Author Topic: My Take On These Non-stick BBQ Cooking Sheets  (Read 1917 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
My Take On These Non-stick BBQ Cooking Sheets
« Reply #-1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »
Since QVC will not ship to Canada I was able to find these sheets elsewhere on line for  a higher price. Thought they would be good for camping so I bought them anyways at the higher price. So they arrived this morning and I washed them up and proceeded to get the old gasser going. Wanted bacon & eggs for a test run on the mats. Turns out this morning is drizzling and a bit windy. First thing I noticed is they don't stay on the grill in any kind of wind and you really have to baby sit your cook so it don't end up in down the road.  ??? I also was worried about going over the 500 degree max on these sheets. They did cook the bacon nice a crisp the way I like it and the eggs did flip over with no trouble. I guess they will be a nice addition to the trailer for camping as long as I remember where I packed them  ;D

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: My Take On These Non-stick BBQ Cooking Sheets
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:44:52 AM »
Thanks for the info Devo.  I'll have to look into one of these to take camping and use on my GMG DC.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48:06 AM »
Great looking bacon and eggs on the grill.  Mine are still collecting dust, I'll have to break them out and try them soon.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:55:56 AM »
I don't use mine as a "griddle", though I DID cook an egg as an experiment.
I can see where wind could blow it off the grates, but haven't had that problem.
I use my sheets for smaller things like shrimp, asparagus, onions, etc that may fall between the grates.  Also good for melting cheese.  Bacon I cook directly on the grates and about the only time I do that is when I am cooking it to put on hamburgers.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
It made me hungry if nothing else.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline txpops

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
I saw these today at Home Depot for $9.99.
Original Bradley smoker w/dual element mod
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil Beesr
Outdoor Gourmet Pellet Grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 02:38:20 PM »
The bacon and eggs look good except for the broken yolks ;)

They appear to be very non-stick.

I wonder if they are TendaRub safe ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »
I wonder if they are TendaRub safe ::)

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
Thanks for the review Devo.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:07:19 PM »
Do you think they are better than a cast iron griddle or skillet?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 05:35:46 PM »
Do you think they are better than a cast iron griddle or skillet?

Are you askin' me or devo?

You wanna have the right tool for the job...some stuff does better in cast iron.  I would melt cheese in CI...I PREFER to cook salmon on the sheet because of the extreme non-stickiness of it all - oh, and it cooks real well thereon.
The sheets are simply one more tool (kinda like frog mats) in the toolkit.  They are not the "one-and-only", but they are very useful in specific applications.  They aren't as hard to pre-heat and cool down as CI.  I haven't even TRIED to sear anything on them cause they aren't really made for that.  They DO hold up when used with my Quantum IR, so they are pretty heat resistant - but I haven't tried to see where the max point is.
No - I wouldn't try to cook yakisoba or hash browns on grill sheets, but salmon, shrimp, onions, and veggies, etc do very well.

Maybe you weren't askin' me about the CI...in that case I defer to my esteemed colleague - The Devo!
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
I agree with Jaxon
The sheets are simply one more tool (kinda like frog mats) in the toolkit.

I did point my heat gun right at the steel grates before dropping the mat onto it and than right after placing the mat onto the grate and it was at the same temperature instantly.

Offline RAD

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 08:20:25 PM »
What are they made of? I stopped using Teflon because of the reports of risks using it. I know that I can't avoid Teflon completely, especially if I eat out, but at home it choose not use them. Not trying to start a debate about Teflon use but just curious it they are similar material.
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 08:40:17 PM »
What are they made of? I stopped using Teflon because of the reports of risks using it. I know that I can't avoid Teflon completely, especially if I eat out, but at home it choose not use them. Not trying to start a debate about Teflon use but just curious it they are similar material.

They are made from a fluoropolymer plastic, encapsulating a fabric carcass.
The product is FDA approved and has been used in commercial applications for more than 40 years.
They retain no odour, so you can cook fish, wipe your BBQ sheet down then cook pancakes in the same spot.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 09:26:56 PM »
It looks like the same product they sent with my newest dehydrator for a drip sheet at the bottom. Rinse with water and it is clean, of course I used Dawn too :)