it's natural...says so right on the package.   I have a friend that tried numerous times to convince me that "baked" potato chips were healthy because they are baked instead of fried.  I finally made my point when I told him that cookies, cakes, and pies are all baked too but that doesn't make them a health food.
Something about baked chips that I just don't like. If I eat a chip it's going to be cooked in good oil, or whatever oil they use  ;D
Love to cook and eat

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »

Something about baked chips that I just don't like. If I eat a chip it's going to be cooked in good oil, or whatever oil they use  ;D

I hear you, I rarely eat any kind of chips these days, but on the rare ocassioan that I do, give me the good fried stuff.  Also a good craft beer to go with them, none of the Ultra stuff that is low in carbs.  ::)   
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)